Onions add a nice pungent flavor in dishes and salads. However, having savored such a delicious meal, you are likely to look for ways on how to get rid of onion breath fast.
The reason is that the taste of onion, especially raw onion, usually lingers in the mouth resulting in a nasty onion smell in the mouth for quite a while.
Moreover, when your food gets digested, the odor molecules reach the lungs through the bloodstream, thereby giving rise to foul onion breath when you exhale.
It has been observed that yellow onion gives rise to more pungent onion breath than vidalia onions, spring onions, green onions, chives and scallions.
How to get rid of Onion Breath naturally
- The simplest solution for removing onion breath and taste from mouth is to have a cup of strong black coffee after an onion dominated meal.
- Chewing fresh parsley sprigs is one of the most effective natural home remedies on how to get rid of onion breath. You can also sprinkle some salt on it.
- Drinking green tea or herbal tea is highly beneficial in curing onion breath naturally. Those who love lemonades can try that as well. Plus, drink more water.
- Grapefruit, pineapple or any other citrus juice may help treat this problem at home. You can also have crunchy foods like apple or carrot to refresh your breath temporarily.
- Having mashed potatoes, mushrooms or mustard sauce (swish one teaspoon in the mouth for a minute, spit it out, then swallow half teaspoon again and swallow it this time) is also beneficial.
- Rinsing the mouth with two teaspoons of mustard oil mixed with half a teaspoon of salt is useful in treating bad breath.
- Chewing fennel seeds after enjoying an onion-rich meal or snack serves as a natural cure for getting rid of onion breath. In addition, fennel seeds aid in digestion and have a soothing effect on the stomach.
- Eating cardamom seeds immediately after consuming onion hides onion breath.
- Having mint flavored candies and chewing gums are useful in masking onion breath, to some extent. Moreover, taking a mouth freshener provides temporary relief. You can use a mint spray, too.
- Rinsing your mouth with a good mouth wash is helpful in healing bad breath created by onion. Needless to say, brush your teeth thoroughly after having a meal. Remember to scrape your tongue.
- When dealing with onion breath, having a shot of vodka works in reducing the onion smell.
- Rinsing your mouth with a cup of water mixed with half a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar removes bad breath. Follow this home treatment by gargling with this solution for about 10 seconds.
You can follow these therapies individually or combine them to get rid of onion breath quickly. This herb has various health benefits like reducing blood pressure, controlling diabetes, boosting immunity, inducing sleep, curing congestion, killing germs, etc. Thus, it is essential to find effective measures to deal with the disadvantage of consuming onions.
In case you are searching for remedies about eliminating the strong smell of onion from your skin then you can use stainless steel soap or rub your hands on stainless steel spoon, etc.
Basically, it reduces onion, garlic or fish smell by neutralizing the reaction of the odor-producing sulfur compounds on coming in contact with the metal.
Applying a little amount of toothpaste on skin and then washing it off is another easy remedy for getting rid of onion smell from hands and skin.
Those who have sensitive skin need not follow this tip as toothpaste may cause burning sensation. Chopping celery after working with onion is another popular suggestion.
Another common use associated with onions is that causes eye irritation while slicing. To avoid this, you can immerse onions in a bowl of water or freeze them for a while before peeling and chopping them.
If you have further suggestions on how to get rid of onion breath and taste in mouth, feel free to share your valuable advice or secret tips and tricks with us.