What is Water Retention?
Water Retention, as the name itself indicates is a condition in which the body tends to retain excess water in the tissues due to a variety of reasons. This abnormal water or fluid accumulation in the body results in swelling. The feet, legs, hands and abdominal area are the most common areas affected by this condition.
In mild cases, Water Retention usually clears up on its own within a few days. However, in case the condition persists for more than a week then it should not be ignored.
It can be cured with the help of conventional methods like use of diuretics as well as home treatments consisting of several natural home remedies for Water Retention. In this regard, the simplest and most important Water Retention home remedy is to drink adequate amount of water.
Causes and Symptoms of Water Retention
Kidney and heart related problems are the most common causes of Water Retention. At times, conditions like malignant lymphoedema, varicose veins etc cause a general weakness in the circulatory system thereby giving rise to abnormal fluid or water retention.
Arthritis, certain liver diseases and thyroid disorders like Gout can also lead to this problem. Excess salt in the diet, physical inactivity, hot weather, pregnancy, nutritional deficiencies resulting in anemia or low levels of proteins, dehydration, and certain hormonal changes may also cause the same.
In fact, Water Retention is one of the most common symptoms of Premenstrual Syndrome and Menopause. Moreover, intake of certain drugs such as steroids, non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, hormone replacement medicines and other similar medicines also contribute in causing Water retention.
Water Retention is usually characterized by swelling, puffiness and tenderness in the affected area. The skin appears shiny and tight. Pressing the affected area with a finger for about ten seconds leaves a hole or dimple for some time.
Natural Home Remedies for Water Retention
• Herbal teas are regarded as excellent natural home remedies for Water Retention. Parsley tea prepared by steeping two teaspoons of dried parsley leaves in a cup of boiling water for ten minutes is highly beneficial in the natural treatment of Water Retention.
• Eating bananas, raisins, asparagus, cabbage and other potassium rich foods is a simple natural remedy to cure Water Retention at home.
• Massaging the affected area with essential oils like that of rosemary, lavender, grapefruit, lemon, juniper etc is one of the most highly recommended natural home remedies for Water Retention in legs. Aromatherapy with essential oils also works as a good way of healing this problem.
• Applying ice packs on the affected area serves as an efficient home remdy to reduce Water Retention by improving circulation.
• Having cranberry juice is considered as one of the best Water Retention home remedies as it helps to works as an effective natural diuretic and helps cure kidney problems leading to excess fluid accumulation.
• Dandelion, fennel, yarrow, chamomile, burdock and other such herbs with diuretic properties also serve as successful natural cures for Water Retention. These diuretic however do not give favorable results in case of Water Retention resulting from leaky blood vessels.
• Exercising regularly helps to eliminate Water Retention by strengthening the circulatory system.
Diet for Water Retention
When dealing with Water Retention, try to adopt a diet rich in natural diuretic foods and foods rich in vitamin A and vitamin C. Parsley, corn, spinach, Brussels sprouts, cucumber, banana, celery, fig, apricot, alfalfa, tomato, melon, prune and other such potassium rich foods should be positively included in the diet.
In addition, restrict the consumption of salt in the diet. Taking a well balanced and healthy diet consisting of judicious amounts of essential vitamins and minerals is useful in preventing Water Retention caused by various nutritional deficiencies.
Stay away from pickles, ketchups and other processed and packaged foods containing excess salt. Moreover, have plenty of water at regular intervals throughout the day to avoid Water Retention due to dehydration.
Waterfall diet aimed at reducing Water Retention through urination is one of the most highly recommended Water Retention home remedies.
Apart from these dietary measures, another important step in getting rid of Water Retention in legs and ankles is elevating the feet while sitting or lying to reduce the swelling and make it easy for the excess water to drain out and return to the normal circulatory system. Besides, do not wear extremely tight clothes that tend to cause obstruction in the normal circulatory system.