What is Nasal Congestion?
Nasal Congestion or congestion in the nasal passages is a common problem associated with common cold, sinus infection, influenza, allergies etc. It causes nasal blockage which in turn makes it difficult to breathe through the nose.
Hence, this condition of congestion is more serious in case of infants than in adults because infants generally breathe through the nose. Basically, this annoying problem is caused due to swelling of the tissues lining the nasal cavity which in turn is caused by irritation and inflammation of the blood vessels, thereby causing nasal blockage.
In most of the cases, Nasal Congestion clears away on its own within a week’s time. Still, a number of home remedies for Nasal Congestion natural treatment can be adopted at home to help deal with Nasal Congestion effectively and get rid of this ailment as soon as possible.
Causes and Symptoms of Nasal Congestion
More often than not, Nasal Congestion is caused by sinus infections, cold, pneumonia, nasal polyps, allergies, hay fever, vasomotor rhinitis and repeated use of nasal sprays or drops for more than three days. Pregnant women are more likely to suffer from this problem.
Nasal Congestion is characterized by stuffy nose and is often accompanied by runny nose as well, though it is not necessary. Severe Nasal Congestion may also cause further problems such as Ear Infection, sleeping troubles, snoring etc. In children, Nasal Congestion because of enlarged adenoids may lead to chronic sleep apnea and even right sided heart failure.
Natural Home Remedies for Nasal Congestion
• Breathing steam is one of the best home remedies for Nasal Congestion. Using warm compresses in the form of warm, wet towel on the face is also beneficial in reducing Nasal Congestion at home.
• Inhaling steam of boiling water mixed with a few drop of eucalyptus oil also serves as a valuable natural cure for Nasal Congestion. Two to three drops of this oil can also be added in a vaporizer or humidifier. This is one of the most popular natural home remedies for Nasal Congestion in children.
• Add half teaspoon each of distilled vinegar and salt in a cup of water and boil the solution. Cool the mixture and use it as a homemade nasal spray for curing Nasal Congestion. However, do not overdo this remedy.
• The aroma of a combination of one to two teaspoons of grated horseradish mixed with one teaspoon of honey or apple cider vinegar helps a great deal in reducing Nasal Congestion naturally.
• Inhaling the vapors of half a cup of boiling water mixed with a few drops of grapefruit seed extract is a successful Nasal Congestion natural remedy. This therapy should be followed two to three times in a day to get encouraging results.
• Breathing fumes of apple cider vinegar by heating a pan filled with apple cider vinegar up to two inches is also regarded as a successful home remedy for clearing nasal blockage.
• Decoctions prepared from herbs like elderberry, bay berry and other such herbs are highly beneficial in the home treatment of Nasal Congestion.
• Consuming a mixture of water and a few drops of oil of oregano about one or two times in a day is a useful natural remedy for relieving Nasal Congestion naturally.
• Lying on a couple of pillows while sleeping is a tried and tested home remedy for easing Nasal Congestion related breathing troubles during sleeping.
• Herbal teas like ginger tea, chamomile tea, echinacea tea, mint tea, anise tea, green tea etc serve as therapeutic Nasal Congestion home remedies.
Diet for Nasal Congestion
When dealing with Nasal Congestion, try to drink warm herbal teas, soups and vegetable broths to loosen the mucus and hence relieve this problem to a great extent. Plus, include more vitamin C and zinc rich foods in the diet to boost the immune system and facilitate the process of healing.
Add more onion, garlic and pepper in the regular meals to make them more pungent and spicy. For instance, prepare tomato soup by adding garlic paste, lemon juice and black pepper in it. Spicy and pungent foods are highly beneficial in clearing Nasal Congestion naturally.
In addition, drink plenty of water throughout the day and increase the humidity in air with the help of humidifier or vaporizer. Besides, restrict the consumption of high calorie foods to avoid the chances of aggravation.
Dairy products, nuts and food items containing wheat gluten may also worsen the symptoms in certain individuals. Hence, this annoying ailment can be healed in a natural way by following these dietary measures and carefully following the natural home remedies for Nasal Congestion.
Leave a Reply