What is Pregnancy Nausea?
As the name itself indicates, Pregnancy Nausea is a condition in which pregnant women experience nausea and uneasiness, usually during the first trimester of pregnancy. It is a classic symptom of Morning Sickness.
This is usually a common problem during pregnancy. The severity of Pregnancy Nausea varies from one woman to another. In some women, it begins in the sixth week and lasts till 12-14 weeks, while in some it persists throughout the pregnancy. It is believed that this problem is more troublesome in case of first pregnancy and tends to lessen in pregnancies thereafter.
Although this condition is not considered harmful in most of the cases, apart from short term dietary deficiencies still, it would be better to reduce and control this unpleasant problem as far as possible so that it does not interfere with the mother and the baby’s health.
Therefore, numerous home remedies for Pregnancy Nausea natural treatment have been in effect since time immemorial to heal this problem.
Causes and Symptoms of Pregnancy Nausea
Though Pregnancy Nausea is often associated with changes in hormones or blood sugar levels due to pregnancy, the exact reason that causes this condition is still not known. Pregnant women carrying twins, triplets etc tend to experience more Pregnancy Nausea perhaps due to higher levels of Human chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG).
Nonetheless, sensitivity to certain odors like that of perfumes, gasoline, cigarette smoke, certain foods and other strong odors is believed to be the most common factor that triggers nausea during pregnancy. Besides, some pregnant women also go through a feeling of nausea when they move or change their position rapidly.
Tiredness, stress and anxiety tend to aggravate the problem. It has been observed that women with sensitive gastrointestinal tract, history of motion sickness, migraine headaches, pregestational diabetes, or genetic predisposition are more susceptible to Pregnancy Nausea.
The condition may or may not be accompanied by vomiting. It is often characterized by a feeling of queasiness, restlessness, headache, fatigue, dizziness and other similar symptoms.
Severe Pregnancy Nausea and Vomiting leading to loss in pre pregnancy weight, dehydration, anemia and other similar issues is considered as a complication and known as Hyperemesis.
Natural Home Remedies for Pregnancy Nausea
• Having a small amount of simple snacks like dry crackers, plain biscuits, toasted whole grain bread etc before bedtime and after waking up is one of the most effective natural home remedies for Pregnancy Nausea. In addition, try to have small frequent meals every 2-3 hours.
• Getting up slowly in the morning, preferably after resting for 20-30 minutes after waking up is another highly recommended Morning Sickness and Pregnancy Nausea home remedy.
• Taking peppermint tea, spearmint tea, chamomile tea, ginger tea, ginger candy, lemonade etc serves as a highly beneficial natural cure for Pregnancy Nausea and Morning Sickness.
• Smelling some fresh mint, orange or lemon peel or sucking a piece of peeled ginger can also help ease and control your nausea.
• Inhaling some peppermint oil is a valuable natural remedy for Pregnancy Nausea home treatment. In addition, you can place a few drops of peppermint oil or lavender oil in a humidifier to spread its aroma.
• Using acupressure bands is one of the most popular home remedies for Pregnancy Nausea relief. These wristbands help reduce Pregnancy Nausea by pressing a particular acupressure point present on the wrist.
• Alternative therapies such as prenatal yoga, meditation, aromatherapy and acupuncture also work as excellent Pregnancy Nausea home remedies.
• Regular light exercise and exposure to fresh air can help ease this problem to some extent.
Diet for Pregnancy Nausea
When dealing with Pregnancy Nausea, it is recommended to include more proteins and complex carbohydrates in the diet, carefully restricting the intake of simple carbohydrates and fats. Fresh vegetables, nuts and dairy products are highly beneficial in this regard.
At times, pregnant women tend to avoid fluids and skip meals altogether due to feeling of nausea. But this is not a good idea. In fact, staying empty stomach can worsen the condition.
Thus, it is advised to have water, juicy fruits like melons, watermelons and smaller, easily digestible meals at regular intervals. Saltine crackers like potato chips are useful in settling the stomach and dealing with excess saliva production during pregnancy.
Regularly taking adequate amount of prenatal vitamins like vitamin B6 is also useful. Stay away from foods that seem to trigger the problem in order to avoid Pregnancy Nausea. Avoid brushing your teeth immediately after having a meal as it can trigger nausea and vomiting.
Besides, avoid alcohol, smoking, reduce the consumption of spicy and oily foods, and adopt the above mentioned simple natural home remedies for Pregnancy Nausea to get rid of this problem.
Leave a Reply