What is Strep Throat?
Strep Throat is a common contagious condition caused by bacterial infection in the throat that affects the pharynx, larynx, and tonsils. Children aged 5 to 15 are more susceptible to this disease as compared to the adults.
Administering antibiotics is the most common conventional way of curing this problem. However, numerous simple yet effective home remedies for Strep Throat natural treatment have also been found to be extremely beneficial in healing Strep Throat naturally at home.
The difference between the conventional and natural cures lies in the fact that the body tends to get accustomed to over the counter medicines over a period of time because of which the effectiveness of such conventional medicines reduces whereas the natural treatments simply strengthen the immune system to fight bacteria and facilitate the process of natural healing.
Causes and Symptoms of Strep Throat
Bacterial infection in the throat due to group A Streptococcus bacteria is the most common reason that causes Strep Throat related throat inflammation. The risk of developing this infection increases during early spring, late fall and winter seasons.
This infectious disease is usually spread through close contact with an infected individual. It may also spread through the saliva or nasal discharge of an affected individual transmitted through coughing or sneezing.
Fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, headache, loss of appetite, muscle ache and a general feeling of discomfort are some common symptoms of Strep Throat.
The tongue tends to become bright red in color. In case of children, tiny red spots may also appear at the roof of the mouth.
The condition is often accompanied by pain. At times, allergic reaction to toxins made by strep bacteria may cause a scarlet fever-like rash. In severe cases, untreated Strep Throat can also cause Rheumatic Fever over a period of time.
Natural Home Remedies for Strep Throat
• Having a glass of water mixed with fresh lemon juice and honey is one the most popular natural home remedies for Strep Throat in children.
• Simply having pomegranate juice at regular intervals helps in healing Strep Throat infection effectively.
• Herbal teas serve as excellent Strep Throat home remedies because of the soothing affect. Ginger tea, chamomile tea and sage tea, in particular, are highly beneficial in the home treatment of Strep Throat.
Thyme, lavender, peppermint, rosemary, horseradish, echinacea etc also help in dealing with Strep Throat symptoms.
• Rubbing garlic oil, lemon oil, sage oil, thyme oil etc diluted in almond oil or olive oil is useful in reducing Strep Throat. Rub this mixture on the throat or inhale vapors of boiling water mixed a drop of this mixture.
• Gargling with fenugreek decoction is also considered as a successful natural remedy for Strep Throat. To prepare this therapeutic remdy, boil two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in one liter of water until the water reduces to half.
• Drinking basil decoction is a tried and tested Strep Throat home remedy. This decoction can also be used for gargling.
• Add one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a pinch of pepper in a glass of water and boil it. Next, add two teaspoons of honey in it. Finally, drink this decoction regularly for sometime to cure Strep Throat naturally.
• Gargling with warm salt water is one of the simplest natural home remedies for Strep Throat pain. Salt water can be prepared by adding a quarter teaspoon of salt in about eight ounces of water.
Diet for Strep Throat
Including garlic, onion, pepper, ginger, black pepper etc in the diet is highly recommended for reducing Strep Throat to a great extent. As Strep Throat causes problems in the throat, it causes difficulty in swallowing as well.
Hence, try to have more yogurt, soups, broths, mashed potatoes, cooked cereals and other such foods that are easy to swallow. In addition, drink plenty of fluids throughout the day at regular intervals and take adequate rest to facilitate the process of healing.
Needless to add, avoid having extremely spicy or acidic foods that tend to irritate the throat further. Stay away from strong and pungent odors, for instance cigarette smoke to avoid Strep Throat related further inflammation.
Gargle hydrogen pxrieode. It works really well. ReallyI also use it for sore throats and being sick.Just don’t swallow it (theres a whole health practice aroundt that, but if you want to do it, you have to buy 35% food grade hydrogen pxrieode, and then dillute it to less than 1%).I’m not sure if this counts as a natural remedy , but the naturopaths basically endorse alternative health/non conventional medicine, and the oxygen therapies fall under that bubble.Techincally pxrieode is basically natural since your body produces it to kill bacteria anyhow.Hopefully your strep throat is light enough that gargling H2O2 will kill it, but otherwise you might need to use more drastic methods (like swallowing it, or seeing a doctor).