Outbreaks of hives are characterized by raised, itchy welts on skin surrounded by red flares. This skin condition is caused by allergic reactions. So, when suffering from this annoying problem, you must be willing to find out how to get rid of Hives fast.
In medical terms, it is known as Urticaria. It is a common condition that can appear on any part of the body.
When an allergic reaction is triggered by some allergen (could be due to bug bite, temperature extremes, dust mites, sun exposure, coming in contact with a plant or animal, having milk, eggs, berries, nuts, medicines, etc.) mast cells in the body release histamine and certain other compounds which, in turn, results in symptoms like swelling and appearance of wheals.
How to Get Rid of Hives Naturally
- • Clean the affected area with a mild unscented soap and wash it with cold water. When the skin dries, put some lemon juice on it. After about 10 minutes, apply a mixture of two tablespoons of honey and a pinch of Sea salt or Epsom salt. Finally, rinse it off after 15-20 minutes to heal Hives rashes.
- • Prepare mint tea, pour in an ice tray and place it in the refrigerator for freezing. Wrap these cubes in a cheese cloth and place it on the affected area to reduce Hives itching and inflammation. You can use basil tea in the same way. Simple cool compresses are also beneficial in providing relief.
- • Another herbal solution for curing Hives is thyme. To follow this therapy, boil a pint of water and add half ounce of dried thyme in it. Cover the pan with a lid and let it cool. Finally, soak cotton in this liquid and apply on the affected area.
- • Drinking green tea, black tea or any herbal tea (chamomile, for instance) is useful when dealing with Hives. Plus, you can consider herbs like yellow dock, echinacea, alfalfa, and licorice.
- • Applying crushed jewel weed on the skin is valuable in getting rid of Hives. You can add it in your bath water, too.
- • For severely itching Hives, rub a paste of baking soda mixed with sufficient water (three parts baking soda and one part water). Do not apply it on broken skin, though.
- • Apply a mixture of aloe vera gel and vitamin E oil to cure Hives rashes quickly.
- • It has been found that a flavonoid called Quercetin helps prevent as well as treat Hives quickly. It has anti inflammatory properties and works as a natural anti histamine.
Examples of foods containing quercetin are onions (especially red onions), fresh apples, red grapes, tomatoes, cranberries, raspberries, broccoli, green peppers, fennel seeds, green leafy vegetables and citrus fruits.
- • Prepare a mixture by adding half cup of unflavored oatmeal, the same amount of cornstarch and a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar. Smear this paste on skin wash it off after about 15 to 30 minutes to get rid of Hives naturally. This home remedy also relieves itching to a great extent.
- • Similarly, oatmeal baths help reduce itching and soothe the skin. Moreover, you can add a few drops of lavender essential oil in it.
Here’s a video showing how to prepare an oatmeal bath.
Corticosteroids are beneficial in the treatment of severe Hives, but they should not be taken for more than five days because it increases the risk of infection. Needless to say, try to identify the underlying cause of allergy that triggers this problem in order to avoid Hives.
You can change your diet or medications (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, in particular) for a while to identify the allergen or irritant.
When searching for tips and tricks on how to get rid of Hives, keep in mind that this problem is usually not considered harmful (unless accompanied by symptoms like difficulty breathing and significant decrease in blood pressure). In most cases, it tends to clear up on its own over a period of time.