What are Varicose Veins?
Basically, veins are blood vessels that return blood to the heart in the process of blood circulation. Veins use a system of valves to keep the blood flowing in the right direction and avoid backflows. In the absence of proper functioning of valves, the veins tend to swell up due to accumulation of blood. This condition is known as Varicose Veins. Due to lack of movement of blood, the enlarged veins become also become twisted and turned.
The enlarged and twisted parts of the veins are referred to as varicosities. Varicose Veins may appear anywhere in the body but they are more likely to appear in parts that are farthest from the heart, like legs, feet and ankles. Spider Veins are similar to Varicose Veins but the difference lying in the fact that they are smaller than Varicose Veins. The risk of developing this disease increases with age. Plus, women have been found to be more susceptible to this ailment.
Sclerotherapy is the most common conventional method of treatment for Varicose Veins which may have some temporary side effects. Individuals scared of injections might find this treatment scarier. Apart from this, the natural home remedies for Varicose Veins serve as an easy and effective way of curing this disease. Due to the general risks associated with surgeries, surgical procedures are generally avoided unless the disease becomes more severe.
Causes and Symptoms of Varicose Veins
As already mentioned, Varicose Veins are caused by malfunctioning of valves. This malfunctioning could either be caused by genetic reasons or due to damage to the valves. Being overweight or standing or sitting continuously for long periods of time increases pressure on the legs or feet thereby increasing the risk of developing Varicose Veins. Pregnant women are also at an increased risk due to this reason.
Straining due to chronic constipation, chronic coughing or enlarged prostate may aggravate the problem. Irregular menstruation, menopause and miscarriages may also lead to this aliment. The normal functioning of valves may also be decreased and weakened because of old age. Phlebitis, congenital abnormalities of veins and blood clots are some less common causes of Varicose Veins.
Varicose Veins are usually dark purple or blue in color. Prolonged sitting or standing tends to make them more tender and painful. Varicose Veins are usually harmless but they may become a source of discomfort if accompanied by pain. Other related symptoms are itching, cramping, fatigue and ulceration. In severe cases, the collection of blood at one spot may result in a blood clot. Restless Leg Syndrome is a common overlapping syndrome associated with Varicose Veins and other chronic vein problems.
Natural Home Remedies for Varicose Veins
• Regularly applying some apple cider vinegar on the affected area twice per day is useful in making the veins shrink back and retain their normal size.
• Mix some water in fuller’s earth powder to make a fine paste. Apply this paste on the enlarged veins over night and wash it off in the morning. This is regarded as one of the most effective natural home remedies for Varicose Veins.
• Therapeutic herbs like Witch Hazel, Comfrey, White Oak Bark, Chamomile and Oatstraw serve as valuable natural home remedies for Varicose Veins when applied externally on the affected area.
• Herbal teas are also beneficial in dealing with this disease. To prepare herbal tea, take two parts of yarrow, three parts of Hawthorn berries, three parts of horse chestnuts, two parts of prickly ash bark and one part of ginger. Mix these ingredients and take two teaspoons of this mixture to prepare a therapeutic infusion and take this infusion about three times a day as an effective Varicose Vein home treatment.
• Drinking a cup of warm water mixed with one teaspoon of cayenne pepper three times a day is a tried and tested home remdy for this ailment. It also helps in relieving the pain associated with this disease.
• Applying marigold on the affected area serves as one of the most highly beneficial natural home remedies for Varicose Veins with ulcers. Fresh marigold petals can also be consumed internally. This home remedy helps a great deal in getting rid of Varicose Veins naturally.
• Take two cups of melted lard and about the same amount of finely chopped calendula flowers, leaves and stems. Mix them and keep aside for a day. Heat and strain the mixture on the next day. External application of this mixture is believed to be a good natural cure for this disease.
• Regularly drinking 300 ml of carrot juice mixed with about 200 ml of spinach juice is one of the simplest home remedies for Varicose Veins.
• Cold water and cold packs help in soothing and reducing Varicose Veins. Similarly, hot Epsom salt baths can also provide relief from the problem of thick and twisted veins. Taking alternate hot and cold hip baths is also considered beneficial in the overall treatment.
• Simply massaging the affected area with rosemary oil is yet another easy natural remedy used to heal this ailment.
• Yoga, acupressure and acupuncture therapies are useful in preventing Varicose Veins from becoming worse.
Diet for Varicose Veins
A diet consisting of whole foods with special emphasis on fresh fruits, especially citrus fruits is highly recommended for individual with Varicose Veins. In fact, it would be a good idea to stay on fresh fruits only for a couple of days.
Fruits like cherries, apples, pineapples, black berries, blueberries etc are beneficial in this regard. Juice extracted from apple, parsley, beet, carrot and citrus fruits can be consumed individually or in combination. Drinking a cup of pineapple juice two times per day is a successful home remedy for Varicose Veins.
Consumption of strong condiments, animal proteins, fried foods, processed foods, cheese, sugary and salty products should be minimized to avoid further complications. Red meat should be excluded from the diet till the disease cures completely. Plus, stay away from tea, coffee and alcoholic beverages.
Potatoes, products prepared from white flour and other starchy foods should also be avoided for the time being. Besides, individuals should avoid wearing tightly fitted clothes to avoid Varicose Veins as tight clothes tend to restrict the normal flow of blood.