What is Lower Back Pain?
Lower Back Pain is the most common type of back pain that is more common in older individuals but it can be cured with the help of a number of conventional medicines as well as natural home remedies for Lower Back Pain relief.
Acute or short term Lower Back Pain caused by injury in spinal bone and tissues, mostly lasts for a few days or week. However, in case of chronic pain in the lower back is mostly progressive in nature and lasts for more than three weeks.
It is mostly caused by sprain or spasm in any muscle or ligament present in the lumbar region. At times, kidney infections, stones, hematoma, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, tumors and other similar issues can also cause Lower Back Pain. Therefore, before adopting any conventional or home treatment for Lower Back Pain, it is essential to analyze the exact reason causing pain.
Causes and Symptoms of Lower Back Pain
Besides, congenital abnormalities, viral infections, joint or disc irritation and other such problems may also cause the same. Factors like poor posture in general or while sleeping, obesity, smoking, pregnancy and stress tend to increase the risk of developing this ailment.
Individuals aged 30 to 50 are more susceptible to this problem because of decrease in muscle elasticity and tone with increasing age. Lower Back Pain accompanied by muscle twitching and pain when coughing is often considered as a symptom of Pinched Nerve.
Back pain due to Fibromyalgia may be characterized by multiple tender points and morning stiffness. Moreover, infection in nerves due to Shingles may also give rise to pain in lower back.
Lower Back pain is characterized by pain or numbness in the lower back region. Backache experienced during twisting, bending, sitting points towards muscle spasms or herniated discs.
Patients suffering from Diabetes are likely to complain of progressive weakness in legs as well. Lower Back Pain accompanied by problems with bowel and bladder function is caused by a rare nerve root problem known as Cauda Equina Syndrome.
Natural Home Remedies for Lower Back Pain
• Take about four tablespoons of coconut oil, sesame oil or mustard oil. Heat it and fry 8-10 garlic cloves in it on a low flame till garlic becomes light brown in color. Finally, strain the oil and cool it. Applying this oil on the back for about three hours is one of the best natural home remedies for Lower Back Pain. Follow this therapy regularly for at least half a month.
• Applying raw potato poultice for about one hour is another effective natural cure for Lower Back Pain home treatment. For this, put a few grated raw potatoes on a thin cotton cloth, cover with another thin piece of cloth on the top and use it as a poultice.
• Massaging the affected area with warm castor oil is highly beneficial in healing Lower Back Pain. Lightly massaging with a mixture of warm mint oil and turpentine oil is also useful in relieving low back pain.
• Placing hot packs or heating pads on the affected area for 15-20 minutes is one of the most common natural home remedies for Lower Back Pain relief temporarily. In case of injuries, cold packs can be used for the first two days.
• Boil cabbage leaves in some milk until a somewhat jelly-like paste is formed. Wrap in a piece of cloth and apply it on the affected area as a means of natural treatment for Lower Back Pain.
• A combination of juice extracted from a lemon and some common salt is a valuable natural remedy for Lower Back Pain. Consume this mixture on a regular basis to get rid of low back pain. Having warm water or milk mixed with a tablespoon of honey is also beneficial.
• Taking a combination of cramp bark and black haw tinctures mixed in equal quantities for three days, every three to four hours is helpful in reducing the pain.
• Another simple home remedy for Lower Back Pain is having a small piece of chebulic myroblan fruit after meals.
• Yoga, chiropractic manipulation, physical therapy, acupressure, acupuncture are some excellent Lower Back Pain home remedies.
• When dealing with Lower Back Pain, it is advised to exercise moderately and go for brisk walks regularly so as to relax the strained muscles and joints. Swimming is considered as a good exercise for back. Needless to add, maintain proper posture, especially when engaged in strenuous work for long hours.
When standing or sitting for a long time, change your posture occasionally to prevent Lower Back Pain. Avoid wearing heels or at least opt for one inch long heels. Also, avoid slouching on soft couches. Instead, go for firm chairs supporting your back and enabling you to lean at 110 degrees angle approximately (torso to thigh).
While sleeping, try to sleep on your back or on a side with knees bent at right angles. You can place a pillow below the knees to keep them elevated. In addition, opt for a firm sleeping mattress that does not sag in the middle.
Diet for Lower Back Pain
Diet to reduce and cure Lower Back Pain should focus on the inclusion of steamed and lightly cooked vegetables like cabbage, carrot, spinach, cauliflower and so on. Salads prepared from cucumber, tomato, radish, lettuce, sprouts etc are also beneficial.
Another tip to ease Lower Back Pain is to add one gram dry ginger powder, and five cloves and pepper corns in your tea while preparing it. Moreover, regularly consume strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, pineapples, kiwis, oranges and other fruits rich in vitamin C.
Restrict the consumption of processed, fatty foods and caffeinated beverages. Apart from following these dietary measures and natural home remedies for Lower Back Pain, try to maintain a healthy body weight and take proper rest.