What is Voice Loss?
Temporary Voice Loss or hoarseness in voice is mostly caused by inflammation of the larynx, that is, Laryngitis. Loss of voice can be short term or long term depending on the exact reason. There are several conventional and natural home remedies for Voice Loss but the best course of treatment involving giving adequate rest your voice.
The condition is known as Dysphonia in medical terms. Although Voice Loss can be caused by minor as well as serious problems, more often not, it is caused by upper respiratory infection or common cold. Emotional stress, voice overuse and various other factors may make the voice rough, breathy or croaky.
When dealing with Voice Loss and hoarseness, it is often advised to gargle with mouthwash but experts do not agree with this suggestion. Instead, they believe that it can make the condition even worse because alcohol present in mouthwashes tends to irritate mucous membranes. In addition it dehydrates the vocal cords.
Causes and Symptoms of Voice Loss
The most common cause of Voice Loss is voice strain resulting from excessive talking, shouting, singing and other such activities involving voice overuse.
Moreover, recurring forceful coughing, postnasal drip, acid reflux, mouth breathing, repeated throat clearing, stress, swallowing caustic liquid, chronic asthma, allergies, tonsilitis and dryness in throat due to intake of certain medications such as antihistamines, thyroid medications etc also contribute in causing the same.
Smoking and alcoholism tend to aggravate the problem. Loss of voice is also a symptom of Laryngitis caused by bronchitis, sinusitis, cold or other viral infections leading to inflammation of the voice box. Besides, other serious causes of Voice Loss include issues like laryngeal cancer, vocal cord polyps, voice cord paralysis, lung cancer etc.
Symptoms of Voice Loss are weak, scratchy, hoarse or lost voice. The condition may be accompanied by sore throat, difficulty swallowing, feeling of fullness in throat or neck, swollen lymph nodes etc. In case there is persistent Voice Loss for more than two weeks, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
Natural Home Remedies for Voice Loss
• Having tea mixed with lemon juice and honey is one of the easiest possible natural home remedies for Voice Loss natural treatment. Cinnamon and cardamom can also be added.
• Drinking ginger tea and lemon is another highly recommended natural remedy for Voice Loss. Simply chewing a piece of peeled ginger is also useful in healing the ailment.
• Taking a mixture of warm milk mixed with a teaspoon of turmeric powder is useful in reducing sore throat associated with loss of voice. You can also add some sugar to improve the taste.
• Inhaling steam for about five minutes two times in a day is a simple but effective natural cure for Voice Loss, especially when caused by cold. Gargling with lukewarm saline water 4-5 times in a day is also beneficial in reducing soreness in the throat.
• Consuming a glass of water mixed with one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar is a popular home remedy that is highly beneficial in getting rid of this problem. Follow the therapy several times in a day. A combination of apple cider vinegar, honey and cinnamon is also helpful in relieving sore throat and loss of voice.
• Taking a mixture of juice extracted from basil leaves and a teaspoon of honey is valuable in reducing hoarseness in voice.
• Prepare a concoction by boiling some eucalyptus leaves and fenugreek seeds in water. Gargle with this solution at least three times in a day to soothe the throat and heal the condition. Gargling with juice of wheat grass is useful in reducing inflammation and irritation in throat.
• Echinacea, Ginseng, Slippery Elm bark, Licorice root etc are excellent Voice Loss home remedies.
• Localized massage can also prove helpful in reducing this problem. Aromatherapy using essential oils of Myrrh, Lavender, Thyme, Clove etc is also beneficial.
• Do not talk during Voice Loss home treatment. Instead, give rest to the strained vocal cords. This is perhaps one of the best natural home remedies for Voice Loss. Avoid whispering as well because it tends to strain the vocal cords further. Moreover, remember that crying, singing etc can also worsen the condition.
Apart from this, run a humidifier to avoid dry air as it tends to irritate the throat. Avoid clearing the throat repeatedly to avoid further irritation. Nonetheless, sucking herbal lozenges or chewing gums can also help keep the throat moisturized and hence relieve the problem.
Diet for Voice Loss
When dealing with Voice Loss or Voice Strain, it is recommended to stay way from carbonated, caffeinated and alcoholic beverages as they tend to irritate vocal cords further by dehydrating them.
Instead, drink about 8-10 glasses of water (neither too hot nor too cold) throughout the day at regular intervals. You can also have juices mixed with honey. Avoid smoking, even passive smoking.
Plus, include nutritious fruits and vegetables in the diet. Items like ginger, garlic, dry grapes, black pepper etc are considered beneficial in curing the problem as they have anti inflammatory properties. In fact, taking a cup of milk mixed with some black pepper powder serves as one of the most therapeutic natural home remedies for Voice Loss.
wow? you sound so dumb. why would you say something is a fact when so many curly hieard gurus say the same thing and they all have gorgeous hair??go learn something before trying to teach others what is right and wrong. do you even have curly hair? i love it when stupid people comment on videos, it makes my day