What are Respiratory Diseases?
Diseases affecting the respiratory system of the body are referred to as Respiratory Diseases. They include diseases like Asthma, Emphysema, Tuberculosis, Influenza, Pulmonary Hypertension, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Lung Cancer and many other diseases. Some of these are common while some are rare.
These diseases tend to affect the lungs, air passages, air sacs, windpipe and bronchial tubes present in the respiratory system. They can be acute or chronic in nature. Acute Respiratory Infections are quite common, especially in young children.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary/ Lung Disease (COPD) is a combination of chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema. Bronchitis is characterized by the inflammation of the main air passages resulting in breathing difficulties. Respiratory infections caused by bacterial infection are generally cured by antibiotics. But, the same antibiotics are rendered ineffective in case of viral infections.
Hence, it is important to know the exact cause behind the disease before starting the treatment. Natural home remedies for Respiratory Diseases have also gained popularity in the recent times in the natural treatment of Respiratory Diseases as they are completely safe and free from side effects.
Causes and Symptoms of Respiratory Diseases
Acute Respiratory Infections are usually caused by viral infections. These infections can prove to be fatal for children under the age of five. Hence prompt treatment is necessary in such cases. Moreover, exposure to smoke, dust, mists, fumes and other industrial wastes encountered in different working conditions can be held responsible for causing respiratory troubles.
Radioactive substances have been linked with an increased risk of developing Lung Cancer. Tobacco abuse, cigarette smoking and environmental pollution are also harmful for respiratory health. In fact, long term smoking has been known to cause Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases.
Hereditary factors have also been associated with certain Respiratory Diseases like Asthma and Allergies. Asthma causes narrowing of the bronchial tubes due to increased sensitivity of the airways resulting in inflammation. Asthma attacks are common during night hours.
The most obvious symptom of Respiratory Diseases is shortness of breath or breathlessness. Common respiratory and non respiratory symptoms of a number of Respiratory Diseases are chest discomfort, inflammation in the respiratory tract, wheezing, loss of appetite, weight loss, fatigue, fever, cough with or without mucus etc.
At times, certain respiratory conditions cause the skin to become pale or bluish in color because lack of oxygen in the blood which in turn indicates poor functioning of the lungs. Recurring respiratory or lung infections often point towards the presence of a chronic respiratory condition.
Natural Home Remedies for Respiratory Diseases
• Simply having a glass of warm water mixed with lime juice and one or two teaspoons of honey is one of the best home remedies for Respiratory Diseases related to coughing.
• Add some honey in a quarter teaspoon of mustard seeds and grind the mixture well to form a paste. Consume this therapeutic mixture on a regular basis to reduce Respiratory Diseases causing congestion in the chest.
• Carom seeds and turmeric powder make for one of the most successful natural home remedies for Respiratory Diseases. For this, add one teaspoon of powdered carom seeds and the same amount of turmeric powder in a half liter water and boil the mixture. Then, cool the resultant solution and take one tablespoon of this mixture along with a teaspoon of honey to cure Respiratory Diseases accompanied by chest congestion.
• Prepare a natural remedy by boiling a mixture consisting of one cup sesame oil and three tablespoon nutmeg powder. After cooling, apply this remdial mixture on the chest to relieve breathing problems caused by Respiratory Diseases.
• Applying a combination of half cup coconut oil (warm) and one teaspoon of camphor is one of most effective natural home remedies for Respiratory Diseases.
• Mix carrot juice and warm milk in equal quantities and keep the resultant mixture aside for about four hours. Drink this mixture several times in a day at an interval of three to four hours. This home remedy is useful in healing Respiratory Diseases by getting rid of mucus.
• Herbs like marshmallow, yarrow, St John’s Wort, fennel seeds and eucalyptus are efficient home remedies for Respiratory Diseases. Infusions prepared form the leaves and flowers of these herbs help in eliminating respiratory problems in a natural way.
• Consuming a teaspoon of a mixture prepared from onion juice and honey is useful in avoiding respiratory infections. A combination of honey and ginger juice or juice extracted from betel leaves is also beneficial.
• Another remedy with honey is to take a mixture of three teaspoons of honey and one teaspoon of garlic oil. Take this home medicine three times per day to cure Respiratory Diseases naturally.
Diet for Respiratory Diseases
A number of lifestyle and dietary measures are highly beneficial in dealing with Respiratory Diseases. A diet rich in proteins and vitamin C is considered favorable in this regard. So, soy products, sprouts, egg whites, seafood, low fat dairy products and citrus fruits should be positively included in the diet.
Having a teaspoon of juice extracted from basil leaves at regular intervals throughout the day helps to cure respiratory conditions, especially coughs. Drinking plenty of water and natural juices helps in easing respiratory troubles, especially the ones caused by infections. Salt water gargles are beneficial in respiratory tract infections causing Cough and Cold.
Sugar, fats and meat products should be avoided as far as possible to avoid worsening of the disease as these items have a tendency to increase the production of mucus. Foods with excess salt should also be avoided. Plus, quit smoking to avoid Respiratory Diseases to a great extent.