What is Shingles?
Shingles is a common painful disease caused by the reactivation of Chicken Pox virus (herpes varicella zoster). The disease is characterized by the presence of localized skin rashes. It usually affects older individuals, over 50 years of age. Face, chest and abdomen are the most common areas affected by this disease.
Individuals who have had Chicken Pox disease are more at risk of developing this disease. Basically, the chicken pox virus tends to stay dormant in the nervous system even after the elimination of the disease.
At times, certain factors tend to reactivate this virus, usually after a long time. Therefore, when the virus reactivates, it tends to cause Shingles.
The treatment for Shingles usually focuses on reducing the symptoms. Conventional antiviral medicines are also useful, especially when taken in the early stages of the disease. Besides, several natural home remedies for Shingles have also been proved beneficial in the natural treatment of this disease.
Causes and Symptoms of Shingles
As already mentioned, Shingles is caused as a result of reactivation of the Chicken Pox virus. This reactivation of the dormant virus could be triggered by factors like Stress, weakened immune system and other such factors.
Immune systems could be weakened due to a variety of reasons like increasing age, immune suppressing treatments like chemotherapy or the presence of diseases like Cancer, AIDS etc.
The disease usually takes place only once. Recurrence happens only rarely. At times, the skin rashes caused by Shingles tend to develop secondary bacterial infections.
The symptoms of Shingles start with increased sensitivity or pain in the affected area. Whether sharp or dull, the pain tends to be continuous in nature. Typical Shingles skin rashes usually appear on one side of the body 2-3 days after the manifestation of the initial symptoms.
The painful and itchy red rashes or blisters filled with pus remain on the skin for about a week and then dry out subsequently. The condition could be accompanied by severe nerve pain in the affected nerves even after the disappearance of the rashes.
Other symptoms like fever, chills, headache, fatigue, gastrointestinal problems etc may also be present. The rashes may leave behind scars or areas characterized by loss of pigmentation even after healing.
Natural Home Remedies for Shingles
• Applying cold compresses or ice cubes wrapped in a towel is one of the most popular natural home remedies for Shingles, especially in the initial stages. A solution of baking soda and water and water can be used as a cold compress to relieve Shingles pain and itching.
• Having oatmeal baths for about 20 minutes is another highly beneficial Shingles natural remedy. Cornstarch can also be used in the same way to heal the ailment.
• Applying a combination of raw honey, aloe vera gel and leek juice is one of the most effective natural home remedies for Shingles rash.
• Dilute half a cup of apple cider vinegar in about two cups of water and apply it on the affected area with the help of cotton balls to cure Shingles.
• Boil two teaspoons of dried lemon balm leaves in a cup of water and apply this therapeutic home remedy on Shingle rashes. Follow this Shingles home treatment several times in a day to get rid of this problem.
• Herbal teas prepared from a combination of various herbs like mint, sage, rosemary, thyme etc serve as excellent Shingles home remedies. These herbal remedies can also be applied directly on the affected areas to reduce and cure this disease naturally
• Taking about one teaspoon of St. John’s wort is regarded as one of the most successful Shingles home remedies as this herb acts as a natural antiviral home medicine.
• Mix one teaspoon of parsley juice in some celery and carrot juice and apply this mixture on the affected areas as an efficient natural remdy for Shingles rash and pain.
• Pear fruit also work as natural antiviral medicine. It serves as a safe Shingles home remedy, either in the form of fruit or juice.
• Yoga, aromatherapy and acupressure also work as efficient natural remedies for Shingles home treatment.
Diet for Shingles
A balanced and healthy diet rich in essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B12, vitamin C, vitamin E and zinc is considered highly beneficial in dealing with Shingles.
Therefore, citrus fruits, carrots, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, green leafy vegetables, milk and other nutritious foods should be positively included in the diet to heal Shingles naturally.
In addition, having adequate amount of rest and engaging is relaxation exercises like meditation also facilitate the process of healing. Apart from this, restrict the consumption of nuts, seeds, cereal grains and chocolates as they tend to aggravate the symptoms.
Shingles is the easy part.
My husband was left with HPN terrible Head nerve pain day and night.
any remedies for that?
we are doing acupunture, Chiropractor, Lyrika medication
anything else someone would like to add ?
We’re running out of Ideas.
carroll mellinger says
My aunt said to drink olny water lay in bed and cool out all day, I am 69 have shilgles and low blood sugar and have a seizure disorder and asthma , is this women nuts?
Had shingles in February. Left with nerve damage in breast area and under the arm to the elbow. Pain is very severe and constant. I have tried all of the recommended nerve pain medicine prescribed by the Dr. Some times that seems to really cause the nerves to really wake up and cause more pain. Does any one have any good home remedies.