Fever blisters, also known as cold sores are caused by herpes simplex virus (HSV-1). As this problem is quite common and affects and gives rise to annoying sores, especially on the face, around the mouth or lips, it is obvious to look for ways on how to get rid of fever blisters.
Infection of this virus is extremely contagious. It spreads through saliva (mostly due to kissing), or direct skin contact with the sore or the skin around it. The herpes virus cannot be completely gotten rid of.
It stays in the nerve pathways and causes outbreaks or flare ups due to factors like stress, sun exposure, temperature extremes, common cold, injury, fever, menstruation, changes in the immune system, intake of certain medications, etc.
Signs and symptoms of fever blisters are itching, tingling, burning sensation and ultimately appearance of fluid filled blisters around the nose or chin within two to three days. They tend to heal within a week or two and do not leave scars. Remember not to pick or squeeze the sore or else it is likely to worsen.
How to get rid of fever blisters
- • One of the simplest home remedies for getting rid of fever blisters is to apply baking soda mixed with little water in order to dry out the sore and create an alkaline environment. Alternatively, you can use buttermilk instead of water.
- • Applying peppermint oil on the affected area several times, right when you feel the tingling sensation indicating a flare-up, is highly beneficial in the natural treatment of fever blisters even before they appear. You can try apple cider vinegar as well.
- • Putting an ice pack over the sore for about 10-15 minutes is useful in numbing the pain.
- • Placing a wet tea bag on skin for 10 minutes (black tea or green tea) helps cure this problem before it develops into an ugly blister. Repeat this therapy a number of times in a day. You can use frozen tea bags to relieve the pain and discomfort.
- • Applying a combination of two drops each of lavender oil and tea tree oil works as a natural remedy for fever blisters home treatment.
- • Repeatedly applying aloe vera gel on the affected area helps you get rid of fever blisters naturally by facilitating the process of healing. Sage oil and mint oil are also beneficial in this regard. Besides, drink sage tea (you can add ginger as well) to help your immune system fight the infection.
- • When dealing with fever blisters on lips, apply a solution of one teaspoon aloe vera juice mixed with two drops of grapefruit seed extract. In case you do not have aloe juice, use olive oil.Here’s a video showing how to conceal a fever blister with make up.
- • Aromatherapy oils like geranium oil, rose oil, lemon oil, Roman Chamomile oil, etc. blended with base oil, for instance, sweet almond oil help cure fever blisters. Simply applying petroleum jelly can ease the inflammation and prevent contamination.
- • Apply lemon balm extract on the sores three to four times in a day to heal fever blisters fast.
- • Smearing a small amount of manuka honey on the affected area is useful in getting rid of fever blisters. It is also prevents the infection from spreading further.
- • Lysine is an amino acid that is highly effective in reducing fever blisters. Thus, you can take L-Lysine supplements and apply L-Lysine ointments to fight the infection as soon as you notice the initial symptoms.Moreover, consume foods high lysine foods such as milk, cheese, plain yogurt, buttermilk, whipped cream, apples, apricots, legumes, brewer’s yeast, etc.
Avoid extremely spicy foods and high arginine foods like eggplant, beans, seafood, peas, sunflower seeds, egg whites, chocolates, gelatin, nuts like cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, and so on.
Individuals suffering from gallbladder disorder, kidney disease, liver problem and high cholesterol, however, should avoid lysine supplements. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should with a doctor before taking the supplement.
In case you are interested in finding out how to get rid of fever blisters with medications then you can take prescribed drugs such as acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir) or valacyclovir (Valtrex) to reduce the discomfort and heal fever blisters faster. In addition, you can apply benzyl alcohol or lidocaine on the affected area for temporary relief.