What is Skin Disease?
As the name suggests, Skin Disease is a disease pertaining to the skin. Skin is one of the largest and complex organs of the body. It acts like a protective shell. Basically, it separates the internal organs of the body from the external world.
In medical terminology, it is also known as Dermatosis. Skin Disease is a collective term for thousands of major and minor skin related ailments. Such diseases of the skin are often identified in their initial stages because they can be visible on the surface of the skin.
Some commonly known Skin Diseases are Psoriasis, Sunburn, Ulcer, Leukoderma, Pruritis, Acne, Rashes, Wrinkes, Impetigo, Athletes Foot, Eczema, Corns, Cold Sores, Scabies, Chicken Pox and many more. Hormonal imbalances, infections, nutritional deficiencies and numerous other factors contribute in causing Skin Diseases. Skin Cancers like basal cell cancer, squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma are some very dangerous Skin Diseases.
As most of the skin problems are embarrassing to show and have a tendency to heal by themselves, most of the affected individuals prefer to deal with skin problems at home by the application of a variety of natural home remedies for Skin Diseases.
Causes of Skin Disease
Different types of Skin Diseases are caused by different causes. Certain Skin Diseases are caused by hereditary factors. They are Acne, Psoriasis, Eczema, Scleroderma, Harlequin Ichthyosis and other similar diseases. Bacterial, viral or fungal infections result in a number of Skin Diseases such as Boils, Warts, Measles, Dermatitis, Chicken Pox, Impetigo, Herpes, Scabies, and Athletes Foot etc. Strong emotions are often known to cause certain type of Skin Diseases.
Emotions also play an important role in causing or aggravating Skin Diseases. Other causes include allergies, excess sweating, climatic conditions, pollution, chemical irritants, skin texture, certain medicines, exposure to sunlight, degeneration due to age and a host of other factors.
Symptoms of Skin Disease
As the forms and causes of Skin Diseases differ, so do the symptoms. Most of the Skin Diseases are characterized by skin inflammations, reddening of the skin, itchiness, dryness, formation of blisters, peeling, pus formation, skin irritation, skin discoloration and numerous other symptoms depending on the type of Skin Problem. Some Skin Diseases also cause pain. At, times due to infections, the affected individual may also develop mild fever and chills.
Natural Home Remedies for Skin Disease
• Honey, olive oil, sandalwood and turmeric are some therapeutic natural home remedies for Skin Diseases, especially the ones with symptoms of skin peeling and irritation.
• Applying hot or cold compresses can relieve the symptoms of such diseases.
• Another treatment for Skin Diseases resulting from infections is to apply a mixture of warm coconut oil and lime juice on the affected area.
• Applying a mixture of aloe vera oil, wheat germ oil, cod liver oil and lime juice on the affected area is one of the most effective natural home remedies for Skin Diseases, especially the ones that cause itching.
• Prepare a paste by adding cinnamon powder and honey in equal proportions. Applying this paste on the affected area serves as one of the simplest natural home remedies for Skin Diseases treatment.
• Applying a mixture of honey and cooked oatmeal is a tried and tested home remedy to prevent and cure Skin Diseases caused by dry skin.
• Applying a nutmeg paste is a highly beneficial natural remedy for curing Skin Diseases, especially Eczema.
• Applying juice extracted from apricot leaves is a valuable natural home remedy used in the treatment of Skin Diseases (especially Scabies).
• Applying a mixture of lime juice and rose water is a common way to prevent Skin Diseases in general.
• Herbs like white oak bark, chamomile, mugwort, comfrey, dill and oregano are excellent home remedies for Skin Diseases that cause inflammations. An easy way to use these herbs is to drink herbal teas prepared from these herbs.
• Mashed papaya seeds can be applied on itchy skin to heal Skin Disorders causing itchiness.
• A paste prepared from neem leaves is considered a valuable natural home remdy to get rid of Skin Diseases like Boils. Similarly, a paste prepared from Henna leaves also helps in dealing with such problems.
• Applying juice extracted from marigold leaves is one of the most widely used Skin Disease treatments, especially for Warts.
• Mix a few drops of lemon juice and some milk with some dried onion seeds. Applying this mixture on the skin overnight and washing it off in the morning is a popular home remedy for Skin Diseases like Acne.
Minor Skin Problems: Certain minor skin problems like smelly feet, bug bites, infected piercings, corns, dry skin, and oily skin can also be treated at home.
Smelly Feet: Smelly feet will smell less by regularly applying a paste of mint leaves on the feet. Dusting the shoes with cornstarch also helps in dealing with this embarrassing problem.
Bug Bites: Washing the affected area with witch hazel provides relief from itchiness caused by bug bites. Lavender oil can also be applied to cure skin problems.
Infected Piercings: Applying warm salt water on the affected area is regarded as an effective natural cure to treat this ailment. Clarified butter mixed with some turmeric powder is also beneficial in this regard.
Corns: Applying juice extracted from green figs 3-4 times a day is useful natural remedy for curing Skin Diseases like Corns.
Dry Skin: Applying aloe vera gel is an effective home remedy to deal with this skin condition.
Oily Skin: Take one teaspoon of fuller’s earth, one teaspoon of tomato juice, one teaspoon of curd, one teaspoon of honey and some camphor. Mix these ingredients and apply on oily skin to cure it. Applying mashed strawberries is also beneficial.
Diet for Skin Disease
A balanced and healthy diet goes a long way in preventing Skin diseases. It also facilitates the healing process for faster recovery. Fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C are highly beneficial in this regard. For instance, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and citrus fruits like orange, pineapple, grapefruit etc should be made an integral part of the diet to cure Skin Diseases. Vitamin A, vitamin E, zinc, iron and protein should also constitute a healthy diet to avoid Skin Diseases.
Consumption of high fat foods, especially the ones high in saturated fats should be avoided as far as possible as they tend to aggravate the symptoms. It is often advised to restrict the consumption of tomatoes, nuts, berries and other similar foods in case of itchy skin as they have a tendency to worsen the itchiness. Similarly, the consumption of salty foods should also be reduced. Cigarette smoking and consumption of alcoholic beverages should be a big no-no.