What are Kidney Stones?
Kidney stones are minute but solid crystals of minerals and acid salts on the inner surface of the Kidneys. In medical terminology, Kidney stones are also referred to as renal stone disease. They cause extreme and unbearable pain to the sufferer. These small crystals gradually grow in size and cause problems. Mainly, there are four types of Kidney stones. They are: Calcium stones, Uric acid stones, Struvite stones and Cystine stones. These different types of Kidney stones vary in shapes, sizes and colors. It has been observed that four out of five Kidney stones are calcium stones, usually in the form of calcium oxalate. Cystine stones are least common.
Kidneys are meant to filter and remove waste products from the blood. These waste products are meant to be dissolved in the urine and removed from the body. When these waste products fail to get dissolved (like crystallized chemicals), they collect together in the form of crystals and form Kidney stones. As long as these stones stay in the Kidney, no problem is caused. But, when these stones fall in the ureter (the tube that carries urine from the Kidney to the urinary bladder), they act as obstructions.
Most Kidney Stones automatically pass out of the body without any medical intervention. When this does not happen then surgical or non surgical methods are adopted. Non surgical methods consist of medications and natural home remedies.
Causes of Kidney Stones
Kidney stones are likely to form when there is an imbalance in the components of urine. Chemicals like pyrophosphate, citrate, magnesium, prevent the formation of crystals and stones. Low levels of such inhibitors, especially citrate can contribute to the formation of Kidney stones. The most common cause of Kidney Stones is not drinking enough water. Plus, a high-sodium, high-protein, and high-calcium diet may enhance the risk of some types of Kidney stones. People in the age group of 30-45 years are more likely to develop Kidney Stones.
Studies have shown that men are three times more at risk as compared to women.Medical conditions such as Gout, Hypercalciuria, Hyperparathyroidism, Diabetes, Obesity, High Blood Pressure, and Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Urinary tract infections, Kidney disorders such as Cystic Kidney Diseases and hereditary factors are associated with an increased risk of Kidney Stones. Also, certain medicines like calcium containing antacids, diuretics etc may facilitate the formation of Kidney Stones. Besides, the disease can also recur after prior removal of Kidney Stones.
Symptoms of Kidney Stones
Kidney Stones trigger sudden, sharp, cramping pain in the back and side in the area of the Kidney or in the lower abdomen. The pain may be followed by nausea and vomiting. Furthermore, the pain may spread to the groin areas. Other symptoms include, bloody, cloudy or foul-smelling scanty urination and a frequent desire to urinate. If there is an infection, the patient may also suffer from fever and chills.
Natural Home Remedies for Kidney Stones
• Mix one teaspoon of basil juice and one teaspoon of honey and take this mixture daily for six months. This natural home remedy for the elimination of Kidney Stones has been in effect since time immemorial.
• Watermelon contains high concentrations of water and is a rich source of potassium salts. It can be consumed as it is or in the form of juice. Either way, its diuretic properties are unmatched when it comes to the treatment of this disease.
• Chicken Bone Grass is a very popular Chinese home remedy for removing Kidney Stones naturally. Simmer dried red dates and this herb in three cups of water till the water reduces to one third. Drinking this mixture twice a day for ten days without fail can cure as well as prevent further formation of Kidney Stones.
• Prepare a horse gram soup with two tablespoons of horse gram. Drink a cup of this soup with one tablespoon of pomegranate seeds, grounded into a fine paste; acts as an effective cure. Both sour and sweet pomegranates can be used for this purpose.
• Juice extracted from radish leaves is very beneficial. Drinking this juice two times on a daily basis is a tried and tested natural home remedy.
• Eating two or three apples a day is one of the simplest natural home remedies for Kidney Stones.
• The combination of tomato, pepper and salt is another healthy and natural cure. Drink a glass of fresh tomato juice mixed with pinch of salt and pepper first thing in the morning.
• Add 25 grams of Parsley Piert in approximately 600 ml of boiling water. This is one of the few natural home remedies that originated in ancient times and are still being followed.
• Cranberry juice, cucumber juice, celery juice and juice extracted from asparagus have therapeutic properties.
• Cook two onions (each cut in four pieces) in a glass of water on medium flame. Blend the mixture after it cools down and strain it. Drink this juice for at least three days. Natural home remedies of this nature are a bit hard to follow but if followed correctly can help remove the stones in two days.
• Prepare a tea with the silky tassels from a sweet corn cob. This tea has been found useful in healing urinary tract infections and removing Kidney Stone.
• Simply drinking one glass of orange juice every day can help prevent the recurrence of Kidney Stones.
• Mix pineapple juice and an equal amount of water. Add a pinch of nutmeg and a pinch of cinnamon to the juice. Drink this mixture in the morning and night. Continue for four to five days for best results.
• Drink a mixture of containing equal amounts of lemon juice and olive oil. After drinking this mixture, drink a large glass of water. This is one of the most highly recommended natural home remedies for quick relief, as son as 24 hours.
• Slice the pods from Kidney beans. Put 60 gm of the pod in 4ls of hot water and boil for about 6 hours. Filter the resultant mixture through a fine muslin cloth and drink it every two hours.
• Boil two figs in a cup of water and drink this mixture on an empty stomach, preferably in the morning.
• Juniper Berries, Dandelion Leaf and Uva Ursi are some of the effective but uncommon home remedies for
Diet for Kidney Stones
The most important step to prevent and cure Kidney Stones is to drink plenty of water. Next, avoid alcoholic beverages, condiments, pickles, oxalate rich foods (like beans, spinach, beets, sweet potatoes, blueberries, celery, strawberries, chocolate, grapes, rhubarb and green peppers), and calcium rich foods (such as milk, butter, cheese and other dairy products). If the stones are composed of calcium, magnesium phosphates, and carbonates then the diet should be so regulated as to maintain acidic urine. If oxalate and uric acid stones are being formed then efforts should be directed to maintain alkalinity in urine.
Vitamin A facilitates the restoration and healing of damaged mucous membranes along the internal lining of the urinary tract and the bladder. Pumpkins, apricots, broccoli, and cantaloupes are rich sources of Vitamin A. Vegetables and whole grains provide fiber which is an essential element of a healthy diet. Animal proteins should be replaced with vegetable proteins as the former may increase uric acid, calcium, and phosphorus in the urine that may leads to the formation of Kidney Stones.
rajeev gupta says
these home remedies are such very useful for every one
Spanish herbs says
Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you actually know what you are talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please additionally consult with my website =). We could have a hyperlink change agreement between us
Was getting confused on avoiding celery & grapes for kidney Stone diet.. Isn’t it celery are good for kidney as well as grapes?
On other sites they suggest grapes & celery as home remedy for treating kidney stones. :-O
Thanks for all the tips on treating illness at home.
I really appreciate a lot reading your site.
Lisa Mansell says
i just had my first, kidney stone experience…and let me tell you, was the worst pain i have ever experienced in my life, worst than childbirth…when this was happing to me, my boyfriend researched it on computer, he found the combination mixture of lemon juice and olive oil….i’m here to testify , it saved my life….i literately thought i was going to die, i’m not a person that goes to the dr…much. but was ready to go to the ER. after hours of pain,vomiting,fever..i drank the concoction and with in 30 min…i had finally fallen asleep, without an pain..so when i feel that unique pain that is associated with KS. i grab the lemon juice/olive oil…IT WORKS..