What is Palpitation?
Palpitations can be felt in the chest, throat or neck. Palpitation is a condition in which an individual feels the abnormalities in the normal heart beats. It cab be felt in the chest, neck or throat. These irregular, hard or rapid heart beats are occasionally felt by everyone at some time or the other.
Though, an increase in the frequency, intensity or duration of Palpitations may indicate the presence of an underlying disease, especially heart disease. Such Palpitations caused by abnormal heart rhythms can be serious and even fatal if not treated in time. Palpitations accompanied by chest pain, difficulty breathing,
dizziness, sweating, or fatigue should not be ignored at all.
Usually, factors like shock, undue exertion or stimulants may cause Palpitations in healthy individuals. Loss of blood, lack of oxygen and excessive pains are some common causes of Palpitations. Abnormal levels of electrolytes like magnesium, potassium, calcium etc may also result in the same. Treatment for Palpitation depends on the underlying cause.
At times, beta blockers are administered in dealing with this ailment but they have their own side effects like fatigue, depression, low blood pressure, worsening asthma just to name a few. On the other hand, a number of natural home remedies for Palpitation have been proved safe as well as effective in the treatment of Palpitations.
Causes of Palpitation
Apart from heart problem, Palpitations may also be caused due to anemia or a thyroid malfunction. Stress, panic attacks, anxiety disorder or other psychological conditions often lead to Palpitation. Other factors include consumption of caffeine, nicotine, cocaine, alcohol, marijuana, diet pills, thyroid replacement medicines, asthma medicines, anti depressants etc.
Basically, there are three types of Palpitations. They are Hyperdynamic circulation, Sympathetic overdrive and Arrhythmias. Hyperdynamic circulation can increase the blood pressure and pulse pressure and is associated with anxiety, exercise, pregnancy, vascodilator drugs, hepatic failure etc. Sympathetic overdrive is generally associated with anemia, heart failure, hypoglycemia, mitral valve prolapsed, antihistamine medicines and other related factors.
Arrhythmias or abnormal heart rhythms are abnormalities in the heart beat pattern. The heart could beat too slow, too fast, skip a heart beat, take an extra one etc. For instance, standing up straight after bending over can rouse a rapid heart rate.
Normal rate of heart beat ranges between 60 to 100 times per minute. Most of the cases of Arrhythmias are not considered as a serious problem. Though, Ventricular tachycardia is the most serious type of Arrhythmias which can be fatal too.
Symptoms of Palpitation
Basically, Palpitation makes an individual conscious or aware of his/her heart beat whether the heart is beating at its normal frequency or not. Severe and prolonged Palpitations may give the feeling of a thudding or fluttering sensation in the chest. Other related symptoms are tightness in the chest, light headedness, nausea, vomiting etc.
Natural Home Remedies for Palpitation
• Regularly drinking a glass of water mixed with one tablespoon of honey and lemon juice (extracted from half a lemon) is one of the simplest yet effective home remedies for Palpitations. Take this mixture at night before going to sleep.
• Mix powdered dry coriander, powdered aniseed and grounded jaggery in equal proportions. Merely taking six grams of this resultant mixture after meals is a therapeutic natural remedy to cure heart palpitations.
• Daily eating a ripe guava on an empty stomach is regarded as one of the best natural home remedies for Palpitations caused by anemia or nervousness.
• Taking about one or two tablespoons of juice extracted from the leaves of snake gourd plant is highly beneficial in curing Palpitations. This home remedy is sure to give encouraging results if followed three times per day on a daily basis.
• Chamomile tea and peppermint tea are excellent home remedies for Palpitations caused by anxiety and stress. Shredded leaves of cabbage can also be added to chamomile tea to make it more effective to increase its therapeutic properties.
• Take some Indian Spikenard herb and mix a pinch of cinnamon and camphor in it. Consume about 2-3 grams of this mixture to heal this ailment naturally. An infusion can also be prepared from this herb and taken in doses of 30 to 60 ml thrice a day. Spikenard is an aromatic rhizome and acts as a good cardiac stimulant.
• Consumption of grape juice on a regular basis is one of the most widely used natural home remedies for Palpitations.
Diet for Palpitation
Individuals complaining of Palpitations should make it a point to include fresh fruits and vegetables in their diet. A simple diet consisting of lightly cooked vegetables is highly beneficial in this regard. At times, Palpitations are also caused by overeating, constipation or flatulence.
Proper steps should be taken to get rid of these problems which in turn will help in getting rid of or at least reducing Palpitations. Fresh green vegetable salads, sprouted vegetables, nuts, milk, buttermilk and other similar items should be positively included in the diet.
As stated earlier, Palpitations can be caused by caffeine, alcohol, nicotine etc. Therefore, avoidance of tea, coffee, alcohol, cigarette smoking and other similar substances can help avoid Palpitations. Besides, restrict the consumption of foods with strong condiments, chemical additives, excessive sugar, white flour products etc. Apart from these measures, another valuable remdy for Palpitation treatment is regular exercise, whether in the form of walking, outdoor sports or yoga.
Leave a Reply