What are Wrinkles?
With regard to wrinkles, there is a saying, “Wrinkles are a roadmap of your life”. Old age naturally paves way for wrinkles. The aging skin wilts and develops wrinkles, lines and furrows. A wrinkle is a crease or a fold in the skin. As the age increases, the process of division of skin cells gradually slows down resulting in the thinning of the dermis (the inner layer of the skin). As a result, the network of Elastin (the protein which helps the skin to stretch) and collagen fibers (major structural proteins in the skin) which support the outer layer of the skin loosen and unravel, causing depressions on the surface of the skin and limiting the elasticity feature of the skin. Moreover, the efficiency of oil secreting glands goes down and the skin’s ability to retain moisture also decreases. All theses factor facilitate the development of wrinkles on the skin. Nowadays, many treatments and expensive surgeries have been devisde to deal with this problem but none can beat the simplicity and risk-free nature of the natural home remedies for wrinkles.
Causes and Symptoms of Wrinkles
Although age plays a vital role in the development of wrinkles, still there are other factors which encourage premature wrinkling of the skin. Exposure to the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun is another important cause. Those parts of the body which have more exposure of sunlight develop more wrinkles. They include the face, the backs of the hands, the neck, and the tops of the forearms. Wrinkled skin due to excess sun exposure may have a tough or leathery appearance. Environmental factors like exposure to dust, chemicals, and air pollutants promote premature wrinkling.
Smoking is another culprit. Cigarette smoking releases an enzyme that breaks down collagen and Elastin thereby aiding in the formation of wrinkles. Skin changes due to hormonal effects also encourage wrinkles. Habitual facial expressions like frowning, squinting and even smiling adversely affect the elasticity of the skin making it more prone to wrinkles. Besides these, genetic or hereditary causes also be held responsible for this problem. Surgery, injury, acne and even gravity help in developing the premature wrinkles on the skin.
Natural Home Remedies for Wrinkles
• Gently massaging the area prone to wrinkles with coconut oil is one of the simplest and safest natural home remedies for wrinkles. Almond oil and olive oil are also equally effective.
• Regularly applying the juice of apples and pineapples on the face removes wrinkles.
• Wrinkles under eyes and on the throat can be treated with castor oil.
• Applying a paste of turmeric powder and sugarcane proves beneficial in curing wrinkles.
• Green Thompson seedless grape is known to possess anti wrinkle properties. Cut the fruit and crush the pulp gently over the wrinkled area. Wash it off after twenty minutes and let it dry in natural air.
• Applying beaten egg white on the wrinkled area of the skin prevents the development of wrinkles.
• Simmer a mixture of half a cup of rosemary and 2 cups of water for about half an hour. Next, add half cup of brandy and leave the mixture on the flame for 10-15 minutes. When mixture cools down, strain it and store it in a bottle for regular use. Wipe the face with this mixture two times in a day. Though a bit difficult, this is one of the most effective natural home remedies for wrinkles.
• Take one fourth cup of comfrey infusion, one fourth cup of witch hazel, ten drops of patchouli essential oil. Mix these ingredients and store the resultant solution in a bottle. Applying this solution daily at night with the help of a cotton ball facilitates the healing process of the skin thereby reducing wrinkles.
• Take two tablespoons of vodka, two teaspoons of honey and one tablespoon of fennel seeds. Mix these ingredients in a bowl and leave the mixture for about three days; acts as an effective skin toner.
Diet for Wrinkles
Wrinkles are often associated with vitamin deficiencies; so a healthy diet comprising the key vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin E prevents wrinkles. Green vegetables, nuts, papaya, sprouts are some of the items which keep the skin healthy and slow down the skin’s aging process. The antioxidants present in fruits and vegetables protect against premature wrinkling of the skin. Flaxseed oil can be used in salads to check premature wrinkle formation. Salads with fresh puslane act as effective natural home remedies for wrinkles.
Leave a Reply