What is Leucoderma?
Leucoderma, also known as Vitiligo, is a skin condition wherein there is a de pigmentation of the skin. In other words, there is a loss of melanin which is responsible for determining the color of the skin. Consequently, white patches appear on the affected areas of the skin. This disease is considered more of a social problem because of the appearance of random white patches usually on the face, neck, wrist, back, underarms, hands etc.
Apart from determining the color of the skin, melanin is also responsible for protecting the skin against harmful ultraviolet light. Therefore, Leucoderma puts the patient more at risk of sunburn, skin cancer or other ultraviolet radiation related problems. These white patches are not infectious and are more noticeable and hence embarrassing for individuals with dark skin.
The treatment for Leucoderma usually takes a long time. It mainly focuses on the stabilization of the disease. Dermatosurgical techniques are generally required for getting the skin back to its normal color. Though, due to the general risk associated with surgeries, the patients generally turn to a number of natural home remedies for Leucoderma. These natural remedies have been found effective in safely and successfully dealing with Leucoderma.
Causes and Symptoms of Leucoderma
More often than not, Leucoderma is associated with autoimmune disorders, though it is not necessary. The immune system destroys melanin considering it to be a foreign body. Chemical exposure or destruction of melanin cells by chemical agents may also cause Leucoderma. The exact cause of this disease is not known.
Still, hormonal factors, low immunity, stress have been associated with the occurrence of this disease. Diabetes, jaundice, burn injuries, typhoid fever, measles, worms and other such diseases may also increase the risk of developing Leucoderma, though it has not been proven.
Leucoderma is considered as a harmless disease. It does not cause pain or any other relevant medical complications. The disease starts with white, pale or discolored spots on the affected areas of the skin. These spots become whiter with the passage of time and even hair on the affected area gradually become white in color.
The white patches are generally outlined by darker skin. The disease may also spread randomly to other areas. At times, the disease does not spread even without any treatment. Exposure to sun or chemicals may cause itching on the skin.
Natural Home Remedies for Leucoderma
• Take around 500 grams of turmeric and soak it in about eight liters of water over night. In the morning, boil the solution till only one liter is left. Next, strain and mix 500 ml of mustard oil in it. Again heat the mixture till only the oil is left. Strain and store the resultant mixture. Regularly applying this mixture two times per day till at least three months is a complex yet effective natural home remedy to cure white spots.
• Red clay found on the sides of river or hill slopes serves as one of the valuable natural home remedies for Leucoderma. Apply a mixture prepared from this clay and ginger juice, mixed in equal proportions helps in getting rid of white patches by aiding in re pigmentation of the skin. Similarly, drinking water kept in a copper glass over night is highly beneficial in the home treatment of Leucoderma.
• A poultice prepared from ginger leaves is useful in reducing white spots caused by this disease.
• Simply consuming a glass of neem juice on a daily basis serves as a therapeutic natural remedy for healing Leucoderma.
• Taking a decoction prepared from the leaves and stem of basil plant is one of the most reliable natural home remedies for Leucoderma treatment.
• Crush approximately 35 grams of radish seeds and add about one teaspoon of vinegar in it to make a fine paste. Applying this paste on the affected area can help eliminating the white spots and retaining the normal skin color.
• Taking the juice extracted from goosefoot fruit and applying the juice extracted from its leaves on the white patches is one of the most successful home remedies for Leucoderma. This goosefoot therapy should be continued for at least two months to relieve the problem.
• Regularly drinking cucumber juice mixed with about 100 grams of alfalfa seeds twice a day helps in dealing with white patches caused by this disease.
• Make a fine powder of dried pomegranate leaves and consume about eight grams of this powder two times per day on a daily basis for treating white patches on the skin.
• A mixture of garlic juice and powdered harad fruit can be applied on the white patches of Leucoderma to remove or lessen them to a great extent.
• Applying a paste of black grams in water on the affected area serves as a good remdy to do away with white patches resulting from this disease. But, this home remedy should be followed for at least four months to give encouraging results.
• Soak some psoralea (babchi) seeds in ginger juice for about three days. Change the fluid every day to keep it hygienic and make it more effective. Then, remove the husks of the seeds and dry them in shade. Next, grind them to make a fine powder and regularly take one gram of this powder in a cup of milk for about a month. In addition to this, the powdered seeds can also be applied on the white patches. This is one of the most popular and successful natural home remedies for Leucoderma.
• Alternatively, a combination of psoralea seeds and tamarind seeds can be soaked in water for 3-4 days and then dried and powdered. A paste prepared from this mixture can be applied on the Leucoderma affected area to relieve the problem. Though, this tamarind remedy should be discontinued in case it causes itching or redness on the skin.
Diet for Leucoderma
The treatment of Leucoderma should be supported by a well balanced diet with special emphasis on vitamin D and calcium rich foods and reduction in the consumption of sour foods such as citrus fruits. It is recommended to include adequate amount of figs, walnuts, and buttermilk in the diet as to help cure Leucoderma. Besides, restrict the consumption of salt, meat, fish, jaggery, chilli and other similar sour foods.
Plus, avoid the consumption of denatured cereals like polished rice and pearled barley. Besides, stay away from tea, coffee, alcohol, excess sugar, white flour products, condiments and highly flavored foods to make the treatment more effective.
amit bora says
muje leucoderma hai aur iska ilaj 5 sal se chal raha hai. aur mai 13 years ka hu…