What is Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)?
The urinary tract consists of organs like kidneys, urinary bladder, urethra, ureters and prostate (in men). These organs work collectively to collect, store and remove urine from the body. Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) is generally caused by bacterial infections. The disease can cause serious problems in kidneys if not treated in time.
This common disease is generally caused by bacteria called Escherichia coli. Basically, these bacteria are present in the colon. When the bacteria travel through the digestive tract and reach the opening of the urethra, they start multiplying. And, the infection spreads henceforth.
The infection may affect the urethra, urinary bladder or even kidneys. Such infections are called Urethritis, Cystitis and Pyelonephriis respectively. Urinary Tract Infection usually causes infection in the lower urinary tract, that is, the urethra and the bladder.
Women are usually more susceptible to this disease as compared to men. Though, it tends to be more serious in nature when it occurs in men. The conventional treatment conventionally involves the use of antibiotics. Natural treatment with the help of home remedies for Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) is also beneficial in curing the disease. In fact, the home remedy treatment works with a more holistic approach and hence takes more time in eliminating the disease completely.
Causes and Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
Mostly, an obstruction in the flow of urine from the bladder paves the way for Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). Actually, when the urine flows out of the bladder, it flushes out bacteria along with it. Enlarged prostate glands, the presence of kidney stones and other similar problems lead to such obstructions thereby resulting in this disease. In addition, infants with structural abnormalities are also prone to such infections.
Besides, immunity also plays a significant role in restricting unwanted bacterial growths. Thus, immune suppressing diseases, especially Diabetes increase the risk of developing Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). Use of catheters or catheter tubes may also cause infection. Sexual intercourse may also result in the same, especially in case of women. Using diaphragm for birth control is also not favorable.
The symptoms of Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) are pressure in the lower abdomen, frequent urge to pass urine, a painful and burning sensation while passing urine and a general feeling of chills and lethargy. In spite of strong and frequent urge to urinate, a very little amount of urine is passed.
The urine appears cloudy, milky, reddish or in color and bears an unpleasant odor. If the symptoms further go on up to fever, then it indicates that the infection might have spread up to the kidneys. It may also be accompanied by nausea, vomiting and back pain (in the upper back and side)
Natural Home Remedies for Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
• Regular consumption of diluted and unsweetened cranberry juice is one of the most popular and equally effective natural home remedies for Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). It prevents the bacteria from sticking to the cells lining the urinary tract. This natural remedy should be discontinued if it causes bladder irritation.
• Apple cider vinegar serves as a natural antibiotic and hence helps acts as a natural cure for urinary tract infections.
• Having a mixture of half a teaspoon of baking soda in water is a widely used UTI home remedy.
• Take some coiled parsley and boil it in water for about 20 minutes. Then, drink two cups of this decoction on a regular basis to ease the pain related to this infection. In the same way, a decoction prepared from corns can be taken three times in a day to relieve the pain and get rid of UTI as naturally as possible.
• Taking Echinacea tea or Echinacea tablets is highly beneficial in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection or UTI.
• Drinking a decoction prepared from coriander seeds boiled in water reduces UTI and ultimately eliminates it by increasing urination and flushing out the infection causing bacteria. Follow this natural remedy two times in a day. Seeds of carrot can also be used in the same way.
• Therapeutic herbs like Uva ursi, Horsetail, Marshmallow root, Goldenseal etc are excellent natural home remedies for Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). Although, pregnant women and individuals with kidney disease or liver disease are not advised to take up this remdy.
• Take some petals of lotus and pink rose. Boil them in water. Next, cool the mixture and strain it. Consuming this mixture three times per day is one of the most efficient home remedies for Urinary Tract Infection.
• Place a heating pad on the lower abdomen to reduce Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) related pain and discomfort.
• Aromatherapy with essential oils of juniper, sandalwood, bergamot and frankincense is considered as one of the most trusted natural home remedies for Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). Rub the combination of these oils on the lower abdomen once in a day for 3-4 days to relieve the pain and pressure.
Diet for Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
A balanced and healthy diet with special emphasis on vitamin C is useful in dealing with Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). Vitamin C not only helps in healing this infection but also prevents its recurrence in the future by building immunity against the disease. Drink plenty of water at regular intervals, preferably every hour throughout the day to wash out bacteria from the body.
In fact, drinking warm water mixed with some apple juice on an empty stomach in the morning serves as a valuable home remedy for Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). Plus, include berry juices and fermented milk products in the diet for faster recovery.
Consumption of alcoholic and caffeinated beverages tends to irritate the bladder thereby aggravating the disease. Hence, they should be eliminated from the diet as far as possible to avoid further inconvenience. Similarly, avoid taking artificial sweeteners. Citrus juices, spicy food, and foods like tomatoes, pineapples, chocolates, aged cheese etc with high acid content have the same effect of bladder irritation.
very much helpful!