Following easy remedies on how to get rid of nervousness can help a great deal in staying calm and reducing anxiety during stressful times. Signs and symptoms of nervousness vary from one person to another.
Usually, it is characterized by emotional tension, restlessness, fear, agitation, panic, irritability, lack of concentration, rapid heartbeat, sweating, dry mouth, nausea, upset stomach, frequent urination, headache, muscle tension, trembling, shortness of breath, insomnia, etc. Under normal circumstances, feelings of nervousness can be overcome by using certain techniques.
How to get rid of nervousness
- Drinking orange juice mixed with one teaspoon of nutmeg and two tablespoons of honey can cure nervousness and anxiety in a natural way.
- Foods rich in carbohydrates (opt for complex carbohydrates instead of simple carbohydrates), proteins, vitamin C and B vitamins can help relieve nervousness to some extent.Thus, you can have nuts, beans, yogurt, soybean, tofu, yellow corn, cheese, whole grain bread, spinach, lentils (for brain clarity), bell peppers, potatoes, mushrooms, brown rice, bananas and dairy products to fight stress. Peanuts, strawberries, oranges, apples, avocadoes, and grapefruits are also helpful.
- Simply inhaling the rejuvenating aroma of orange peels is believed to help reduce nervousness and create mental focus. Another natural remedy to relieve nervousness is to put an orange in a pan filled with boiling water and inhale the citrus steam.
- Add two teaspoons of peppermint leaves and one teaspoon of valerian root in two cups of boiling water. Steep the solution for about half an hour. Finally, strain and drink this tea to get rid of nervousness.
- Massaging your hands, feet and temples with a combination of almond oil and a few drops of lavender oil helps reduce nervousness. You can light scented candles as well for soothing effect. Aromatherapy through rosemary, mint and lavender oil is valuable in healing this problem.
- Stay away from caffeine and alcohol; instead opt for herbal teas to calm your nerves. For instance, you can try lavender tea, lemon balm tea, catnip tea, chamomile tea, rosemary tea, sage tea, kava tea, etc. Make sure you stay hydrated because even mild dehydration tends to increase anxiety.
- Herbal infusions prepared from valerian, passionflower, scullcap, linden flowers, St. John’s Wort, and so on are highly beneficial in healing nervousness. Valerian, in particular, is one of the most widely used herbal remedy for getting rid of nervousness, anxiety and stress.
- When dealing with stomach cramps and gastrointestinal upsets due to nervousness, drink fennel tea. To prepare this tea, grind three teaspoons of fennel seeds and place this powder in a cup. Now, pour boiling water in the cup and enjoy the refreshing drink. You can also add orange juice in it.
- Feverfew tea helps relieve anxiety and headache.Here’s a video giving some tips on how to get rid of nervousness when speaking in public.
- If your nervousness is accompanied by bad breath, you can try having cinnamon chewing gum to remove nervous tension and refresh your breath.
- Exercise regularly. You can either engage in proper workout or simply go for daily walks/jogs. These physical activities help release a chemical in the brain that modulates moods and emotions.
- Practicing deep breathing exercises for relaxation is helpful in controlling nervousness.
- At times, issues like hyperthyroidism, hypogycemia, diabetes, anemia, Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS), intake of certain medications, etc. tend to increase anxiety and nervousness. So, check for these in order to treat the problem effectively.In case the anxiety symptoms are disrupting your daily routine and none of the techniques and strategies are helping you calm down then it is better to seek professional help.
Apart from these tips and tricks on how to get rid of nervousness and anxiety, you can take help of inspiring and motivational quotes for encouragement. Imagine yourself succeeding in the activity that is making you nervous to remove your fears and bring positivity.
Plus, surround yourself with colors like violet, indigo, blue, and orange for calming the nerves and removing fear. Turquoise relieves mental fatigue and encourages clarity in thoughts.
Real difficulties can be overcome, it is only the imaginary ones that are unconquerable.
– Theodore N. Vail