If you are among those who believe more in natural cures rather than over-the-counter medications try to explore tips on how to get rid of heartburn naturally at home. Thus, you can apply a holistic approach and learn about heartburn home remedies for relief.
The condition is usually described as chest pain or burning feeling in the chest due to stomach acids. It may also cause burning sensation in the throat, sore throat, bitter taste in the mouth, mild nausea, chronic cough, difficulty swallowing, etc. Chronic heartburn can be a symptom of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
Chest pain caused by heartburn is often confused with angina or heart attack. However, unlike angina, heartburn is mostly not accompanied by cold sweat and lightheadedness. Heartburn causes pain below the breastbone or ribs.
How to get rid of heartburn at home
- • Drinking a cup of lukewarm water mixed with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and two teaspoons of honey is valuable in reducing heartburn immediately.
- • Herbal teas, particularly, chamomile, cinnamon, basil, and marshmallow root tea are valuable in the home treatment of heartburn.
- • Fresh coconut water, too, works as a natural acid neutralizer and hence treats hyperacidity and heartburn.
- • Consuming a teaspoon of yellow mustard serves as an effective natural cure to get rid of heartburn fast. Make sure you do not drink anything for a few minutes after following this therapy. You can have honey afterwards. This solution is considered safe for pregnanc women as well.
- • Boil some ginger root in a cup of water for about ten minutes and drink it when it cools. This is another easy heartburn home remedy.
- • If you are wondering hoe to reduce heartburn with the help of natural foods then consider having raw almonds, banana, papaya, celery, cucumber, fennel, or yogurt to heal this ailment. Besides, you can consume some pineapple juice after meals.
Watch this video to find out how to treat heratburn and acid reflux naturally.
- • At times, issues like heartburn and digestive distress are enhanced by stress. Thus, you can try yoga or meditation for relaxation.
- • Sleeping with your head elevated (about 6 inches) is another popular suggestion for getting rid of heartburn because it prevents stomach acids from backing up into the esophagus.
- • Simply drinking a glass of water mixed with a teaspoon of baking soda is useful in curing heartburn. This remedy should not be used frequently, though.
- • When dealing with heartburn (especially, when caused by acid reflux), it is suggested to avoid consuming spicy or fatty foods. Moreover, citrus fruits, tomatoes, peppermint, spearmint, caffeine, and alcoholic and carbonated beverages can trigger this problem.
- • Having a little cold milk two to three times in a day is highly beneficial in getting rid of heartburn naturally. Buttermilk is also considered good in this regard. Slight heartburn due to indigestion can be relieved by sipping a small amount of water.
- • Taking a quarter cup of organic aloe vera juice about ten minutes prior to a meal helps soothe heartburn naturally. Follow this therapy for almost four to six weeks.
- • Avoid eating or lying down at least 2-3 hours prior to bed time. Do not exercise right after eating.
- • Being overweight and wearing tightly fitted clothes also tend to increase the risk of developing heartburn due to reflux. Thus, try to lose weight and wear comfortable clothing.
- • In case you are interested in finding out how to get rid of heartburn quickly then you have the option of taking an antacid to help neutralize the stomach acids for temporary relief.
However, remember that solely relying on over-the-counter acid blocking medicines can lead to side effects like vitamin B12 deficiency.