What is Nail Growth Process?
On an average, nails grow about 0.1 mm per day. Fingernails usually grow faster than toenails. Moreover, it has been observed that nails grow faster in men as compared to women. However, women’s nails tend to grow faster during pregnancy. They grow faster in summers than winters. Needless to add, rate of nail growth varies from person to person.
Basically, nails are made up of a translucent protein substance called keratin that protects nails against cracking, splitting, breaking etc.
When new nail cells form, they form a form a flat, protective covering over the nail bed (nail bed is present underneath the skin).
These new cells lengthen the nails by pushing out layers of old nail cells and each layer moves forwards alongside. The nail bed facilitates this process passively.
Natural nail growth can be affected by a number of reasons. But, you can adopt various tips and natural home remedies for Nail Growth to get rid of these problems and improve nail growth naturally.
For instance, it is often recommended to trim the nails straight across and round them slightly at tips to avoid ingrown toenails and hence maintain strong, healthy nails.
Causes and Symptoms of Nail Growth Problems
Nail growth problems can be caused by problems in any of the six parts of nail structure including nail root, nail bed, plate, eponychium (cuticle), perionychium, and hyponychium. Apart from this, nail fungus is one of the most common causes of nail problems. Nail trauma, nail matrix injury, habit of nail biting etc can also affects growth of nails adversely.
Besides, vitamin deficiencies make nails dull and brittle. Natural Nail Growth is influenced by age, season, gender, diet, hormonal imbalance, hereditary factors and conditions like Nail Psoriasis. Interestingly, nails on dominant hand grow at a comparatively faster rate.
Nail problems are often indicated by dry and brittle nails. Diseases like Psoriasis and thyroid disorder can cause the nails to separate from nail bed. Nail clubbing is considered as a sign of lung disease, liver disease, heart disease etc. Vertical ridges, white bands on nails, bluish color, nail splitting indicate nutritional deficiencies like that of iron and protein.
Natural Home Remedies for Nail Growth
• Soaking the nails in a mixture of three tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of lemon juice is one of the best natural home remedies for Nail Growth. Follow this home treatment for about 10 minutes to strengthen nails. Preferably, heat the mixture in microwave before soaking.
• Soaking the nails in half a cup of tomato juice mixed with two tablespoons of olive oil is also beneficial in healing nail problems and promoting growth of nails.
• Simply applying warm olive oil also serves as an effective Nail Growth home remedy.
• Rubbing a slice of lemon on nails also helps maintain shiny nails and promotes Nail Growth naturally. Follow this therapy regularly for about five minutes and then rinse with water.
• Having jellies or other foods containing gelatin is regarded as a good natural cure for this problem. However, this belief is not backed by scientific evidence.
• Almond oil, jojoba oil, flaxseed oil, pumpkin seed oil, wheat germ oil and vitamin E oil work as excellent Nail Growth home remedies.
• A combination of lavender oil and tea tree oil not only avoids nail damage but also helps prevent nail breakage. Follow this natural Nail Growth treatment by diluting the mixture in water and then soaking the nails in the solution for 5 minutes.
• Herbal tea by adding 3/4th teaspoon of dried horsetail stems in two cups of boiling water is another valuable natural remedy for Nail Growth. To prepare this herbal remedy, steep the mixture for about 10-15 minutes, strain it. Add honey to improve the taste. Finally, drink this herbal tea to cure brittle nails and enhance Nail Growth. You can also soak your nails in a mixture of chopped horsetail stems, honey and boiling water.
• Green tea, white tea, almond extract and aloe vera are also useful in increasing Nail Growth.
• Going for frequent manicures is one of the most popular Nail Growth tips used to stimulate faster Nail Growth.
• When using these natural home remedies for Nail Growth, follow a few additional tips as well. For instance, keep the nails clean and moisturized but do not leave them wet because wet nails are more susceptible to infection.
Moreover, avoid using nail cosmetic products containing strong chemicals to prevent unnecessary nail damage. Avoid using formaldehyde based nail polishes, instead, opt for vitamin enforcing ones. When working in garden or washing dishes, make sure you wear protective gloves to protect your nails.
In addition, wear clean socks and comfortable footwear to avoid problems in toenails. Do not use nails as tools for sturdy tasks as it can make them weak.
Diet for Nail Growth
Diet rich in Vitamin A, B2, B12, C, D, E, iron, calcium, protein etc is highly beneficial in facilitating Nail Growth natural treatment. Therefore, consume a variety of fruits, vegetables and nuts such as carrot, carrot juice, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, figs, peas, dried beans, baked beans, sunflower seeds, red pepper, alfalfa, cashew nut, walnut, melon, strawberry, milk, yogurt, cheese, buttermilk, etc.
Plus, drink adequate amount of water at regular intervals throughout the day to stay hydrated and stimulate proper nail growth. Besides, follow the above mentioned home remedies for Nail growth and keep in mind that fingernails usually take about 6-8 months and toenails take nearly 12-18 months to grow out completely.
I have been searching everywhere and this is the one website I got good info from. Thanks!
nice give some more easy tips
nice give some more easy tips.. theseare ausome really!!!great!!
i really hope this works so many girls have beatiful long hair and long nails and ever since my disaster hair cut and stress from high school chaos causing m to bite my nails i have had fairly short hair vs my long hair tat went all the way to my waist and my natural french tips are gone so now i’m on my way to regrow the all back. hope tis works!!! <3
lakshita gour says
Your tips are really good. I will try it. I have very bad habit of biting nails and i want to leave this, with help of you i think i defiantly have leave this problem……………………………!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKSSSSSS……………………….!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to know if the other oils get mixed together or used separately, almond oil, jojoba oil, flax seed oil, wheat germ oil, vitamin E oil.
Kimmy B says
Thanks for the info i really apreciate it
Nice tips that really worked
seresthi kundu says
there is gud. Remides for nails like the olive oil is gud. For our nails for quickly nails growth. Thanks
Ive been havin the worst troubles with nail growth and my nails stayin their natural length.This site is awesome on anything needed to learn!!Spent lots of money and time so thanks to all from this page!!