What are Stretch Marks?
Stretch Marks are scars or lesions on the upper layer of the skin (epidermis) that tend to diminish partially over a period of time and can be treated to a great extent with the help of several natural home remedies for Stretch Marks removal. In medical terms, Stretch Marks are referred to as Striae.
They are caused by a variety of reasons ranging from puberty to obesity and muscle building that cause rapid pulling or stretching of the skin thereby overcoming the natural elasticity of the dermis and disrupting collagen connective tissue formation. Puberty induced Stretch Marks are more common in girls as compared to boys.
Apart from surgeries, most Stretch Marks treatments, whether conventional or natural can not remove Stretch Marks completely. As conventional methods are costlier and riskier, it is preferable to opt for Stretch Marks home remedies that are inexpensive and much safer. Stretch Marks are usually not considered serious medically.
Causes and Symptoms of Stretch Marks
Rapid stretching of the skin due to pregnancy, obesity, rapid weight loss, muscle building, sudden changes in the physical or environmental conditions and other related factors contribute in the development of Stretch Marks.
Moreover, adolescents tend to develop such marks during puberty because of rapid growth. Besides, certain hormonal disorders, use of steroids or certain other medicines may also trigger this condition. A genetic predisposition to develop Stretch Marks may also cause the same.
Stretch Marks begin appearing on the skin as pink, reddish brown or dark brown colored marks or thin lines and gradually turn off-color in shade. Stretch Marks generally appear on the thighs, calves, hips, breasts and abdomen.
Natural Home Remedies for Stretch Marks
• Lavender oil and chamomile oil work as excellent natural home remedies for Stretch Marks. To prepare this natural remedy, mix seven drops of lavender oil, five drops of chamomile and an ounce of jojoba oil, sweet almond oil or any other carrier oil.
Finally, gently massage the affected area with this mixture to reduce Stretch Marks naturally. Simply applying lavender oil thrice a day on a regular basis also serves as a good Stretch Marks home remedy.
• Applying cocoa butter or natural shea butter on the affected area two times per day is another popular natural cure for Stretch Marks. Follow this remdy on a regular basis to get rid of Stretch Marks during pregnancy.
Cocoa butter can also be used with one teaspoon each of vitamin E oil, apricot kernel oil, wheat germ oil and two teaspoons of grated beeswax.
Heat these ingredients along with half a cup of cocoa butter until beeswax melts and store the mixture in the refrigerator. Apply this mixture regularly on Stretch Marks to eliminate them at home.
• Regularly applying aloe vera gel on Stretch Marks is one of the simplest home remedies to get rid of Stretch Marks. Follow this natural treatment until the Stretch Marks fade away.
• Blend a mixture of quarter cup aloe vera gel, half cup virgin olive oil, liquid of four vitamin A capsules and six vitamin E capsules. Apply this mixture regularly to reduce Stretch Marks naturally at home. Store this mixture in refrigerator for future use.
• Application of aroma oils is another therapeutic Stretch Marks natural remedy. However, be careful to choose appropriate oils during pregnancy.
• Regularly rubbing apricot scrub on the affected area is one of the best natural home remedies for Stretch Marks after pregnancy.
• Cod liver oil and flaxseed oil are also beneficial in the natural treatment of Stretch Marks. A combination of one tablespoon each of wheat germ oil and calendula oil can also be used for Stretch Marks home treatment.
Diet for Stretch Marks
Diet, age and skin tone play an important role in facilitating the process of healing Stretch Marks. In this regard, a well balanced nutritious diet with special emphasis on vitamin E and vitamin K is highly beneficial.
Therefore, include judicious amounts of dairy products, soybeans, asparagus, carrots, tomatoes and fresh green vegetables in the diet to help cure Stretch Marks naturally. Plus, regularly consume seeds and nuts containing zinc to help tone the skin and avoid Stretch Marks as far as possible.
In addition, adequate amount of water at regular intervals throughout the day to keep the body hydrated and keep the skin healthy. Moreover, exercise regularly to keep the muscles well toned. Yoga is highly beneficial in making the muscles elastic and toning the skin.