What is an Upset Stomach?
Upset Stomach is a common but non specific stomach ailment that is mostly caused due to irregular or wrong eating habits. In addition, food allergies tend to give rise to constant or chronic Upset Stomach.
The condition could be accompanied by diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, a sense of fullness in the stomach etc. More often than not, Upset Stomach is considered as a minor stomach problem that can be cured with the help of a numerous over the counter medicines as well as various safe and inexpensive natural home remedies for Upset Stomach relief.
The natural treatment consisting of effective Upset Stomach home remedies also emphasizes on the inclusion of specific foods in the diet that are easy to digest and do cause any further troubles.
Plus, successful home treatment of Upset Stomach essentially depends on the underlying cause and the types of symptoms being experienced by the affected individual.
Causes and Symptoms of Upset Stomach
Upset Stomach is commonly the result of overeating or eating too quickly. Thus, having fried and spicy foods too often increases the risk of developing this troublesome problem. Factors like Anxiety and Stress may also increase the chances of developing symptoms of Upset Stomach.
Besides, certain other causes leading to this stomach ailment are food allergies, food poisoning, side effects of certain medications, motion sickness and digestive diseases such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Indigestion, Gastro Intestinal Reflux Disease, Pancreatitis, Stomach Ulcer, Gastritis, Appendicitis, Crohn’s Disease etc. Upset Stomach is one of the most common symptoms of functional Dyspepsia.
Common Symptoms of Upset Stomach are stomach ache, nausea, vomiting, bloating, heartburn, chest pain, flatulence, gassiness, diarrhea, lethargy and a general feeling of abdominal discomfort. Severe cases may be characterized by black or bloody stools and intense stomach pain.
Natural Home Remedies for Upset Stomach
• Having ginger tea is one of the most popular natural home remedies for Upset Stomach in children as well as adults. It also helps to relieve stomach pain.
However, ginger should not be consumed in excess in case of heartburn or gallstones. Other herbal teas like that of peppermint, cinnamon, chamomile etc are also beneficial in healing this problem naturally at home.
• Consuming a mixture of lemon juice and honey in water is the simplest home remedy for Stomach Upset related symptoms of nausea and acidity.
• Simply having a glass of water mixed with one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar is useful in healing Upset Stomach caused by Indigestion.
• Take a dried blackberry twig with about four to five leaves on it and boil it in a cup of water for five minutes on a low heat. Finally, cool and strain the mixture and drink it. This is one of the best natural home remedies for Upset Stomach and Vomiting.
• Prepare a mixture by boiling some minced cinnamon in a glass of water and consume it one hour before having meals in order to prevent Upset Stomach related issues.
• Swallowing about five black pepper peas followed by a glass of water works as an effective natural cure for Upset Stomach.
• Having a combination of half teaspoon each of cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds in four teaspoons of yogurt is one of the most therapeutic home remedies for Upset Stomach and Diarrhea. For best results, take this remdy about four times in a day.
• Massaging the abdominal area with some warm garlic oil helps to ease Upset Stomach and abdominal pain.
• Taking a combination of half a teaspoon of baking soda in about half a cup of water is a tried and tested Upset Stomach natural remedy.
Diet for Upset Stomach
Diet for dealing with Upset Stomach should positively include banana, rice, oatmeal, coconut water, vegetable soups, yogurt, buttermilk and other similar easily digestible foods. Besides, adding cumin or asafetida in the food while cooking aids in proper digestion and hence helps avoid Upset Stomach to a great extent.
Moreover, eat the food slowly and chew it properly to facilitate the normal process of digestion and hence avoid Stomach Upset and other common digestive disorders. Avoid having dairy products, nuts, and spicy and sour foods as far as possible until the condition is relieved.
Needless to add, reduce the consumption of heavy and fatty foods, especially flesh foods, at least until the Stomach Upset is cured. Also, stay away from baked beans, onions, cauliflowers, tomatoes and other similar foods.
Having coffee, chocolate, alcohol, citrus fruits and fatty food items tends to worsen the heartburn related symptoms of Upset Stomach. Therefore, these items should also be avoided as far as possible.
In addition, try to have a few smaller meals instead of going for one or two larger meals. Last but not the least, make it a habit to exercise regularly in order to maintain a healthy body weight and reduce the chances of having Indigestion, Stomach Upset and several other digestion related ailments.