What is Peptic Ulcer?
Peptic Ulcer is also known as Stomach Ulcer, Duodenal Ulcer, or Esophageal Ulcer depending on the location of the Ulcer. Peptic Ulcer is a painful condition that is usually caused by long term use of non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs or bacterial infection caused by Helicobacter pylori bacterium. The pain and discomfort tends to get worse with time in the absence of proper treatment.
Stomach or Gastric Ulcers generally form on the upper curve of the stomach. Duodenal Ulcer and Esophageal Ulcer are ulcers occurring in the Duodenum and Esophagus respectively. Duodenum is the first section of the small intestine. Esophagus is the tube that connects the mouth to the stomach.
Erosion of the lining of these organs by strong stomach acids and digestive juices leads to the formation of sores and lesions. These sores in the lining of the digestive tract are referred to as Peptic Ulcers. Empty stomach gives rise to more stomach acids thereby aggravating the problem and making the pain even severe.
Peptic Ulcers are generally treated with the help of antibiotics in case they are caused by bacterial infections. But, nowadays people have started looking for natural cures in the form of natural home remedies for Peptic Ulcers to heal the disease safely and successfully without the risk of any harmful side effects. Timely treatment of this ailment and taking preventive measures can help avoid serious complications requiring surgeries.
Causes of Peptic Ulcer
Bacterial infection and prolonged use of non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like aspirin, etodolac and ibuprofen are most common causes of developing Peptic Ulcers. At times, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, a disease characterized by over production of stomach acid, may also damage the walls of the gastrointestinal tract and lead to the formation of ulcers, though it is a rare cause of developing this disease.
Factors like stress, acidity and spicy food do not cause Peptic Ulcers themselves, but they may affect the process of healing and cause delay. Cigarette smoking is also known to irritate stomach lining and contribute in the development of such Ulcers. Besides, smoking also hinders and slows down the treatment procedure by causing complications like stomach obstruction, ulcer bleeding, perforation etc.
Symptoms of Peptic Ulcer
Symptoms commonly associated with Peptic Ulcers include upper abdominal burning, indigestion, pain, irritability and other symptoms depending on the location of the disease. The pain tends to occur 2-3 hours after having a meal. As the ulcers tend to heal and recur, the patient might experience sudden disappearance of the pain after for days or weeks of pain. At times, the patient may have mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. This usually happens with kids and older individuals.
Duodenal Ulcers are characterized by an empty feeling, hunger and a steady pain just below the breastbone. Gastric Ulcers may cause Edema resulting in bloating, burping, nausea, and vomiting after eating. This results in loss of appetite and loss of weight. Further complications may result in bleeding, low blood pressure, perforation, dizziness,
Natural Home Remedies for Peptic Ulcer
• Boil about half a liter of water with 250 grams of cabbage in it. Boil it till the water reduces to half and let it cool. Drink this infusion two times per day on a regular basis to help cure this disease. Regular consumption of raw cabbage juice mixed with carrot juice is one of the best natural home remedies for Peptic Ulcers.
• Regular intake of carrot juice (300 ml) mixed with spinach juice (200 ml) is yet another as a therapeutic home remedy for Peptic Ulcer treatment. Carrot juice can also be taken in combination with 100 ml beet juice and the same amount of cucumber juice.
• A paste prepared from drumstick leaves (about 10 grams) and half a cup of yogurt is one of the most trusted natural home remedies for Peptic Ulcer.
• Fenugreek tea prepared from fenugreek seeds is highly beneficial in the treatment of Peptic Ulcers as it helps in the formation of a protective shell or coat over the ulcer thereby reducing constant erosion by stomach acid. This, in turn help in the process of healing.
• Soak 15 grams of leaves of wood apple in approximately 250 ml of water over night. Then, strain and drink this mixture in the morning and continue this remdy for at least one week. This natural remedy works in the same manner as fenugreek tea by forming a protective coat over the ulcer. Juice extracted from wood apple fruit is also regarded as one of the most valuable natural home remedies for Peptic Ulcers.
• Drinking brown rice water serves as an effective natural cure for bleeding ulcers.
• Consumption of unripe plantain and bananas are considered valuable in the natural treatment of this disease.
• Comfrey tea, cold chamomile tea and warm dandelion tea are popular home remedies for Peptic Ulcers caused by infection.
• Taking goat’s milk (raw) three times a day is also beneficial in dealing with Peptic Ulcers. Almond milk or milk mixed with a few drops of castor oil help ease the symptoms associated with this disease.
Diet for Peptic Ulcer
Vitamin A is considered highly beneficial in preventing as well as treating Peptic Ulcer Disease. Therefore, vitamin A rich fruits, vegetables and their juices should be positively included in the diet to get rid of this painful illness. Carrot, cabbage, peach, blackberry, orange, and watermelon are good sources of vitamin A.
It is recommended to avoid eating raw vegetables for a few days. Instead, try to include steamed green vegetable like alfalfa, broccoli, and tomatoes in the diet. Fiber rich foods and honey are also valuable in curing Peptic Ulcers.
Besides, milk helps to relieve Peptic Ulcer pains. Though, it should not be taken in excess as it increases the production of stomach acid, which in turn worsens the illness. Fried junk foods and animal proteins are difficult to digest and are hence best avoided. Plus, tea, coffee, alcohol, tobacco, sugar, spices and condiments are known as stomach irritants. Thus, the intake of these items should also be restricted.
Ndagire annie says
Thanx for these easy home remedies
dilip kuma r khanwani says
i have read your sugestion thanks pls send me more for i am suffering from 4/5 years gastric problems
dilip kuma r khanwani says
thanks/plssend more sugtion
Chike Nzelegu says
Please tell me how my stomach ulcer could be healed?