What is Osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is a common disease of the bones that makes them weak and prone to damage. It causes breakdown or thinning of bone tissue that eventually results in loss of bone density. As a result, the bones become fragile thereby increasing the risk of fractures. Post menopausal women are more susceptible to this disease.
In this condition, the body reabsorbs the calcium present in the bones to suffice its needs like regulating the heart rate, muscle contractions, blood pressure and other bodily functions. Calcium helps in transmitting signals to nerves and muscles. When this progressive resorption is not substituted by formation of new bones, it results in porous bones or Osteoporosis.
It is a chronic disease that increases the risk of bone injuries and fractures especially fractures of hip, spine, and wrist. Lifestyle changes in terms of healthy diet and adequate exercise form the basis of treatment for Osteoporosis. Plus, a number of natural home remedies for Osteoporosis have been found to be highly beneficial in dealing with this disease.
Causes of Osteoporosis
As already mentioned, the main cause of Osteoporosis is progressive resorption of calcium and other important elements in the bones without sufficient replacement. The bone formation process is greater than the resorption process during the early years of life, especially in the mid 20’s and 30’s. After that, the resorption exceeds the process of formation. It results in deficiency of calcium, phosphorus and other important organic matter present in the bones.
Therefore, individuals who fail to achieve optimal peak bone mass are a higher risk of developing this disease. Usually, women have less bone mass than men and are more likely to develop this disease. Menopause and removal of ovaries affects the optimum level of estrogen which helps in regulating the process of bone loss.
Other factors in both men as well as women include chronic kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis, hyperparathyroidism, other endocrine disorders, Hematologic disease, calcium deficiency, vitamin D deficiency etc. Apart from these hereditary factors and intake of certain medicines like anti seizure drugs also increase the chances of developing this disease. Smoking and alcohol consumption have also been associated with the incidence of Osteoporosis.
Symptoms of Osteoporosis
Osteoporosis leads to decrease in the bone mass and makes them more fragile. The disease is not characterized by any specific symptoms in general and hence fails to get noticed in its early stages. The occurrence of fractures caused by minimal trauma usually point towards this disease.
Older individuals tend to adopt a stooped posture in the presence of this disease. This gives the impression of having a loss of height due to spinal deformities. Other symptoms manifested during the later stages are bone pain and tenderness, pain in the lower back and neck, limited mobility and other such symptoms.
Natural Home Remedies for Osteoporosis
• Soak some almonds in water over night. In the morning, remove their skin and blend them in some milk. Drinking this mixture regularly serves as one of the most valuable natural home remedies for Osteoporosis prevention and treatment.
• Taking some sesame seeds daily in the morning is highly beneficial in the treatment of Osteoporosis.
• Drinking dandelion tea on a regular basis is one of the most popular and effective natural home remedies for Osteoporosis.
• Exposure to tender sunlight in the morning is a simple home remedy to reduce and cure Osteoporosis as sunlight is good source of vitamin which helps to increase bone density.
• Having two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water helps to release calcium and other essential minerals found in foods like green vegetables. Take this remdy once in the morning to get rid of the disease.
• Simply having one teaspoon of honey on a daily basis is regarded as a valuable natural remedy to prevent Osteoporosis as it facilitates calcium utilization.
• Therapeutic herbs like Black Cohosh, Chaste Berry and Dong Quai are efficient home remedies for Osteoporosis cure.
• It is believed that water walking helps to relieve bone and joint discomfort and makes them feel lighter. So, walk in chest deep water to reduce Osteoporosis by reducing stress from bones.
Diet for Osteoporosis
A healthy diet with special emphasis on calcium rich foods is one of the most highly recommended home remedies for Osteoporosis. Yogurt, cheese, low fat milk, and soy products like tofu are highly beneficial in this regard. Although, excessive consumption of dairy products is generally not advised as it causes acidification. Besides, the diet should positively include more green leafy vegetables, especially spinach.
Apples, grapes, pears, pineapples and various nuts and seeds are good for bone health and help a lot in dealing with this disease. Peanut butter is a good source of manganese that helps build and strengthen bones. Hence, it can be consumed moderately. Brussels sprouts, beans, broccoli, whole wheat etc are useful in healing Osteoporosis naturally by increasing bone density.
Flaxseed oil and fish oils rich in omega-3 acids should also be included in the diet. Plus, consumption of sprouts helps to reduce this problem as it is a good source of vitamin K. Moreover, regular exercising like walking, jogging etc helps to make the bones strong. Apart from these remedial measures, restrict the consumption of alcohol and stay away from cigarette smoking to avoid aggravation of the disease.