What is Lost Voice?
The condition of Lost Voice is a throat problem that is mostly caused by inflammation of voice box. Basically, when you speak, air is pushed through the lungs and causes vibration in the vocal cords, thereby producing sound. However, during inflammation of tissues present in the larynx, air is simply forced out of lungs and does not cause vibration, thereby resulting in loss of voice.
Unless caused by the serious conditions like lung tumor, vocal cord paralysis or other such conditions, the problem of having lost voice tends to be temporary in nature.
Therefore, you can follow a number of natural home remedies for Lost Voice home treatment by using simple natural cures and precautionary measures. Voice therapy may also be needed in certain cases.
Causes of Lost Voice
More often than not, the problem of temporary Lost Voice arises due to overuse of voice caused by excessive talking, yelling, singing and other such activities leading to voice strain.
Upper respiratory tract infections like Common Cold, Pneumonia, Bronchitis, Chronic Sinusitis, Chronic Asthma, Tonsilitis etc can also cause the same.
Mouth breathing, coughing, postnasal drip, use of Asthma inhalers causing yeast infection in throat and dryness in throat because of certain medications increase the chances of developing the problem.
Besides, conditions like Laryngitis, Acid Reflux and certain autoimmune diseases like Relapsing Polychondritis, Sarcoidosis and so on can contribute in causing Lost Voice.
The problem can be induced by Emotional or Psychological Stress as well. Allergies and exposure to vocal irritants may also lead to loss of voice. In case the condition does not heal within two weeks then it is recommended to consult a doctor.
Symptoms of Lost Voice
Generally, Lost Voice does not mean complete loss of voice or else you would not be able to generate sound even while coughing or clearing your throat. It refers to weak, coarse voice or voice fatigue. Issues like sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, difficulty swallowing and feeling of fullness in throat may also be present.
As Lost Voice can cause problems in communication, you would surely want to heal this ailment as soon as possible. Given below are some highly beneficial Lost Voice home remedies that are easy to follow. In addition, you will have to be patient. Remember the famous German proverb, Speech is silver; silence is golden.
Natural Home Remedies for Lost Voice
• Resting your voice is a valuable home remedy to cure Lost Voice naturally. So, avoid talking and even whispering. In fact, whispering tends to cause more strain in the vocal folds. Moreover, restrain from clearing your throat repeatedly as it can cause throat irritation.
• Drinking warm herbal teas like that of peppermint, Echinacea, chamomile, licorice root, slippery elm bark, eucalyptus leaves, ginger, lemon, etc are highly beneficial in reducing throat problems causing loss of voice. Do not forget to add honey to make these herbal cures more effective.
• Gargling with warm water mixed with half a teaspoon of salt is a highly beneficial natural remedy for Lost Voice treatment at home. Follow this treatment three times in a day but do not gargle too forcefully as can put more strain on the vocal cords.
• Having a mixture prepared by adding half a teaspoon of fresh basil juice in a teaspoon of honey serves as a good natural cure for Lost Voice. Follow this therapy about 3-4 times in a day.
• Inhaling steam and drinking plenty of water are the best natural home remedies for Lost Voice caused by dry throat. This is useful in soothing the throat and vocal cords.
• Sucking herbal lozenges and chewing gums are helpful in dealing with Lost Voice by keeping the throat moistened. In addition, take hot showers and use humidifiers.
• Take half a glass of warm water and add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in it. Drink this solution to recover Lost Voice naturally. You can also add honey and lemon juice in the solution.
• Drinking a cup of lukewarm milk mixed with some black pepper powder can help relieve throat discomfort associated with Lost Voice. Simply having a cup of warm water mixed with three teaspoons of honey, two teaspoons of sugar and two ounces of lemon juice is also beneficial reducing the problem.
• Specific breathing techniques and exercises are considered as excellent natural home remedies for Lost Voice natural treatment. They also help a great deal in achieving control over voice. When following this therapy, it is essential to relax the abdominal muscles first.
• Aromatherapy and localized massage are also considered as valuable Lost Voice natural remedies.
Diet for Lost Voice
Dietary measures like taking nutritious foods, drinking 8-10 glasses of water and including lots of warm fluids in the diet are highly beneficial in relieving this problem. If you are not used to drinking plenty of water then keep sipping it at regular intervals. You should also try to include more garlic, black pepper and ginger in your diet to ease throat irritation.
In addition, avoid smoking and drinking alcohol, caffeinated and carbonated beverages as they can aggravate the problem by drying the throat further. Follow the tips and natural home remedies for Lost Voice for a few days and give rest to your vocal cords to get rid of this problem in a natural way.
Good remedies .What type of chewing gum should I try.