Before learning about how to get rid of double chin, it is suggested to find out the underlying cause for this problem.
For instance, at times, the problem of double chin and dry, round face arises due to hypothyroidism, which is also accompanied by symptoms like weight gain, fatigue, dry skin, brittle fingernails, hair loss, increased need for sleep, hoarse voice, etc.
Besides, aging (causes loose, saggy skin), sluggish lymphatic system, hereditary factors, improper posture and bone structure may also cause slight double chin.
However, the most common reason for developing unattractive second chin (additional layer of fat under the jaw) is obesity.
Tips on how to get rid of Double Chin fat
- • Chin exercises are highly beneficial in reducing double chin. One of the simplest exercises in regard is stretching the loose skin under your chin in upward direction to keep the skin from sagging. Plus, try to keep your jaw muscles firm as much as possible to exercise the flabby muscles.
- • Pull your head back, chin pointing upwards and stretch your lips making a pout for about five seconds. Repeat the process 3-4 times. While performing this exercise, try to keep other facial muscles relaxed.Check out this video showing how to lose double chin using an easy exercise.
- • Sit on an armless chair that ends right below your shoulders so that it can support your head comfortably. Tilt your head back until you look towards the ceiling and hold this position for about 10 seconds to tighten the jaw muscles and then relax. Repeat the exercise 10 times and do 10-15 sets for at least three times in a week in order to exercise your platysma muscle.
- • Perform neck rolls while standing or sitting; keeping the spine erect in either case. It requires gently rotating your neck in clockwise and then anti-clockwise motion. Not only does this exercise trims your double chin but it also reduces shoulder and neck pain.
- • Tips and tricks on how to get rid of your double chin also involve binding technique. This therapy requires you to tie a rectangular cloth or scarf around your head and chin before going to sleep.
- • Another easy workout for your second chin is to keep your mouth open for a few seconds and then close it. Follow this procedure several times in a day.
- • Open your mouth wide and pull the lower lip tight over your bottom teeth. Next, move your jaw up and down. Continue this exercise about 10-15 times, thrice daily.
- • Roll the tongue inside while touching the end of the jaw line. Follow this process for a couple of minutes. Besides, you can lift and lower the jaw up and down to stretch the muscles.
- • Diet and exercise play an important role in getting rid of a double chin. Thus, eliminate junk food from your diet and focus on nutritious fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Plan a healthy diet and monitor your calorie intake.Here’s a video explaining how to get rid of a double chin.
- • As double chin develops due to excess weight, try to lose weight by exercising the body. You can include cardio, running and resistance training in your exercise program. Yoga is another great option.
- • Make a few short and quick wiggles of your chin against the chest to help lose double chin fat.
- • Chewing sugar-free gums is an effective home remedy to get rid of double chin. Plus, perform facial and neck massage every month.
- • Improve your sitting posture by keeping your body straight, head up and neck erect. It strengthens the jaw muscles and makes your double chin appear less noticeable. In addition, sport an appropriate hairstyle that does not accentuate your flabby second chin. In terms of clothing, go for open necklines rather than chokers.
If you are wondering how to get rid of double chin fast then you may consider cosmetic surgery (chin liposuction) to remove excess fat underneath your chin. However, it is usually advised to avoid surgeries as far as possible because they give rise to complications.