What are Pinworms?
Pinworms are parasitic roundworms that are white in color. They are about the size of a staple. Pinworm infestation occurs when an individual swallows microscopic Pinworm eggs. The threadlike worms usually develop about 3-4 weeks after swallowing the eggs.
It is more common in children than adults. It is an infectious disease that can spread easily from one child to another. The worm is commonly known as seat worm or thread worm and referred to as Enterobius vermicularis in medical terms. This type of infestation with intestinal worms can be cured with the help of prescribed conventional medicines.
Moreover, home remedies for Pinworms natural treatment can also be adopted to get rid of this infectious disease. Pinworm eggs present on beddings, clothes, toys or other objects can be contagious up to two weeks. Therefore, cleanliness plays an important role in avoiding Pinworms to some extent.
Causes and Symptoms of Pinworms
Pinworms live and reproduce in the human intestines. Basically, these intestinal worms fertilize female worms in the intestines. After fertilization, the female Pinworms travel down the colon and lay their eggs at the rim of the anus and secrete a substance that gives rise to intense itching.
The infection spreads when the affected individual scratches the anal area and then touches other objects, thereby transferring the eggs. As young children often put their hands in mouth, thereby ingesting Pinworm eggs, they are more at risk of developing this problem.
Itching and irritation in the perianal area, the area around the anus is the most important symptom of Pinworm Infestation. As the females lay their eggs during night or early in the morning, the itching becomes more troublesome during that time.
The worms can be seen in the perianal area. Persistent scratching can also give rise to bacterial infection. In certain cases, the condition may be asymptomatic.
Natural Home Remedies for Pinworms
Before starting with the natural home remedies for Pinworms, it would be better to first make sure you do are dealing with Pinworms. Therefore, at night, when the child is asleep, look at his/her anal region by spreading the cheeks of the buttocks.
You will find these worms looking similar to small piece of cotton. Try to collect a sample to help your doctor diagnose the condition accurately by picking a few worms with a pair of tweezers and storing the sample in a small bottle or plastic bag. You can also use a butt tape to collect the sample.
• Consumption of garlic is one of the most popular natural home remedies for Pinworms home treatment. Both cooked as well as raw garlic can be consumed. It can also be taken along with honey two to three times in a day for about one week. Alternatively, you can apply a paste of crushed garlic and petroleum jelly on the anal opening to cure Pinworms by killing the eggs.
• Having papaya and raw pineapple is another simple natural remedy for Pinworms. Raw pineapple, in particular, has anti parasitic properties.
• Prepare a decoction by adding 6-7 lupine seeds in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it at least 4-6 times in a day to reduce Pinworm infestation gradually.
• Drinking a mixture of 5-10 drops of grapefruit seed extract mixed in a glass of water is also useful in getting rid of this problem. Have this home remedy about 2-3 times in a day for three to seven days. As grapefruit seed extract is bitter in taste, it can also be added in juice.
• Bathing with warm water mixed with some Epsom salt helps relieve Pinworm related itchiness. Have this Epsom salt bath about once in a week.
• Aromatherapy is considered as one of the most effective Pinworms home remedies.
Diet for Pinworms
When dealing with Pinworms, it is highly recommended to include high-fiber foods like carrots and other raw vegetables in the diet and restrict the consumption of animal foods, refined carbohydrates and sugars.
In addition, taking one or two garlic cloves on a regular basis is also beneficial in the home treatment for Pinworms. Taking raw seeds of fruits such as watermelon seeds, papaya seeds, pumpkin seeds and sprouts is also useful in healing the condition.
Moreover, it is essential to maintain good hygiene by keeping the hands clean at all times by washing them with antibacterial soap, washing the beddings and clothes regularly and refraining from nail biting in order to avoid Pinworms.
As this is an infectious problem, in most of the cases the treatment consisting of over-the-counter as well as natural home remedies for Pinworms are better directed at all the members of the family.