Keloid scars are difficult to treat. Still, you must be eager to find out how to get rid of keloids in order to reduce the benign but unsightly tissue overgrowth on the skin.
These raised scars usually develop due to overproduction of collagen after skin trauma, injury, burn, piercings, surgical cuts, etc.
Apart from the bumpy appearance, these irregular shaped lesions are characterized by symptoms like pain and itching but they are not contagious.
Keloid scars can be red, pink, dark brown or flesh-colored. Certain individuals are more prone to this problem than others.
How to get rid of Keloids naturally
- • Warm compresses are beneficial in getting rid of keloids to some extent. You can also use warm herbal tea bags to reduce the size of the scar.
- • Cleaning the area with a solution of warm water mixed with a quarter teaspoon of sea salt is useful in healing keloids.
- • Dilute apple cider vinegar in water and apply this solution on the affected area to cure keloids over a period of time. Follow this therapy for about 15-20 minutes a number of times throughout a day. In case it causes skin irritation then dilute the solution further.
- • Mix equal amounts of baking soda and 3% hydrogen peroxide. Apply this paste on the keloid scar several times in a day to reduce its size.
- • Applying a cream or gel having the serum of a brown land snail is an efficient home remedy for keloids treatment.
Researchers have found that snail serum (Helix Aspersa Muller) contains proteins, peptides, enzymes, oligoelements and glyco molecules that help repair damaged skin and control excess collagen.
- • Using a saturated solution of potassium iodide (SSKI) on the affected area at least two times in a day can help shrink the scar to some extent. However, it is suggested to discuss about these remedies with your doctor first.
- • Application of tea tree oil can help you get rid of keloids on piercings. Follow this therapy two to three times in a day. You can also use a mixture of five drops of tea tree oil and the same amount of lavender oil. You can try garlic oil as well.
- • Placing a silicon gel pad on the affected area for some months or even a year is useful in reducing keloids through pressure.
- • Regularly massaging the area with vitamin E oil helps cure this problem over a period of time. You can add aloe vera gel and cocoa butter, too and leave the mixture on skin for about half an hour. Plus, take a diet rich in vitamin C, vitamin E and zinc to facilitate the process of healing.
- • Applying a combination of calendula and coconut butter is one of the most valuable herbal remedies for getting rid of keloids considerably.
Here’s a video showing how to get rid of keloid scars on ears.
Besides, stubborn keloids can be removed by way of surgeries. Moreover, you can opt for laser treatment, steroid injections, cryosurgery, radiation therapy, compression dressings, and certain medications like Contractubex Gel or Hexilak Gel. However, keep in mind that keloids can still recure even after these treatments.
If you are wondering how to get rid of keloids from lip piercings, (which are actually hypertrophic scars) then you can try the aspirin remedy that involves applying a paste prepared from crushed aspirin and little water, just enough to form a paste.