What is Vitiligo?
Vitiligo is a condition characterized by the presence of irregular white patches on the skin. These white patches appear due to loss of pigmentation. Hands, wrists, back, neck and face are the most common areas affected by this disease.
Socially, these white patches caused by the destruction of melanocytes or pigment cells are considered ugly. Melanocytes produce melanin that is responsible for giving the natural color to the skin.
As a result of the destruction of these pigment cells, the skin tends to become pale and white. This chronic pigmentation disorder is also known as Leucoderma. It is not an infectious disease.
Vitiligo is more commonly found in individuals with darker skins. It has been observed that most of the individuals, who do develop this condition, develop it before twenty or at least forty years of age. It is rare in infancy as well as old age.
Treatment of Vitiligo is often considered difficult as it requires repigmenting agents, light therapy or skin grafting. Consequently, the holistic natural home remedies for Vitiligo are usually preferred over the complex conventional treatments.
Causes and Symptoms of Vitiligo
The exact cause of developing Vitiligo is still not known. Though, it has been observed that individuals with autoimmune diseases, particularly thyroid disorders are at an increased risk of developing Vitiligo.
Moreover, chronic diseases like Addison’s disease, Pernicious Anaemia, Diabetes Mellitus and other such diseases also increase the chances of developing this frustrating pigmentation disorder. Sun exposed areas are more likely to develop these white patches. Vitiligo tends to run in families.
On the basis of the intensity and location of the white patches, Vitiligo has been classified into three types: Focal, Generalized and Segmental. Focal Vitiligo is characterized by a single area bearing few white spots. Generalized Vitiligo tends to be more symmetrical with the presence of white spots all over the body.
Segmental Vitiligo is a comparatively uncommon condition in which the typical white spots are present only on one side of the body.
Vitiligo is a progressive skin disorder the initial white spots progressively grow to become white patches. The condition is more likely to occur on areas characterized by skin folds and openings.
Vitiligo may also be accompanied by de-pigmentation on the lips and premature graying of hair. Plus, the affected areas become more susceptible to sunburn due to the lack of melanin.
Natural Home Remedies for Vitiligo
• Soak the seeds of Psoralea Corylifolia in ginger juice for about three days. Next, dry the seeds in shade and grind to form a powder. Finally, regularly drink a cup of milk with about one gram of this therapeutic powder mixed in it. Continue this home treatment for at least two months in order to cure Vitiligo naturally.
• Applying a paste prepared form psoralea, black cumin, barberry roots and coconut oil is also one of the most popular home remedies for Vitiligo. For best results follow this natural remedy for at least six months.
• A combination of one part of grinded duckweed and one part of honey is considered as one of the most successful Vitiligo home remedies. Regularly take one teaspoon of this combination two times per day to reduce the white patches.
Another useful home remdy with wild duckweed is to rub it on the affected area. This natural treatment works best when followed at least five times a day.
• Wild duckweed can also be used in the form of a tincture as a natural treatment for Vitiligo. To prepare this tincture, first soak four tablespoons of duckweed in approximately half a liter of vodka. Keep this mixture aside for about one week.
Finally, filter the mixture and mix two tablespoons of water in about 30 drops of this liquid. Consume the resultant solution two times in a day before having meals.
• A decoction prepared from equal amount of Indian Gooseberry and Catechu or Black Cutch also serves as one of the most effective natural Vitiligo home remedies. Take about 50 ml of this decoction along with some honey two times per day on a regular basis.
• Ginger juice can be used either separately or in combination with red clay to help heal Vitiligo white spots in a natural way. The juice should be consumed twice daily.
In case of red clay, prepare a paste like mixture by adding ginger juice and red clay and finally apply this mixture on the affected areas to get rid of the embarrassing red patches.
• Sesame seeds and turmeric make for excellent home remedies for Vitiligo. Prepare a paste by adding some water in the grinded mixture of turmeric and sesame seeds.
Apply this paste on the discolored patches on a regular basis to get rid of this problem. A mixture of lemon juice, almonds and cream are also beneficial in this regard.
• Mashed papaya or juice extracted from papaya fruit are the simplest Vitiligo natural remedies. Regularly apply papaya (either mashed or in the form of juice) on the white spots as an effective natural cure for this disorder.
• A combination of calendula flowers, chamomile flowers, St John’s wort and oregano is another highly beneficial home remedy for Vitiligo. Boil this mixture in a cup of water for about 15 minutes and take half a cup of this mixture twice a day for about month to prevent the further growth of this disease.
Diet for Vitiligo
Folic acid present in vitamin B12 and vitamin C is highly beneficial in dealing with Vitiligo white spots. Therefore, a diet consisting of fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains containing these vitamins is highly recommended for curing Vitiligo.
Include healthy foods like bitter gourd, spinach, chickpeas, cabbage, broccoli, cucumber, carrots and other such foods in the diet. Plus, try to reduce the consumption of meaty products, especially red meat.