When seeking out ways on how to get rid of bad breath, it is best to apply a holistic approach consisting of natural remedies, preventive measures and analysis of the underlying cause.
Bad breath, medically referred to as Halitosis is an embarrassing condition characterized by symptoms like unpleasant smell from mouth, yellow or white coated tongue and a somewhat metallic taste in mouth.
The problem is mostly associated with dry mouth caused by decreased saliva in mouth. Breathing through mouth also tends to cause dry mouth, thereby leading to bad breath. In addition, certain medications contribute in causing dry mouth and hence indirectly causing bad breath.
Individuals are more likely to experience bad breath in the morning due to dry mouth as well as improper oral hygiene leading accumulation of bacteria in mouth.
Moreover, intake of pungent foods such as garlic, onion, certain spices, Camembert and Roquefort cheese, and beverages like coffee and alcohol can give rise to this problem. You are likely to experience bad breath in case you are on a high protein, low carbohydrate diet for weight loss.
Besides, bad breath can be caused by issues like:
• Chronic bronchitis, sinus infection, post nasal drip, tonsil stones and other such conditions
• Throat infection
• Gum Disease
• Tooth decay
• Yeast infections of mouth
• Wearing poorly-fitting dentures
• Smoking or tobacco abuse
• Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
• Duodenal ulcer
• Kidney or liver disease
How to get rid of bad breath naturally?
• Chewing cardamom seeds is perhaps the easiest possible natural cure for bad breath. You can also prepare a natural bad breath medicine by boiling a cup of water mixed with one teaspoon each of cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaves. Finally, strain the solution and drink it to eliminate this problem.
• Simply boiling a cup of water mixed with a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and using it as a mouthwash is highly beneficial in relieving bad breath.
• Parsley is another valuable home remedy for getting rid of bad breath. Chewing a sprig of fresh parsley can help neutralize bad breath easily. In addition, you can use an infusion of parsley and 3 ground cloves boiled in a cup of water as homemade mouthwash to reduce foul breath odor.
• Rinse your mouth with a solution of equal amounts of water and hydrogen peroxide (3%) for about 30 seconds to control bad breath. Do not swallow it.
• Eating fennel seeds or drinking fennel tea serves as a tried and tested remedy to get rid of bad breath. Follow this therapy particularly after meals.
• Chewing herbs like basil, mint, coriander, aniseed, juniper berries, rosemary, sage, wintergreen etc is useful in natural treatment of bad breath.
• Prepare a refreshing mouthwash by mixing 2 drops of clove oil, 2 drops of myrrh tincture and 6 drops of eucalyptus oil in a pint of water. Rinse your mouth with this solution every morning to get rid of bad breath.
• Regular intake of yogurt is highly recommended when dealing with bad breath problem to fight off foul odor-causing bacteria.
• Taking warm water mixed with a teaspoon of fig syrup every night works as one of the best natural home remedies to get rid of bad breath.
• Having crunchy foods like apples, carrots, pears, celery etc stimulates the production of saliva thereby reducing bad breath caused by dry mouth. Plus, consumption of citrus juices, especially pineapple juice helps heal bad breath. Sucking a slice of lemon is also useful in this regard.
How to avoid bad breath at home?
• Maintain adequate oral hygiene by brushing your teeth and scraping your tongue after meals
• Floss about once in a day
• Use peppermint mouthwash; avoid the ones containing more than 25% alcohol
• Clean dentures thoroughly
• Drink plenty of water
• Include adequate amount of carbohydrates and fiber in the diet
• Limit the intake of pungent smelling foods like garlic, particularly before important events
• Quit smoking
• Visit your dentist at least two times in a year so that dental problems can be detected in time to help prevent bad breath and other symptoms
Watch this video explainig how to get rid of bad breath through diet.
In case you are looking for tips on how to remove bad breath immediately before any important event then you can use sugarless gums, mints, tart candies or breath sprays specifically meant for the purpose of breath refreshment.