Tips on how to get rid of greasy hair involve quick fixes like dusting baby powder or cornstarch on the oily areas. However, the solutions for masking oily hair will work only for a short time.
Thus, you cannot replace the process of regularly washing your hair and maintaining proper hair hygiene with these remedies.
Basically, this problem arises due to overactive oil glands and genetic predisposition. Besides, stress, diet, hormonal imbalance, puberty, menopause, and other similar factors may also lead to oily hair.
The most obvious symptom of having greasy hair is presence of an oily sheen on hair within a few hours, or even minutes of washing.
How to Get Rid of Greasy Hair
- • Washing your hair daily or every alternate day with a clarifying shampoo is the most common cure for greasy hair. While shampooing, use your fingers to massage the scalp instead of scrubbing vigorously.
However, do not brush your hair too frequently. When using conditioners, choose the ones that are specifically formulated for oily hair and use them only on the ends of your hair rather than the scalp and middle portion.
- • You can prepare a homemade hair conditioner for greasy hair. For this, you need to boil a cup of water and add a chamomile tea bad in it. After five minutes, mix one tablespoon of honey and a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar.
Finally, squeeze the juice of one lemon in it (optional). Store this solution in bottle. Use it on your lustrous locks for about ten minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- • To get rid of greasy hair, prepare a pre-shampoo hair mask by adding one teaspoon of vodka and two tablespoons of castor oil in parsley infusion (take 100 grams of chopped parsley and boil in water). Leave this mixture on hair for half an hour. Next, wash it off with a solution of vinegar (diluted with water). Finally, shampoo your hair to remove excess oil.
- • Another natural cure for greasy hair is to use a rosemary decoction as the final rinse. Prepare this solution by adding a quarter cup of dried rosemary in one and a half cup of boiling water. Finally, strain and the solution and wash your hair with this filtrate after shampooing.
- • Take three parts of Listerine (brown) and one part of water. Rinse your locks with this solution to reduce greasiness in hair. Listerine is also helpful in treating dandruff. Before following this therapy, wash your hair thoroughly with a clarifying shampoo.
- • Rinsing your hair with a solution of lukewarm water mixed with lemon juice and washing it off after half an hour is one of the most popular home remedies for getting rid of greasy hair. Another advantage of this treatment is that it adds shine to your hair.
- • Simply rinsing your hair with a solution of a quart of warm water mixed with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar is useful in reducing oiliness in hair. Follow this procedure after shampooing.
- • Dusting a bit of baby powder, talcum powder or cornstarch on the crown area around the roots can help absorb the oil to some extent. You can use a make up brush to spread the powder evenly. Finally, brush your hair to remove excess powder.
Check out this video showing how to get rid of greasy hair without washing.
- • White vinegar is also beneficial in reducing oil from hair. In addition, it heals infections as well. For this, mix a cup of white vinegar with a cup of water. To eliminate the vinegar smell, add some drops of lavender oil in it. Wash your hair with this solution and then shampoo when it dries out.
- • Add a teaspoon of aloe vera gel and one tablespoon of lemon juice in your shampoo and then use it. Alternatively, you can use a tea tree shampoo or add herbs like sage and eucalyptus in a mild shampoo to control greasiness in hair. Needless to say, avoid greasy hair care products, especially hair gels. Opt for oil-free hair styling products.
When dealing with extremely oily hair, you definitely need to learn how to get rid of greasy hair in order to avoid further issues like seborrheic dermatitis and fungal infections.