In your quest to find out how to get rid of a cold sore, you will find numerous tips and tricks ranging from natural remedies like aloe vera juice, tea tree oil etc to a variety of over-the-counter medications.
However, in spite of following these measures meticulously you are not likely to escape the recurrence of this contagious condition because it cannot be prevented completely.
This happens because cold sore or fever blisters are caused by herpes simplex virus infection. The infection primarily spreads through saliva. Plus, kissing an infected person or close contact with his/her cold sore lesions can spread this infection.
Usually, the immune system keeps this virus in dormant state within the body. But, factors like sunburn, fever, cold and flu, fatigue, cold weather, stress, menstruation, pregnancy, skin irritation, dental treatment, intake of steroidal medicines etc affect the immune system adversely. This makes the virus active and leads to outbreaks of cold sores.
Signs and Symptoms of Cold Sore: Cold Sores appear as red, raised, fluid-filled blisters. These painful blisters can appear separately or in clusters. Areas around lips, nostrils, chin and cheeks are the most common sites of these breakouts.
Moreover, you are likely to experience certain signs like tenderness, burning or tingling sensation a few days or hours before these ugly sores actually appear.
Generally, cold sores clear up within a few days or a couple of weeks. In most of the cases, these sores do not leave scars after healing. Do not confuse these fever blisters with blisters appearing inside the mouth referred to as Canker Sores.
How to get rid of a cold sore?
• Applying aloe vera juice on the affected area is one of the most popular natural cures for cold sore home treatment.
• Using a cotton swab soaked in tea tree oil is useful in getting rid of a cold sore fast. You can follow this simple therapy several times in a day.
Dilute the oil by mixing equal amount of water in it in case your skin is sensitive. Oil of oregano, goldenseal, echinacea or myrrh tincture can be used.
• Application of apple cider vinegar on the affected area is a tried and tested Cold Sore home remedy.
Besides, regular consumption of 2 tablespoons of this solution mixed in a cup of water helps relieve heartburn, cures skin disorders, lowers blood glucose levels and aids in weight loss.
• In case you are looking for a simpler trick on how to get rid of your cold sore naturally then just apply some raw milk (whole milk) on the blisters to heal them.
• Applying a cotton swab dipped in grapefruit seed extract is considered as one of the best home remedies to eliminate a cold sore.
Follow this natural treatment 2-3 times in a day. You can also a combination of 3 drops of this extract and a tablespoon of olive oil.
• Dab some rubbing alcohol on the affected area for about 5-10 minutes to reduce a cold sore considerably. You can also try nail polish remover.
Watch this video explaining how to get rid of cold sores.
• Drinking lemon balm tea is valuable in eliminating a cold sore because it has anti viral properties.
• Garlic also possesses antiviral properties that help get rid of a cold sore. So, crush a garlic clove, apply its juice on the affected area and leave it on skin for at least half an hour. In addition, include garlic in your diet.
• Applying a solution of salt and water is useful in reducing cold sores. Plus, you can dab some toothpaste (not gel) mixed with a teaspoon of salt.
• Apply some spirit of camphor as soon as you observe the initial signs of an outbreak to control this problem. Lysine lip balm is also beneficial in getting rid of cold sores fast.
• Prepare a thick paste by adding a teaspoon of water in two teaspoons of baking soda. Put this mixture on the affected area at least once in a day. It works by drying out the fluid-filled blister. You can also mix some salt in it.
When using these cold sore home medicines, observe your skin’s reaction closely and do not apply any of the aforementioned remedies that create stinging sensation for longer duration. Needless to say, do not touch the sore over and over again for it can get infected with bacteria.
In terms of diet, try to avoid argine rich foods like nuts and chocolates. Instead, include lysine rich foods such as milk, brewer’s yeast, wheat germ etc. Besides, you can take adequate dose of acidophilus, garlic, lysine supplements.
Plus, the best tip on how to get rid of a cold sore is to start your treatment as soon as you experience tingling, tenderness and other early signs before cold sores pop up.
Leave a Reply