Knowledge of home remedies for Post Nasal Drip is very important as it is very common problem especially in winter. Long term use of antihistamines, decongestants and nose sprays for its treatment causes several problems like rebound rhinitis.
Upper Airway Cough Syndrome (UACS) or Post Nasal Drip occurs due to the nasal mucosa disorder. Excessive mucus is produced by the nasal mucosa which is deposited in the throat or back of the nose.
There can be many causes such as laryngopharyngeal acid flux (with or without heartburn), rhinitis (allergic or non-allergic), swallowing disorder (esophageal motility disorder) or by sinusitis (acute or chronic). Several common irritants are
A person can suffer with following problems in Post Nasal Drip
• Feeling of fullness within the stomach
• Bad breath or halitosis
• Frequent spitting
• Constant swallowing
• Tickling in the throat
• Rhinorrhea , a condition of running nose due to mucus flow
• Mucus deposition in throat which needs to be removed frequently
• Cracking voice
• Itchy chest
• Burning sensation in throat
• Nasal and sinus congestion
• Breathing problem
• Yellow or white masses formed in the tonsils which are often known as tonsil stones
Well, whatever may be the reason for you having a Post Nasal Drip, you can not ignore it and must take precautions to combat it. Follow some remedies to curb Post Nasal Drip
• Chew the traditional root ginger. This is one of the most highly effective home remedies for Post Nasal Drip.
• Keep hydrating the sinuses by drinking lots of water. The moisture keeps it less prone to infection. You can also intake any other liquid such as herbal tea or lime water.
• Elevate the level of vital component vitamin C in your body to aid in healing this problem. You can easily do so by the intake of fruits and vegetables which are garnered with Vitamin C such as cabbage, lime strawberries, oranges and many more citrus fruits.
• Saline nasal sprays helps in thinning of mucus work as valuable solution for Post Nasal Drip. It also causes elimination of many irritants which are present.
• You can also use warm salty water to clean your nose. Breathe this water slowly and then blow your nose to throw the excess water. Initially it stings but soon you will be use to it. This is one of the well known and effective home remedies for Post Nasal Drip.
• Use salt water to gargle. This technique flush away thickened mucus.
• Have nutrient dense diet of lowest calorie, most nutrient dense fruits, beans, grains, nuts, veggies, and seeds.
• Intake of hot soup helps to get rid of Post Nasal Drip. It is also one of the best treatments.
• Mouth odor or halitosis can be easily cured by eating a few twigs of fresh parsley.
• Do not overlook blowing your nose.
• Try to breathe sterile air. You can do so by using distilled water in the humidifiers.
• Elevate the head of your bed or place more pillows under your head to help in draining sinuses.
Things to avoid
• Avoid air-conditioned environment when you are suffering from Post Nasal Drip as it aggravates runny nose.
• Avoid dairy foods. They create excess mucus.
• Avoid stress. Chill out as sinus is the part of nervous system. Stress at nervous system leads to Post Nasal Drip. Take rest and relax.
• Do not sleep on your back.
• Use steroid medications only in severe conditions. Serious side effects are associated with steroids.
• Avoid shower due to potential burning of skin. Steam bath is highly effective simple therapy in this condition, especially for pregnant women.
• Avoid cold drinks and ice-creams.
If you suspect all the symptoms mentioned above, then your problem might be connected to Post Nasal Drip. Approach preventions, tricks and home remedies for Post Nasal Drip and get rid of it.