What are Mosquito Bites?
This is perhaps one of the most common and equally annoying problems, particularly in warm and humid tropical regions. Interestingly, it has been observed that Mosquito Bites are actually caused by female mosquitoes as they tend to feed on human blood. They rely on human blood as it contains iron and protein required for the development of their eggs.
Symptoms of Mosquito Bites develop because of the saliva of these insects. When a mosquito bites, it sucks the host’s blood and leaves its saliva on the skin. This saliva, containing anti clotting, anti platelet and anti vasodilatory substances causes inflammation at the site of the bite.
Therefore, the first step for dealing with Mosquito Bite at home is to wash the area with a mild soap and water. After that, numerous home remedies for Mosquito Bites natural treatment can be followed to heal this condition effectively.
Causes of Mosquito Bites
Mosquito Bites are more common in tropical and sub tropical regions as the climate in the warm and humid climate of these regions favors the growth and subsistence of these insects. However, certain species can also adapt well in cooler climates.
As mosquitoes are known to be dawn and dusk feeders, most mosquitoes generally rest during daytime and become active during evening time. Mosquitoes mostly decide upon biting individuals on the basis of their body odor.
This smell from perspiration enables them to detect certain chemicals which they find more favorable. They are also attracted to heat. As adults tend to become less sensitized because of prior exposure to such bites, they tend to develop fewer symptoms as compared to children being bitten fewer times.
Although Mosquito Bites are usually not considered too serious still, Mosquito Bites by some particular types of mosquitoes can cause serious ailments. For instance, diseases like Yellow Fever, Dengue Fever, Malaria and other such diseases are caused by mosquitoes carrying disease-causes viruses and parasites.
Symptoms of Mosquito Bites
Generally, Mosquito Bites are characterized by the presence of red or pink bumps on the affected area. It causes itching. The auto immune response of the body gives rise to these symptoms. In severe cases, allergic reaction to Mosquito Bite can lead to blistering rashes and inflammation involving larger areas.
Development of urticaria, worsening of asthma symptoms and anaphylaxis are some other rare allergic reactions caused by Mosquito Bites. Mosquito allergies are quite rare and tend to affect individuals with immunodeficiencies.
Natural Home Remedies for Mosquito Bites
• As it is difficult to resist the urge to scratch the affected area, it can be scratched with the soft, pulpy side of a lemon slice so as to avoid the chances of developing any infection.
• Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for Mosquito Bites. Rubbing the affected area with a cotton ball soaked in apple cider vinegar is highly beneficial in relieving the intense itching caused by the bite.
• Simply applying ice on the affected area helps to reduce Mosquito Bites swelling and itching.
• Lavender oil and tea tree oil are regarded as excellent natural home remedies for Mosquito Bites home treatment. Preferably, these essential oils should be applied in combination by mixing about 2-3 drops of each of these oils. A mixture of olive oil and vinegar also serves as a good natural cure for Mosquito Bites.
• Similarly, applying a combination of grapefruit seed extract and water or any vegetable oil is a valuable Mosquito Bites natural remedy.
• Application of crushed basil leaves is trusted herbal remedy used for reducing this problem considerably.
• Rubbing the inner side of banana peels on the site of the bite relieves Mosquito Bite related itching.
• Applying aloe vera gel on the bitten area is another therapeutic home remedy for Mosquito Bites. It not only helps to reduce the itching but is also valuable for healing the wound.
• A paste prepared from baking powder and water can also be applied on the affected area get rid of this problem.
Alternatively, a solution of baking soda added in a glass of water can be applied on the area with the help a cotton ball and left for about 15-20 minutes. A solution of salt and water can also be used in the same way.
• Applying a mixture of garlic powder and water acts as good natural mosquito repellent and hence helps prevent Mosquito Bites to some extent.
• Honey, rubbing alcohol and strong tea mixed with rubbing alcohol serve as some popular Mosquito Bites home remedies.
As mosquitoes breed in wet areas and still waters, it is highly recommended to stay away from standing waters like ditches and swamps so as to avoid Mosquito Bites. Besides, empty water from toys, buckets, and flower pots etc holding standing water since a long time.
Diet for Mosquito Bites
Diet for healing Mosquito Bites naturally should focus on the inclusion of nutritious fruits and vegetables containing essential vitamins and minerals. Vitamin E is highly beneficial in this regard.
Plus, certain studies have indicated that having vitamin B1 is useful in repelling mosquitoes naturally because it emits some specific odor through the skin. Consuming foods like garlic, cinnamon, cloves, lemon, brewer’s yeast, mint leaves, basil leaves and other similar items with strong odors helps to keep mosquitoes away.
Moreover, as mosquitoes are attracted by body odor, avoid excessive sweating and wearing long sleeved and light colored clothes in areas with lots of mosquitoes. These basic steps act as effective home remedies for Mosquito Bites prevention because prevention is surely the best cure for this irritating problem.