Natural home remedies to relieve Sinus Pressure are highly beneficial in getting rid of this problem which is caused by infection or inflammation of the sinuses. Basically, pressure in sinus cavities builds up because of swelling of nasal membranes which, in turn, block tiny openings from sinuses thereby obstructing flow of mucus and air between the nose and sinuses.
The condition is characterized by pain and pressure around forehead, nose, cheeks etc. It can also develop between and behind the eyes or other locations depending on the location of under ventilated sinuses involved.
It is often accompanied by other symptoms such as headache, bad breath, hay fever, earache, congestion, post-nasal drip, yellow mucus and so on. The pain and pressure tend to be more in case your sinus infection progresses to acute bacterial Sinusitis. Hence, it is essential to heal the problem as soon as possible to avoid Sinus Pressure.
Natural Home Remedies to Relieve Sinus Pressure
• Steam inhalation for 15-20 minutes about 2-4 times in a day is one of the best natural home remedies to relieve Sinus Pressure. You can also add eucalyptus oil or thyme leaves in boiling water before inhaling the steam to make this natural treatment more effective. Placing a hot towel over the nose and airways so that you can inhale warm vapors is also useful.
• Using steam shower or steamer is another popular natural remedy for relieving Sinus Pressure. In addition, use humidifier to increase moisture in air to avoid sinus irritation due to dry air.
• Inhaling eucalyptus oil by putting a few drops of the oil on a handkerchief or tissue is also useful in reducing the congestion. A combination of few drops of eucalyptus, peppermint and lavender essential oils can also be used for this purpose. While sniffing, avoid bringing the cloth or tissue too close to your eyes or mouth.
• Herbal teas, particularly ginger and peppermint tea are considered as valuable natural home remedies to relieve Sinus Pressure and blockage. Drinking plenty of fluids, especially lukewarm water is also beneficial in healing the problem and providing Sinus Pressure relief. You can also have hot soups.
• Using nasal saline sprays to rinse the nasal passages is another helpful home treatment for Sinus Pressure relief. Neti pots can also be used to get rid of sinus blockage and congestion causing sinus pressure.
You can also opt for salt water nasal irrigation through bulb syringe irrigation kit or sinus rinse bottle. The solution to be used can be prepared by mixing one and a half teaspoon of salt and a pinch of baking soda in eight ounces of water.
• Herbs like yarrow, goldenseal, elderflowers, sage, chamomile etc are considered as highly beneficial natural home remedies to relieve Sinus Pressure. You can have herbal tinctures or inhale vapors of infusions prepared by boiling any of these herbs in water.
• Having juice extracted from horseradish root is useful in curing sinus congestion by facilitating the expulsion of mucus from nasal cavity and sinuses. Or, you can have a mixture of two cups horseradish pulp and juice squeezed out of three lemons. Take half a teaspoon of this mixture two times in a day for about one week.
• Drinking a cup of thyme decoction 2-4 times in a day can help a great deal in controlling sinus infection thereby preventing Sinus Pressure and congestion. Prepare the decoction by brewing one or two teaspoons of thyme in boiling water for 10 minutes.
• Keeping your head elevated while sleeping allows mucus to drain from the sinuses thereby aiding in reducing the blockage. So, this serves as a simple yet effective home remedy for Sinus Pressure relief.
• Sinus relief massage (around forehead, temples, under eyes etc), sinus acupressure, yoga and aromatherapy are also considered as good natural cures to relieve Sinus Pressure. In fact, a Swedish study has revealed that the practice of humming om during yoga helps open up blocked sinuses as the vibrations resonate through the nose and face.
An important tip for dealing with Sinus Pressure is to stay away from smoking and avoid relying on nasal sprays and decongestants too much. Have spicy foods and condiments to open clogged sinuses. However, do not overindulge in such foods, especially when suffering from acid reflux or heartburn.
In case the condition is severe, accompanied by fever and persists even after the application of natural home remedies to relieve Sinus Pressure then it is recommended to consult an ENT doctor.
Leave a Reply