What are Puffy Eyes?
When the skin around the eyes becomes swollen or puffy then the condition is commonly referred to as Puffy Eyes. Puffy Eyes could be caused by a number of reasons, such as lack of sleep, a genetic predisposition etc.
The skin around the eyes is prone to puffiness because it is thin and sensitive. Plus, certain medical conditions also cause under eye puffiness mostly due to fluid retention.
Aging also increases puffiness around the eyes. Application of numerous therapeutic home remedies for Puffy Eyes helps in getting rid of this problem in a safe and natural way.
Causes and Symptoms of Puffy Eyes
Some common factors giving rise to Puffy Eyes are Stress, hormonal changes, lack of sleep, high salt diet, hangover due to alcoholism and certain hereditary factors. At times, eyes tend to become puffy after over sleeping.
Moreover, crying also causes the strained eyes to become puffy because strong emotions cause an increase in the blood flow through the eyes.
Puffy or baggy eyes can also be associated with the normal process of aging when the tissues and muscles around the eyes weaken thereby causing fat supporting the eye muscles to move towards the lower eyelids.
Puffy Eyes could also be caused due to excess fluid retention in the body due to intake of certain medications. Pregnancy women are also susceptible to this condition due to fluid retention.
Besides, conditions like Mononucleosis, Hay Fever, Hypothyroidism, Periorbital Cellulitis, Dermatitis, and Allergies etc increase the risk of developing this problem. Severe and persistent Puffy Eyes may indicate the presence of a serious medical condition like renal infection.
As the name suggests, the most obvious symptom of Puffy Eyes is the presence of swelling around the eyes. Dark circles may also be present. When under eye puffiness is accompanied by pain, blurred vision or general eye discomfort, it can be considered as a sign of an underlying eye problem.
Natural Home Remedies for Puffy Eyes
• Placing cold teabags (preferably black tea) on the eyes for about 5-10 minutes is one of the most popular natural home remedies for Puffy Eyes and Dark Circles. They tend to sooth and relax the muscles and tissues around the eyes, thereby facilitating the process of healing.
• Simply splashing cold water on the face serves as a good home remedy for Puffy Eyes. Bits of ice can also be wrapped in paper towel and placed on eyes to get rid of this problem.
• Cucumber is tried and tested natural cure for Puffy Eyes. Make use of this excellent natural remdy by placing cold cucumber slices on the eyes to reduce puffiness and swelling. Similarly, potato and apple slices also serve as highly beneficial natural remedies for reducing under eye puffiness.
• Using cotton balls soaked in chilled milk or rose water also helps in dealing with under eye puffiness. Ice cubes prepared from rose water can also be used.
• Placing a washcloth soaked in chamomile tea on the eyes for about 10 minutes is one of the most effective Puffy Eyes home remedies. Witch hazel can also be used under the eye lids in the same way.
• Add one teaspoon of cucumber juice in half a cup of basil tea and freeze the mixture. Regularly massage the eyes with the help of these ice cubes to prevent and cure bags under eyes.
• Another odd yet effective puffy Eye remedy is to place cold metal spoons on the eyes. Refrigerate the teaspoons for a few minutes before placing them on eyes. Follow this procedure two to three times to provide relief.
Diet for Puffy Eyes
A diet rich in vitamin A helps to prevent Puffy Eyes to a great extent by keeping the eyes healthy. In addition, stay hydrated by consuming adequate amount of water and natural fruit and vegetable juices.
Besides, keeping the head elevated while sleeping is one of the most highly recommended home remedies for Puffy Eyes natural treatment. So, while sleeping use two pillows below the head to prevent Puffy Eyes.
Plus, avoid rubbing the eyes vigorously to avoid further eye troubles. Needles to add, give sufficient rest to the eyes by sleeping properly. However, do not over sleep.