Natural home remedies to unclog ears are extremely useful in getting rid of ear congestion through home treatment. The problem arises due to blockage in Eustachian tube which connects the inner ear to the back of the nose.
Issues like Sinus Infection, Common Cold, Hay Fever, Pneumonia, Allergy, ear wax buildup, swimming, sudden changes in air pressure (for instance, when flying on an airplane, scuba diving and other such activities are the most common factors that cause this problem.
In addition, injury, infection and fluid accumulation in middle ear etc contribute in clogging ears. In rare cases, ear congestion may also be caused by Meniere’s disease.
You can get rid of this irritating ENT problem by adopting some natural home remedies to unclog ears. Moreover, healing clogged ears in time can help avoid further complications.
Natural Home Remedies to Unclog Ears
• Hot baths and steam inhalations are the most popular natural home remedies to unclog ears. You can also use warm compresses either by soaking a washcloth in warm water and applying it after wringing out excess water or by using a hot water bottle wrapped in a small piece of towel. These simple therapies are highly beneficial in unclogging ears by aiding in fluid discharge and clearing the congestion.
• An important tip to avoid clogged ears during cold and sinus infection is not to blow your nose to hard. Further, make sure you keep your mouth open when blowing your nose.
Nonetheless, do not sniff constantly and hold back the congestion. Besides, drink plenty of water, have herbal teas and include more ginger and garlic in the diet to heal the problem naturally.
• Yawning, swallowing water repeatedly (while the nose is pinched), sucking a piece of hard candy and chewing gum are considered as the easiest possible natural remedies for clogged ears. These actions reduce pressure and help activate the muscles that open the Eustachian tube. This method is highly beneficial when dealing with changes in barometric pressure.
• To encourage drainage naturally and relieve ear pressure, keep the head elevated to approximately six inches. This tip is particularly useful when dealing with clogged ears in case of children.
• Hydrogen peroxide home remedy is one of the most widely used natural home remedies to unclog ears because it has antibiotic properties. To follow this natural cure put about two drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide in the affected ear, wait for about ten minutes until you hear crackling sound and then tilt your head to drain out the solution.
If you are doubtful that the solution might be too strong then you can dilute it by mixing equal amount of warm water in the solution. You can also use a combination of apple cider vinegar and alcohol in the same way as an effective clogged ears natural treatment. A mixture of baking soda and warm water can be used too. Finally, use a bulb syringe filled with warm water to remove the remaining congestion.
• If the condition is caused by ear wax buildup, you can try putting a few drops of warm olive oil in the affected ear to soften ear wax. Simply soak a cotton ball in the oil and put in your ear for about 10-15 minutes.
Finally, clean the area with a simple cotton swab. Coconut oil can also be used in the same way. Be careful while using any of these ear irrigation procedures because this is an extremely delicate organ that can be damaged easily.
• One of the natural home remedies to unclog ears is to close your nostrils with your fingers, breathe in through the mouth and then force out the air through nose.
As the nostrils would be closed, air would try to exit through the ear canals, thereby aiding in unclogging ears. However, do not blow out air too forcefully. Besides, do not follow this breathing exercise when dealing with ear infection.