Although some youngsters are not scared to flaunt their love bites, there are many who scrupulously look for ways on how to get rid of a hickey. This is particularly true when you have an important event coming up where your kiss mark is likely to make you embarrassed.
Hickey is a bruise that is caused by sucking or biting the skin too hard while kissing. It is formed when blood vessels present under the skin get ruptured due to biting or sucking.
The blood oozes out of broken blood vessels and then clots under the skin, thereby forming red, brown or purple colored kiss marks. Hickeys usually fade and heal within a few days. The darker ones, however, may take a couple of weeks to heal.
Given below are some tips and suggestions on how to get rid of a hickey.
• Application of ice pack on the affected area soon after a hickey is given can help prevent hickey from swelling. Plus, it constricts ruptured capillaries and reduces bleeding.
However, when following this therapy, make sure you do not apply ice directly on the wound. So, wrap it in a piece of cloth or towel and then place it on the hickey for 10-15 minutes to make it lighter.
• Massaging is another widely used natural way to get rid of a hickey. Just rub the area gently in circular motion.
You can make use of a coin, hard bristled toothbrush, a cold spoon (kept in freezer for about 20 minutes) or any other hard object for following this simple home remedy. Do not rub for too long or too vigorously, or else the wound may worsen.
• After a couple of days when the capillaries have healed apply heat on the affected area for about 5 minutes to dilate the capillaries and facilitate the healing process. Follow this natural treatment by applying a wash cloth soaked in warm water. You can also place wet warm tea bags on a hickey about three times in a day.
• You can combine the heat and massage tricks to fade hickey marks by blowing warm air on the area with the help of a hair dryer and then combing it gently to improve circulation.
• Applying a thin layer of mint based toothpaste on the affected area overnight helps in reducing and fading a hickey. In case your skin is sensitive then remove the toothpaste after a few minutes, place warm washcloth over the area.
• Applying vitamin K cream is beneficial in curing a hickey naturally. You can also use comfrey or calendula cream to aid in the process of healing and reduce hickeys.
When following these home remedies for getting rid of hickeys, remember that there are no magic cures that can remove a hickey quickly in no time. Thus, you can use a few tips to conceal your hickey until it heals completely.
The most popular way to hide a hickey is to use foundation makeup or concealer on it to make it lighter and less visible. Preferably, use a green eye shadow and then apply a concealer that matches with your skin tone.
Here’s a video to help you with makeup tips to cover hickey marks.
Another option is to keep your hickey hidden under clothing. As hickies are usually given on neck, you can wear high neck shirts, turtlenecks or cover the area with a scarf. Be confident and use common sense to come up with innovative ways to make it disappear.
Nonetheless, the best tip on how to get rid of a hickey is to take measures to facilitate the process of healing and let it heal naturally.