What are Liver Spots?
“Liver Spots” is a misleading term used to refer to patches of dark pigmentation or blemishes on the skin. These spots usually appear on the skin after the age of 40. In certain cases, they may appear in younger individuals as well.
They are also known as Lentigo Senilis, Solar Lentigo or simply Sun Spots. Liver Spots generally do not require any treatment. Still, a number of home remedies for Liver Spots are considered to be highly beneficial in the natural treatment of Liver Spots.
Conventional treatments like laser treatment or cryotherapy also help in removing Liver Spots but they are riskier than the simple and safe home treatments. The unsightly Liver Spots are mostly harmless in nature and are not related to any liver disease.
Causes and Symptoms of Liver Spots
Increasing age and excessive sun exposure or exposure to ultraviolet light over a long period of time are the most common causes of Liver Spots. However, in certain cases these harmless spots may also be caused to unknown reasons. Liver Spots have often been associated with hereditary factors too.
They are more common in individuals with fairer complexion as compared to the ones with darker complexion. The basic reason behind the formation of these brown spots is increased melanin production in the body.
Liver Spots are small, oval and flat light brown to black colored spots or patches on the skin. These freckle-sized spots are generally not painful. Some spots may grow to about one inch in size.
Liver Spots with unusual color combinations, irregular boundaries, extremely dark pigmentation and other unusual symptoms should not be ignored. Face, back of hands, shoulders, arms, upper back and other sun exposed areas are the most common areas affected by this condition.
Natural Home Remedies for Liver Spots
• Applying fresh lemon juice on the affected area for about half an hour is one of the simplest natural home remedies for Liver Spots. Continue this home remedy for about two months to cure Liver Spots.
• A combination of red onion juice and apple cider vinegar is a highly recommended natural remedy for Liver Spots home treatment. For this, add both the ingredients in equal parts and regularly apply the resultant mixture for at least half an hour to heal these spots at home.
• Apple cider vinegar can also be used in combination with orange juice to remove Liver Spots naturally. To prepare this mixture, take two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of orange juice.
• Rubbing aloe vera juice on the affected area is one of the most popular Liver Spots home remedies. Follow this natural remdy regularly for about 1-2 months to get encouraging results.
• Prepare a mixture of one tablespoon each of lemon juice, aloe vera juice and apple cider vinegar in a quarter cup of yogurt. Apply this mixture on the spots for about ten minutes and then wash it off to reduce Liver Spots and Sun Spots to a great extent.
• Applying a mixture of four tablespoons of buttermilk and two teaspoons of tomato juice is one of the most successful natural home remedies for Liver Spots on face. Apply the mixture for about thirty minutes and finally wash it off.
• Regularly rubbing garlic juice on the affected area is another effective natural cure for Liver Spots.
Diet for Liver Spots
A diet rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and zinc is highly beneficial in dealing with Liver Spots. Hence, positively include spinach, soya, cabbage, beetroot, carrot, papaya, cucumber, tomato and a variety of other fresh vegetables and fruits in the diet.
Yogurt, buttermilk, cheese and other daily products are also useful in reducing this problem. Apple cider vinegar is one of the best Liver Spots home remedies. It can be taken internally and externally.
Simply have a mixture of three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and honey in a cup of water on a regular basis to help reduce and fade Liver Spots effectively.
In addition, try to avoid sun damage and sunburn as much as possible. Last but not the least, drink adequate amount of water, stay away from fatty and oily non nutritious foods and reduce the consumption of tea, coffee, alcohol and other such strong beverages.