What are Skin Tags?
Skin Tags are small and soft benign stalk-like structures or flaps of skin usually appearing on base of the neck, armpits, groins or other similar areas characterized by skin folds. This common skin problem is also known as Acrochordon, Cutaneous Papilloma, or Fibroepithelial Polyp in medical terminology.
Skin Tags are harmless but ugly to look at. These non cancerous small growths on skin are made up of loosely arranged collagen fibers and blood vessels.
More often than not, the cutaneous Skin Tags generally grow up to half inches in size. Skin Tags usually grow very slowly over a period of time and tend to stop growing after attaining a particular peak size.
Although this problem can be cured through conventional methods like cryotherapy, electrosurgery etc, still due to the increased awareness about natural treatments, individuals now first prefer to remove Skin Tags naturally with the help of several home remedies for Skin Tags removal.
However, Skin Tags resulting from specific diseases such as Acromegaly should preferably be treated by experts. Moreover, before beginning with any home treatment for Skin Tags, it is advised to first distinguish a common Skin Tag from any other cancerous growth. Hence, it is better to avoid Skin Tags removal treatment as long as the condition is not bothersome.
Causes of Skin Tags
Viral and bacterial skin infections like Chicken Pox, Shingles, Impetigo etc to worsen Skin Tags. This problem is more common in middle aged and overweight individuals. This common skin abnormality is not contagious in nature.
Symptoms of Skin Tags
Skin Tags are usually not accompanied by any serious symptoms. Dermatologists often consider these small Skin Tags as benign tumors. They can either be smooth or slightly wrinkled.
The most common areas susceptible to the formation of flesh or brown colored Skin Tags are the neck, eyelids, underarms, under breasts, groin areas and other similar areas bearing creases on the skin.
Like Moles, even Skin Tags do not cause any pain but can become irritated or infected when constantly rubbed against clothing or jewellery.
Natural Home Remedies for Skin Tags
• Tying a piece of thread or dental floss around the skin growth and allowing the tag to fall off due to lack of blood supply is one of the most popular natural home remedies for Skin Tags.
This natural remedy helps to remove Skin Tags in several days. For immediate relief, the tags can also be removed with a sharp but clean scissors or nail clippers after tightly tying the thread or dental floss. Finally, carefully clean the area with peroxide or any antibiotic ointment to avoid infection.
• Binding a fresh piece of potato on the affected area with a bandage is also useful in getting rid of this problem at home.
• Applying a mixture of castor oil and baking soda on the affected area is one of the best home remedies for Skin Tags natural cure. Regular application of this home remedy three times per day is useful in drying and finally healing Skin Tags within a couple of weeks.
• Soak the affected area in warm water for half an hour. Dry it and apply a cotton ball soaked in apple cider vinegar.
After 15 minutes, rinse the affected area and repeat the procedure again for a few more times to help remove and cure Skin Tags at home. As apple cider vinegar is quite strong, it can be used after diluting in water in case of sensitive skin.
• Tea tree oil is also beneficial in reducing Skin Tags naturally. For encouraging results, this therapeutic oil should be applied on the tags about four times in a day for several weeks. Juice of dandelion roots also serves as one of the most valuable Skin Tags herbal remedies.
• Coating the affected area with clear nail polish is one of the most effective home remedies for Skin Tags natural removal. Follow this therapy two times per day for about four to ten days reduce the tags because of oxygen deprivation.
Diet for Skin Tags
A healthy diet consisting of foods rich in vitamin A, vitamin E, zinc, potassium and other essential vitamins and minerals has been found to be valuable when dealing with Skin Tags.
In addition, avoidance of processed and fatty foods is also highly recommended. Needless to add, drink adequate amount of water at regular intervals to improve the condition of the skin.
Though the natural home remedies for Skin Tags are beneficial in getting rid of this skin problem to a great extent, it should be noted that Skin Tags can reappear (generally at a different location) even after effective treatment.