Tips and tricks on how to get rid of dandruff usually revolve around natural home remedies like coconut oil, baby oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and so on.
The most common symptoms of dandruff on scalp are dry, itchy and flaky scalp. Dandruff flakes tend to grow in size with oil and dirt build up.
Unlike the popular misconception, though, the condition does not cause permanent hair loss.
More often than not, Dandruff forms due to issues like dry skin, contact dermatitis, Psoriasis, Seborrheic dermatitis and weak immune system because of chemotherapy or neurological disorders. Besides, factors such as using hard water for washing hair, vitamin B deficiency in diet, stress, etc.
This problem is not caused by excessive shampooing and hair coloring. Nevertheless, limit the use of cosmetic hair products like hair sprays, gels, creams and mousses as they lead to accumulation of oil on the scalp which, in turn, comes out as flakes.
How to Get Rid of Dandruff Naturally
- • Regularly massaging the scalp with coconut oil or castor oil and leaving it on hair for at least one hour is useful in curing dandruff. Moreover, it stimulates hair follicles and promotes hair growth. You can also add lemon juice in the oil.
- • Applying a mixture of seven drops of cedarwood essential oil, ten drops of cypress essential oil and again ten drops of juniper oil, all added in about 50 ml of carrier oil is highly beneficial in getting rid of dandruff naturally. Leave the oil on scalp for about an hour and wash it off with a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- • After washing your hair, apply some yogurt on scalp and then rinse after 10-15 minutes. It works as an effective hair conditioner. Besides, yogurt helps in the treatment of fungal infection.
- • Prepare a mixture by adding three drops each of honey and lemon in two tablespoons of yogurt. Apply it on the scalp and rinse your hair after 15 minutes to control dandruff considerably.
- • Rinsing your hair with apple cider vinegar as a final rinse is useful in healing dandruff problem caused by pH imbalance.
- • Application of aloe vera, baking soda, baby oil, etc. aid in the home treatment of dandruff. In addition, take two teaspoons of flaxseed oil regularly for a few months.
Here’s a video showing how to get rid of dandruff with natural remedies like apple cider vinegar and honey.
- • If you are wondering how to reduce dandruff with lemon then here’s the solution. Rub a lemon peel on the scalp and gently massage the scalp. Finally, rinse your hair after half an hour.
In case you do not want to put lemon directly on the scalp, you boil one liter water along with peels of three or four lemons for 15-20 minutes. Let the mixture cool. Then, rinse your hair with this infusion at least once in a week.
- • Besides, you can prepare a mixture of lemon juice and vinegar, taken in equal quantities, apply it on scalp and wash it off after 15 minutes.
Another simple procedure to facilitate dandruff control is to soak a clean hair brush in a solution of warm water and lemon juice (equal proportion) for about an hour and then use it.
- • Boil five tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil and add one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds (crushed) in it. When the mixture cools, apply it on the scalp and wash it off after about two hours. Follow this therapy regularly to remove dandruff from your scalp.
- • Use a shampoo after adding some tea tree oil in it to get rid of dandruff easily. You may also try adding camellia seeds in it.
- • Taking red clover extract internally or applying it on scalp is valuable in the natural treatment of dandruff.
- • Prepare a herbal infusion of sage, thyme or nettle (fresh or dried) along with two tablespoons of vinegar and use this solution as a final rinse to as a natural remedy to control dandruff.
Apart from these suggestions on how to get rid of dandruff fast, regularly shampoo your hair with a medicated and anti-dandruff shampoo with containing ingredients like zinc pyrithione, ketoconazole, salicylic acid, selenium sulfide and tar to remove fungus and reduce cell turnover.
There is no fixed frequency for shampooing as it depends on individual hair type and the kind of shampoo you are using.