The most common advice on how to get rid of heat rash or prickly heat rash is to take a shower or apply an ice pack and allow the skin to air dry. Irritating heat rashes usually develop during hot and humid weather conditions due to blocked sweat ducts.
More often than not, symptoms of prickly heat develop on the back, waistline, around the neck, chest and underarms. Heat rash bumps are accompanied by itching and redness.
Moreover, they cause stinging or prickling sensation. Apart from the adults, children are also susceptible to this problem because of their underdeveloped sweat glands. Heat rash is known as Miliaria in medical terms.
How to get rid of heat rash naturally?
- • Having an oatmeal bath for about 15–20 minutes, two times in a day is one of the most effective home remedies for getting rid of heat rash. Prepare this solution by dissolving a few tablespoons of colloidal oatmeal in some tepid water and then adding this mixture in cold bath water. You can also add a few drops of chamomile or lavender essential oil in it.
- • Those who are not comfortable with oatmeal baths can cook oatmeal in boiling water for about 10-15 minutes, wrap the oatmeal in a cotton or muslin cloth, and place it on the affected areas to cure prickly heat rash. You can dip this bundle in a bowl of cold water occasionally. You may stuff cooked oatmeal in a clean cotton sock, too.
- • Soaking in bath water mixed with three tablespoons of baking soda for about 10-15 minutes helps in relieving itching caused by heat rashes. After bathing let the skin air-dry as it helps in healing the prickly heat problem naturally.
- • Application of ice packs is highly beneficial in soothing heat rashes.
- • Using an unscented talcum powder four to five times in a day is considered good for reducing prickly heat rash. You can sprinkle cornstarch or baking soda as well to absorb excess moisture and keep the skin free from bacteria. Avoid smearing thick and greasy creams or lotions on skin.
Here’s a video giving suggestions on how to treat heat rash.
- • Aloe vera gel can also be applied to get rid of heat rash. This is particularly a wonderful home remedy for rashes on face. Moreover, you can refrigerate watermelon pulp and rub it on your skin to treat heat rashes at home.
- • Applying a paste of green henna and water is helpful in curing heat rash on skin. In case the rash is severe and infected add crushed Indian lilac (neem) leaves or oil in the paste. You may also use camphor-based preparations.
- • Mix sandalwood powder in rose water sufficient to form a paste. Apply this paste on the affected area to heal heat rash and provide relief. Rinse off the mixture with cold water after 15 minutes.
- • Applying the juice of jewel weed on the affected area serves as a valuable natural cure for heat rash. Juice extracted from the lower part of the stem is the most effective in this regard. This natural remedy works best when applied as soon as the signs and symptoms of prickly heat appear.
- • When dealing with prickly heat, it is suggested to avoid wearing synthetic and tight-fitting clothes; instead opt for light, cotton clothing as it absorbs moisture. Avoid the sun and stay in the shade as far as possible. Plus, keep the skin clean and avoid scratching the rashes in order to avoid infection.
Needless, to say, drink plenty of water throughout the day to beat the heat. You can also have lime juice, orange juice, buttermilk and coconut water.
In case you are interested in tip on how to get rid of heat rash quickly with medications then you can apply a calamine lotion or some hydrocortisone cream on the affected area to ease the irritation and stinging sensation. Plus, you can have an antihistamine.