What is Neuritis?
Neuritis is a serious nervous disorder. It is characterized by an inflammation of the nerves, whether a single nerve or a series of nerves. Is involves a change in the state of the nerves leading to loss of the reflexes, weakness, changes of sensation. There are two primary types of Neuritis, namely Optic Neuritis and Peripheral Neuritis. Inflammation of the optic nerve is known as Optical Neuritis. It may cause sudden, reduced vision in the affected eye. But, generally it has been observed that the reduced vision often returns to normal within two to three weeks even without treatment. It is caused by viral or bacterial infections. On the other hand, Peripheral Neuritis may be caused by pressure placed on the nerve due to remaining in one position for too long. Experts have suggested a combination of moderate exercises and several natural home remedies for Neuritis.
Causes of Neuritis
Neuritis frequently results from injuries such as a bad bruise or heavy pressure over a nerve trunk dislocation and fractures of the bones that cause pressure on a nerve just beneath the skin. Besides, it may result from a tumor or from infected or scarred connective tissue that compresses the nerves. Such inflammation of the nerves can be the result of infections and post infections like tuberculosis, meningitis, chicken pox, mumps, measles and a host of such disease. It may be caused by pernicious anemia as well (involving the nerves of the spine). Multiple sclerosis is a commonly known cause of Optic Neuritis.
Afflictions such as AIDS, alcoholism, diabetes, leprosy, seizures, and a variety of nutritional deficiencies and metabolic disturbances such as faulty calcium metabolism, deficiencies of several B vitamins like B12, B6, B1, Pantothenic acid and B2 and general toxemia are responsible for causing Peripheral Neuritis.
Symptoms of Neuritis
Neuritis is characterized by a tingling and burning sensation in the affected nerves accompanied by stabbing pains and tenderness. It may cause impaired sensation, strength, and reflexes, abnormal circulation and decreased ability to sweat in the distribution of the inflamed nerve or nerves. It may further lead to numbness and paralysis of the nearby muscles. For example, in case of an inflammation of facial nerve, changes in the facial nerve on the affected side may result in temporary paralysis of the face muscles. In an acute stage, the patient may not be able to close his eyes due to the loss of the normal strength of the muscles on the affected side of the face.|
Optic Neuritis gives rise to symptoms like blurring of vision, changes in the way the pupil reacts to bright light, visual flashing sensations brought about by side-to-side eye movement or sound, loss of some or all color vision, complete or partial blindness and pain behind the eye. The symptoms tend to worsen with heat or exhaustion. Peripheral Neuritis generally results in numbness tremors and an imbalance in walk. The patient tends to feel tired and weak due to or a general feeling of heaviness.
Natural Home Remedies for Neuritis
• One of the simplest natural home remedies for Neuritis related pain and irritation is to add one cup of Epsom salt to a tub of lukewarm bathwater and soak in this water for about 15 minutes twice a day.
• Drinking at least half a liter of a mixture of raw juices of carrot and spinach is beneficial in the treatment of Neuritis caused by nutritional deficiencies.
• Prepare a mixture by adding one teaspoon of honey to one cup of soya bean milk. Take this mixture every night. By far, this home remady has been deemed as the most important natural home remedy for curing Neuritis. To prepare soya bean milk first, soaking the soya beans in water for about 12 hours. Secondly, remove the skin of the beans after a thorough wash and grid them to make a fine paste. Mix thrice the amount of water in the paste. Next, boil the milk a low flame and stir occasionally. When it becomes cool, strain it through a cheese cloth and add sugar.
• Eating fresh orange flowers with honey acts as an effective tonic for nerves. Taking 10 grams of this mixture on a daily basis has shown good results in the overall healing process. One can also take the water distilled from these flowers (petals of bitter orange should be preferred).
• Boil about one fourth cup of pearled barley rain in half a cup of water till the mixture reduces to one fourth of the original mixture and finally strain it. Half a glass of buttermilk and the juice of half a lime can also be used. This barley brew is considered one of the most effective natural home remedies for Neuritis.
Diet for Neuritis
The diet for Neuritis treatment as well as prevention should consist of plenty of red and orange fruits like pineapples, carrots, oranges, beetroot and apples. Pulses, fruits and vegetables should provide essential nutrients to the body. The perfect diet should also include sprouts, milk, yoghurt and cottage cheese. Processed and refined foods containing artificial additives can worsen the condition. In this regard, sweet bakery products especially pastries should be avoided because they are high in sugars, artificial flavors and processed flours.
Whole grains, sprouts, beetroot, pineapple, oranges and yoghurt are rich in Vitamin B. A combination of Vitamin B1, B2, B6, B12 and pantothenic acid help in curing the disease by reducing the weakness, pain and swelling of the nerves. In severe cases, one of the easiest home remedies is to put the patient on a short juice diet for 4-5 days before moving to the normal diet. Carrots, apples, pineapples and other citrus juices may be used for the juice diet.
Leave a Reply