The simplest advice on how to get rid of indigestion is to take a sip of water and walk for a while. Indigestion, also known as Dyspepsia, is a feeling of discomfort in the stomach that may be associated with symptoms like bloating, heartburn, stomach pain, chest pain, belching, gas, nausea, etc.
It is usually caused by overindulgence in food, especially high-fat items. Moreover, issues like gastritis, irritable bowel syndrome, Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), peptic ulcer, chronic pancreatitis, gallbladder disease and certain other diseases may also cause the same.
Stress, fatigue, cigarette smoking, excessive alcohol consumption and intake of some antibiotics, thyroid medications, oral contraceptives, certain painkillers, and so on may lead to indigestion.
How to Get Rid of Indigestion Naturally
- • Drinking a cup of warm ginger tea is highly beneficial in relieving Indigestion. You can also add lemon juice and cinnamon sticks in it to cure the symptom of nausea. You can have peppermint tea or fennel tea as well.
- • Yogurt works as an excellent home remedy for getting rid of Indigestion. Besides, you can have ice cream to ease indigestion pain.
- • Having a glass of buttermilk mixed with crushed curry leaves, coriander leaves, a pinch of pepper and rock salt is useful in healing Indigestion.
- • Simply drinking warm water or buttermilk mixed with one gram asafetida powder is valuable in curing Indigestion. Alternatively, you can have a glass of lukewarm water mixed with two teaspoons of honey and one teaspoon each of ginger juice and lemon juice.
- • When dealing with Indigestion and diarrhea, you can eat a banana. It also works as a natural antacid for heartburn.
- • Eat ginger candy. Pregnant women can consider acupuncture therapy, too.
- • Take some ginger juice and juice extracted from holy basil. Add ground jaggery in it. Consume small amounts of this mixture along with water. Follow this therapy for a few days to reduce Indigestion and increase your appetite.
- • Drinking a solution of water mixed with an equal amount of baking soda helps you get rid of Indigestion quickly.
- • Mint juice mixed with some lemon juice, and honey is beneficial for curing digestive ailments. Besides, you may take one teaspoon of coriander leaf juice mixed with a pinch of black salt.
- • Having toasted bread is another easy way to reduce Indigestion and hyperacidity.
- • Drinking half a glass of pineapple juice after a meal works as a valuable natural remedy for treating Dyspepsia at home.
- • Having a teaspoon of Bishop’s weed (Ajwain), or fennel seeds after a meal is useful in getting rid of Indigestion and abdominal discomfort. At times, Halitosis is also associated with digestive disorders. Thus, effective indigestion cure can help eliminate bad breath, too.
Those who are prone to Indigestion problem should also include lifestyle changes like improving the diet (avoid combining carbohydrates with meats), avoid eating too fast or hurriedly, getting regular exercise, sleeping at least two to three hours after dinner (no lying down after eating), reducing excess weight, limiting the intake of caffeinated and alcoholic beverages, etc.
Here’s a video giving tips on how to cure indigestion, especially when it is caused by acid reflux.
You also need to manage stress and stay relaxed to prevent indigestion. In case you are addicted to cigarette smoking, try to quit this unhealthy addiction as soon as possible. You can take cloves, while refraining from smoking.
Apart from these natural home remedies on how to get rid of Indigestion, you can use prescription drugs and antacids for temporary relief. Plus, in order to improve digestion, regularly eat fruits like grapes and oranges.
Plus, chew ginger with salt sprinkled on it, about 10-15 minutes before having a meal to stimulate the digestive juices and avoid Indigestion.
You may also make a mixture of one teaspoon each of coriander seeds, cardamom seeds, caraway seeds and take a teaspoon of this powder along with water prior to a meal.