Being equipped with simple ways on how to get rid of a cold can be highly beneficial in dealing with annoying symptoms of common cold and eventually curing the infection.
The problem is basically caused by viral infection. Although this illness is more common during fall and winter season, it is not believed to be caused by exposure to cold. The virus thrives on cozy indoor environment and being contagious, spreads quite easily.
Besides, factors like stress, low immunity and allergic reactions affecting the nasal passages increase the susceptibility of developing this disease.
Some of the most common Cold symptoms are runny nose, headache, sore throat, sneezing, watery eyes, nasal congestion, cough, mild fever and fatigue. The condition is considered more serious in case of infants and newborns.
So, how to get rid of a cold? Given below are some tips and home remedies for natural treatment of a cold.
• Add one tablespoon of grated ginger and one teaspoon each of cinnamon powder and licorice in two cups of water and let the solution boil. Finally, strain the solution, mix a teaspoon of honey in it and drink a cup of this home medicine about every three hours to relieve a cold fast.
• Having herbal teas like that of chamomile, yarrow, echinacea, elderflower, sage, anise, agrimony, peppermint, ginger, basil etc is one of the most highly recommended tips for getting rid of a cold.
Here’s a video showing how to get rid of a cold.
• Taking a cup of warm water mixed with half a teaspoon of black pepper powder and one teaspoon of jaggery works as a common cold natural cure.
• Boil some water, add a tablespoon of crushed Bishop’s weed (ajwain) in it and place your head over steam to inhale the vapors. You may also add a tablespoon of turmeric powder in the solution. This serves as a great home remedy to get rid of a cold.
• Gargling with lukewarm salt water and using saline nasal sprays can help reduce a cold by clearing congestion. You could also try more comforting steam baths.
• Take a cup of ground mustard, place on a piece of cloth and wrap it. Place this cloth in a pan having 4 cups of water and boil the solution for about 10 minutes. Finally, prepare for a hot foot bath by adding this solution in some warm water to get rid of a cold.
• Onion and garlic possess therapeutic properties that can combat a cold and shorten its duration. You can combine the two by mixing garlic oil in onion juice and then adding water in the decoction for sake of dilution.
In addition, refreshing juices such as grape juice, pineapple juice, orange juice, carrot juice and other such juices are also considered beneficial in common cold treatment and prevention.
• Using vaporizer or humidifier helps in dealing with common cold. You could also add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in it; a tip derived from aromatherapy. Besides, keep in mind that over the counter medications like decongestants and expectorant only provide temporary relief.
• Vitamin C has been hailed an effective remedy to reduce a cold but various studies do not attest this belief. Nonetheless, vitamin C does aid in boosting the immune system and hence helps in preventing a cold to some extent.
• The best way to get rid of a cold virus is to help your immune system fight off the infection. So, you just need to facilitate the process of healing through adequate rest and relaxation.
• Stay hydrated by drinking water at regular intervals to cleanse your system and avoid becoming dehydrated due to the illness. You can also have hot vegetable soups, herbal teas and other healthy liquids.
Drop the idea of getting hydration through tea, coffee, soft drink or other such drinks because these beverages actually contribute in dehydration. Needless to add, stop smoking.
• Regularly taking a mixture of ten basil (tulsi) leaves boiled in a cup of milk (preferably cow’s milk) is highly beneficial in avoiding common cold, particularly in children.
In case you are wondering how to get rid of a cold accompanied by high fever, chills, severe sinus pain or other such serious symptoms then it is better to seek proper advice from a doctor.
Jhell Smith says
Take a cup of ground mustard, place on a piece of cloth and wrap it. Place this cloth in a pan having 4 cups of water and boil the solution for about 10 minutes. Finally, prepare for a hot foot bath by adding this solution in some warm water to get rid of a cold.