What is Spring Ailments?
Spring Ailments are usually seasonal allergies caused by the advent of spring season. These allergies and ailments are triggered by the presence of pollen in the air and the general change in weather. Hay Fever, Rosacea, Poison Ivy and Asthma are the most common Spring Ailments.
Hay Fever is also known as Rhinitis or Allergic Rhinitis. Allergic Rhinitis that persisting throughout the year is referred to as Perennial Rhinitis.
The treatment for these ailments, especially Hay Fever is aimed at reducing the symptoms first. A number of natural home remedies for Spring Ailments like taking green tea, peppermint tea and several herbs have been found useful in healing Spring Ailments since time immemorial.
In terms of Spring Ailments characterized by allergies, prevention is considered as the best cure. So, when the pollen count is high, an individual should cover up his/her nose and mouth while going out to avoid the inhalation of pollen present in the air. When staying indoors, it would be better to close the doors and windows.
Causes and Symptoms of Spring Ailments
Spring Ailments in the form of seasonal allergies are the result of a sensitive immune system. Spring season marks a new beginning. The typical spring winds carry pollens from one plant to another. Pollen is often not welcomed by the immune system of the body and when it does enter through the nose or mouth, the result is an allergic reaction.
Plus, due to the change in season, the body is also supposed to cope up with the change in weather. These factors lead to decline in the level of immunity. As a result, the body is attacked with Spring Illnesses or ailments.
Symptoms of Spring Ailments like Hay Fever are sneezing, nasal congestion, runny nose, red teary eyes, headaches etc. These flu-like symptoms may cause a great deal of discomfort and cause a general lethargic and fatigued feeling, sometimes accompanied by difficulty in breathing too.
This shortness of breath could also be caused by Asthma. Due to the general flora and fauna, the risk of exposure to Poison Ivy plant and insect bites also increases.
Poison ivy leads to an allergic reaction resulting in red and itchy rashes on the skin. On the other hand, Rosacea, an Acne-like condition, a red flushed appearance accompanied by red or pink patches on the face, especially the cheeks, chin, forehead, nose and the lower half of the nose. It may further cause inflammation and an enlarged nose. It may also cause eye problems in certain cases.
Natural Home Remedies for Spring Ailments
• Regular consumption of peppermint tea, green tea or chamomile tea is considered as one of the best natural home remedies for Spring Ailments, especially the ones causing respiratory problems.
• Boil a piece of ginger in some water for some time, until the water becomes somewhat yellow in color. Then, cool it a bit and add some lemon juice and honey in it. This ginger solution serves as a good solution for spring related ailments and illnesses leading to basal problems.
• Drinking a glass of water mixed with some lime juice is one of the most popular natural home remedies for Spring Ailments that helps in boosting the immunity.
• Consuming water obtained after cooking rice is a therapeutic home remedy for most of the ailments.
• Taking water mixed with one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a similar amount of honey is one of the most trusted home remedies for Spring Ailments.
• Take some cumin seeds and grind o make a powder. Now, take a glass of water and mix around half a teaspoon of this powder in it. Taking this mixture serves as an effective natural remedy for seasonal allergies.
• Throughout the day, consume some warm milk mixed with wheat germ at regular intervals to cure this disease.
• Therapeutic herbs like feverfew, turmeric, bayberry, nettle, eyebright etc are excellent natural home remedies for Spring Ailments. Moderate intake of herbal teas and infusions prepared from these herbs helps to get rid of these ailments. Feverfew decreases the inflammation of blood vessels in the head and provides relief from headaches. On the other had, eyebright can be used internally to treat congestions and externally (compresses) to treat eye problems.
• Cool compresses and cold water baths are highly beneficial in reduce and relieve skin irritations caused by seasonal allergies and insect bites.
• Take some minced grapefruit, honey and lemon juice. Boil all these ingredients in water and take this remdial mixture three times in a day as a natural cure for Spring Ailments like Hay Fever.
Diet for Spring Ailments
When dealing with Spring Ailments, it is necessary to adopt a balanced diet rich in healthy vitamins and minerals. The diet should specifically aim at adequate consumption of foods rich in vitamin B and vitamin C.
Vitamin B helps to maintain healthy skin and promotes cell growth thereby aiding in the process of curing skin inflammations and rashes caused by allergies. Vitamin C, on the other hand is particularly useful in building improved immunity.
Hot decoctions prepared from Bayberry help to tighten and dry mucous membranes and strengthen the body’s resistance to infections. Nettle extracts are beneficial against Hay Fever. Certain preventive measures like wearing proper clothing and footwear while going out on grassy areas and placing handkerchief on the mouth and nose in the presence of increased pollen in the air can help avoid Spring Ailments to a great extent.