What is Sinusitis?
The term Sinusitis refers to an infection or allergic reaction resulting in inflammation of one or more Sinuses (Paranasal Sinuses). Simply put, Sinuses are empty cavities within the cheek bones, around the eyes, and behind the nose. Each of these moist air-filled cavities lined with mucus membranes have an opening into the nose.
Depending on its duration, Sinusitis can be classified as Acute, Sub acute or Chronic. Acute Sinusitis usually lasts up to four weeks. Sub acute Sinusitis can last for four to twelve weeks whereas Chronic Sinusitis can last for more than 12 weeks, even up to several months.
It has been observed that Sinus Infections are generally caused after nasal congestion caused by Colds. Such nasal blockages with trapped mucus encourage the growth of bacteria. Sinusitis caused by bacterial infection is found to be more painful than the one caused by viral infection.
Sinusitis can be caused by a number of reasons. Therefore, the treatment to cure Sinusitis depends on the cause. Apart from medicines, the treatment also calls for specific measures to reduce congestions in the Sinuses. Several natural home remedies for Sinusitis have been found beneficial in this regard since time immemorial. Moreover, these natural remedies are absolutely safe and easy to follow. In fact, most of the over the counter spray nasal decongestions, if used for more than 3-5 days, can worsen the congestion.
Causes of Sinusitis
A combination of swelling and infection (usually, upper respiratory tract infections) generally leads to Sinusitis. Asthma and allergies caused by dust, pollen, smoke, air pollutants and other such factors are also some common causes of Sinusitis. Rapid change in air conditions due to temperature and humidity may also result in the same.
Kartagener syndrome or immotile cilia syndrome can also be associated with this ailment because such diseases affect the functioning of cilia (small hair in the Sinuses). Chronic Sinusitis is often associated with immune problems that reduce the body’s ability to fight infections. Hormonal imbalances and stress also contribute in causing this ailment.
Narrow nasal drainage passages, tumors, polyps, shifted nasal septum or other nasal structure related reasons can also be responsible for causing Sinusitis. Surgeries are generally recommended for such cases. Besides, intake of certain medicines can affect the functioning of mucus membranes thereby resulting in Sinusitis. At times, the root of a diseased tooth may infect the Sinus cavity within the cheekbones and lead to Sinus related problems.
Symptoms of Sinusitis
Some common symptoms of acute Sinusitis are headache, facial pain, fever, fatigue, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, nasal discharge, and nasal obstruction. Chronic Sinusitis is also accompanied by nasal congestion, post nasal drip and severe headache (that tends to worsen on leaning forward).
Earache, bad breath, snoring, sore throat, and puffy eyes are some of the less common symptoms of this disease. When the infection spreads to the Sinus around the eyes, it may cause swelling of the area around the eyes. If the infection spreads to the brain, it may result in Meningitis.
Natural Home Remedies for Sinusitis
• Therapeutic herbs like Echinacea, Lemon balm, Astragalus and Oregon graperoot are efficient natural home remedies for Sinusitis. In case the patient has allergy from ragweed then Echinacea should be avoided.
• Inhaling peppermint steam is said to treat Sinusitis naturally by opening up Sinuses.
• Taking one or two teaspoons of juice extracted from raw ginger two times a day on a regular basis is one of the simplest home remedies for Sinusitis.
• Prepare a garlic paste by crushing four or five cloves of garlic soaked in water. Inhaling this paste is a popular natural home remedy to reduce Sinusitis related nasal congestion.
• Add 2-3 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water and boil the mixture till the water reduces to half. Strain the mixture and consume it 2-3 times a day on a daily basis for the treatment of Sinusitis related Fever.
• Simply inhaling a perforated cloth with one teaspoon of black cumin seeds tied in it serves as one of the most valuable natural home remedies for Sinusitis treatment. A mixture of 100 grams of roasted and grounded cumin seeds and 200 grams of honey also serves as a good natural remedy.
• Drinking a mixture of vegetable juices like that of spinach and carrot (proportion of 2:3) is highly beneficial in the curing Sinusitis. Alternatively, a mixture of 100 ml cucumber juice, 100 ml beet juice and 300 ml carrot juice can also be taken for healing Sinusitis naturally.
• Applying a paste of 10-15 basil leaves, 1 teaspoon of dried ginger and 4 cloves on the forehead is the most trusted home remdy for Sinusitis related headaches. Cinnamon paste is also beneficial in this regard.
• Boil a teaspoon of mustard seeds in a glass of water and strain the mixture. When it cools, put three or four drops of this mixture in the nose with the help of a nose dropper. This serves as an excellent home remedy to reduce Sinus swelling and congestion.
• Eating mangoes is one of the most favorable natural home remedies for Sinusitis prevention as well as cure.
Diet for Sinusitis
Pungent foods like onion and garlic can be taken raw or added in meals to cure Sinusitis. Plus, fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C should be positively included in the diet to get rid of Sinus problems. Broccoli, cauliflower, orange, strawberry, pineapple and gooseberry are very useful in this regard. Freshly prepared fruit and vegetable juices are effective in relieving symptoms related to this disease and aid in faster recovery.
Lemonade or green tea flavored with lemon also helps in dealing with Sinus pain and infection. Vitamin A acts as a membrane conditioner that helps build healthy mucus membranes. Some important sources of vitamin A are milk, yogurt, carrot, pumpkin, papaya, tomato, mango and leafy vegetables. Regular consumption of these foods can prove beneficial in preventing Sinus related problems.
Besides, avoid taking any caffeine products like chocolates or coffee as they aggravate the symptoms. In addition, restrict the consumption of fried and oily foods.
david g says
you guys should hav videos showing how to use this stuff…….