Nausea is an unpleasant sensation in throat or stomach that makes you feel like vomiting. This discomfort impels one to look for ways on how to get rid of nausea quickly.
Moreover, when nausea is followed by vomiting, you are likely to feel more sick because it stimulates the vagus nerve thereby giving rise to reduced pulse rate and blood pressure that is sometimes manifested in the form of sweating and clammy skin.
So, before looking for temporary solutions to cure nausea, it is better to understand more about the condition to make the treatment effective. Nausea can be caused by a wide variety of factors such as:
• Motion sickness
• Strong odors
• Excessive pain
• Food Poisoning, Stomach Flu, GERD, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Gallbladder disease, Liver disease, Kidney Failure etc
• Gastroparesis (associated with Diabetes)
• Stomach irritants such as steroidal medications, smoking, alcoholic intoxication
• Migraine headache
• Bulimia (Eating Disorder)
• Brain Tumor
• Heart Attack
Hence, it essential to analyze your condition and then take relevant conventional or home medicines to relieve nausea as well as the underlying ailment. Nausea, in itself is not a serious disease unless it becomes persistent or appears as a symptom of some other disease.
How to get rid of nausea?
• When dealing with nausea, it is recommended to drink small amounts of clear liquids to abate the discomfort. You may have flat carbonated drinks as well. Lemonade is another good option.
• Having bland foods like potatoes, dry toast, applesauce, crackers (preferably salty) and so on serves as a good home remedy to get rid of nausea in pregnant women due to morning sickness.
• Ginger is considered to be one of the best natural cures for nausea. It can be taken in the form of ginger candy, syrup, ginger tea, or ginger root capsules.
• Taking 1-2 teaspoons of combination of ginger juice and onion juice mixed with a little bit of honey is useful in getting rid of nausea.
• Herbal teas like that of peppermint, chamomile, basil, slippery elm, catnip, red raspberry etc can help a great deal in reducing nausea. You can also try herbal candies.
• Prepare a remedy by keeping a mixture of cumin seeds soaked in lime juice overnight. In the morning, dry the mixture in sun and then store it. Have half a teaspoon of this homemade medicine along with a glass of lukewarm water. Follow this therapy for about 2-3 days to heal nausea naturally.
• Though not proven still, acupressure is considered useful in treating nausea. For instance, you can massage an acupressure point about 2-3 finger widths below the crease on wrist (you’ll feel the space between 2 large tendons there) for 3-5 minutes to relieve nausea.
Watch this video showing how to get rid of nausea using acupressure.
• Consumption of rice water is one of the most highly beneficial home remedies to control nausea. For this, you need to boil half a cup of rice in a cup water. Strain the mixture and collect the rice water after cooking for about 10-20 minutes.
• Drinking a cup of buttermilk mixed with 1-2 teaspoons of coriander juice about a couple of times in a day is valuable in relieving nausea.
• If you are wondering how to stop nausea naturally but without much effort then the easiest possible way to ease nausea is to have pinch of cinnamon powder. Smelling a lemon may also help.
• Boil a cup of water mixed with a teaspoon of mint leaves. Next, strain the mixture and add half a teaspoon of cardamom seed powder in it. Finally, drink the solution slowly. It works as an efficient natural remedy for home treatment of nausea.
• In case you are a fan of apple cider vinegar, you can try having a mixture of one tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and honey in a cup of water to make nausea subside.
• At times, breathing fresh air and simply lying down and relaxing can help you get rid of nausea to some extent.
• Eating banana can prove useful in avoiding nausea and vomiting caused by gastric distress.
However, in case your nausea is persistent and is accompanied by symptoms like severe headache, palpitation, fever, severe abdominal pain, dehydration, blood in vomit, extreme lethargy, confusion or other such issues, it is better to seek proper medical advice rather than searching general tips on how to get rid of nausea.
Well for 2weeks now ive been feeling like I was gonna barf. But actually never did so far. This is consistant including right now as im typing this.!!
Please reply im desperate!!:'( ever since I was little ive always hated the feeling of nausea and throwing up it hurts my sides and its just gross!!:/. I just wanna how to prevent it, besides drinking giner ale. Oh and by the way will ritz crackers help????:/
Layne Anderson says
Yea you can do the tapping excersice that helps a lot and also eating pickles and smelling lemons.
Hey! It sucks that you feel bad. I prefer saltine crackers rather than ritz. And keep drinking water and lots of it. Keep a healthy diet and you should feel fine. Try and eat an apple a day that really helps me.
UGH! I am always nauseous.. I have anxiety and depression and whenever I feel nauseous, I get more anxious.. PLEASE HELP!
About two years ago I started experiencing sever nausea in odd patterns, some months I’m fine, sometimes for two days straight I experience nausea I’ve gone to the clinic and they usually give me pills or whatever but now I’m actually starting to gag. Help!
The same thing happens to me! My doctor told me just top tale Tums and ya know it seemed to really work
How long does nausea usually last? My body temperature is always changing and I feel really bad. How do you recommend me going to sleep? This is the first time I have had this, I’m so confused.