Using anti-inflammatory creams and adopting natural home remedies such as oatmeal bath, is the best tip on how to get rid of Eczema or Dermatitis.
However, you should first understand the causes and symptoms of this chronic disease in order to decide upon the most suitable treatment for you.
The problem is more common in infants than adults. It gives rise to rashes on face, hands, ankles, back of knees, neck, upper chest, etc. accompanied by itching and resulting in dry, scaly and crusted sores on skin. It is not contagious, though. The blisters generally appear in patches.
More often than not, this inflammatory skin condition is caused by allergies, environmental irritants, sweating, emotional stress and certain other triggers. Atopic Dermatitis is usually caused by hereditary factors.
Nevertheless, there are certain natural cures and home medicines that can help control Eczema flare-ups considerably without any side effects.
Besides, you can use anti-inflammatory creams and antihistamines, too. Needless to say, you need to refrain from persistent scratching as it tends to worsen the condition by causing further infection.
How to Get Rid of Eczema Naturally
- • Colloidal oatmeal baths are excellent for the home treatment of Eczema. It relieves itching and soothes the skin. Grind a cup of oatmeal in a blender to get a very fine powder.
To check the consistency, add one tablespoon of this powder in a glass of warm water and stir. If it dissolves completely, the solution appears milky and feels silky then you need not grind further.
Pour this powder in a tub of warm water (you can add a cup of milk as well) and soak in it for about 15-20 minutes. Finally, wash your body with water without using soap.
Here’s a video showing how to prepare an oatmeal bath.
- • To reduce Eczema on face, apply a paste of unflavored oatmeal, honey and some warm water on your face.
- • Application of coconut oil is highly beneficial in getting rid of Eczema. You can also apply castor oil mixed with calendula extract.
- • Mix one teaspoon each of camphor, sandalwood powder, and sufficient rose water to form a paste. Apply this paste on the affected area to help heal Eczema rashes naturally.
- • Application of shea butter helps reduce skin issues like Eczema and Psoriasis. It also works as a moisturizer for skin.
- • Extract the juice of Margosa (neem) leaves and add a teaspoon of turmeric powder in it. Apply this paste on the affected areas to get rid of Eczema.
- • Consuming musk melons and applying musk melon juice on the skin is helpful in dealing with Eczema. Besides, juice extracted from green finger millet leaves can be applied.
- • Putting damp calcium bentonite clay on the affected areas and then covering with a plastic wrap (to hold moisture) can help clear Eczema trouble in a few months. Follow this Eczema remedy regularly for a few hours.
- • Use an infusion of white oak, comfrey root and slippery elm bark boiled in water to cleanse the skin.
- • Peel off the skin of a mango and boil its pulp in sufficient water. When it cools, mash the pulp in the solution to form a paste and apply it on skin. Follow this therapy for about 10-15 days to cure Eczema naturally.
- • Take two tablespoons of flaxseed oil daily to facilitate the process of healing. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and hence reduces inflammation. Moreover, it has high fiber content and includes many antioxidants. Regular consumption of this oil improves the immune system, lowers cholesterol levels and fights obesity. Plus, drink green tea.
- • Sunbath and steam baths are useful in controlling Eczema.
Tips on how to prevent Eczema flare ups
- • Keep the skin moisturized (preferably with vitamin E oil)
- • Reduce Stress
- • Avoid excessive sweating
- • Avoid clothes prepared from synthetic fibers and even wool as it tends to cause skin irritation
- • Do not use harsh and soaps and body lotions; avoid scented ones, too
- • Stay away from foods that you are allergic to
- • Avoid extremely hot, cold or dry conditions
- • Maintain proper hygiene
- • Choose organic skin care products
- • When dealing with weeping Eczema, prefer creams or lotions over ointments
In case you are wondering how to get rid of Eczema with the help of conventional medicines then you can try antihistamines like hydroxine, cyproheptadine and Diphenhydramine.
Moreover, you may use hydrocortisone 1% cream to reduce inflammation caused by mild to moderate Eczema. Oral corticosteroids may also be prescribed. Besides, coal tar treatments may be considered in order to reduce severe itching and loosen skin flakes.